Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters (2016)

Bill Murray is supposed to die in the first few minutes of the film. Unless they concoct some way to bring him back to life before the credits roll then it's pretty much going to be a kick in the junk coming out the gate.

The new crew is a solid idea but all the names that have been thrown around (Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Jonah Hill) are entirely unappealing to me for Ghostbusters leads.

I didn't give a fuck about Oscar in Ghostbusters 2 and I sure don't now.

The Office is a great show but I'm entirely unconvinced the writers can turn in a good Ghostbusters 3 draft, and their prior attempt at a movie (Year One) is deservedly call for alarm.

I say, dig out Dan Akroyd's original darker and scarier script for the first movie, retrofit it as a sequel instead of part 1. You can have your Murray death, you can maybe even toss in Ghostbusters generation 2. Plus you have hover cars and the Ghostbusters going to Hell.

That scarier script was explored in the game.

While some of your points are good, I can't agree with all. Killing of Venkman

and bringing him back as a ghost is brilliant!

I agree with your negativity on the choices for new Busters, but who can they get. Who would you approve of? Oscar coming back and Ghostbusting? Awesome (but only if it's Michael Cera)! AND it's reviled

that he's Peter's son!

More awesomeness!

I do also agree with you on the Year One thing. I'm a little weary about those writers because of that movie. They are so perfect on the Office. Movies? Not so much.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

boooo

Roughly six months after dropping significant plot details, Dan Aykroyd has an update about Ghostbusters 3 and the likelihood of both Bill Murray and Rick Moranis returning. Speaking with Empire, the actor hints that the former could end up being played by a different actor altogether.

"We communicate frequently and his position on the involvement in 'Ghostbusters 3' has been made clear and I respect that," says Aykroyd, who the magazine also claims suggested a possible "Jack Ryan" style recasting.

Aykroyd seems a bit more optimistic about Rick Moranis' potential return as Louis Tully, even though the actor has been retired from show business for 15 years.

"If we can get the script to 'Ghostbusters 3' right, then it would definitely have Moranis as a major component," Aykroyd explains. "None of us would want to do the movie without having him as a participant."

no murray, no sale. you're on your own here, panch!

107_1130141824_South_Park_God_Dammit_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

It should be "no Murray, no MOVIE". I'd rather there be no film at all, then... ^that. FUCK! Why can't he just come in, do a scene where he dies then sit in a studio for the rest of the shoot providing dialog for a CG ghost of himself? Please Bill, please!

• 4 months later...

For reference on the level of how frustrated I am with this vapor-film: I still have candles in my window burning night and day in hopes that Evil Dead 4, Phantasm 5, Subspecies 5, and Maniac Cop 4 will happen. That is how annoyed I am at Ghostbusters 3 that I hold out more hope for 4 of the most unlikely movies to ever be made over it.

• 2 years later...

bill-murray-ghostbusters.gif

..so that rerelease sure was neat, wasn't it? but back to III:

Ghostbusters 3 to be a reboot, focus on female cast

YkqWJNj.jpg

the comics are already trying it - it's a bit weird having Jeannine on the team, but it oddly works

Bill Murray Reveals The Women He'd Choose For 'Ghostbusters 3'

and, again, i say let Wes Anderson direct it just to get Bill on board at this point

• 3 weeks later...

New Ghostbusters Movie is coming

The path to the new Ghostbusters movie has been long and full of detours. Long planned as Ghostbusters 3, with the original team meant to return in some fashion, the sequel is now more like a reboot.

Paul Feig, director of Bridesmaids and The Heat among others, came on to direct earlier this year. Feig’s plan is to have a female team of Ghostbusters band together to, well, do the same thing that the previous team did. Now Feig has turned to someone he has successfully worked with in the past. The Heat screenwriter Katie Dippold will write the new Ghostbusters movie with Feig.

As for the screenwriting hire, THR reports the new movement on the film but doesn’t have a timeline for production. At this point, we don’t even know if this will be Feig’s next movie.

Previous incarnations of Ghostbusters 3 were scripted by Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg, with a couple revisions done over the past few years. Most lately that script was revised after Harold Ramis died. But ultimately that script, which featured some of the original Ghostbusters passing the torch to a new team, was scrapped in favor of this new take.

We don’t know how Feig and Dippold will script this team, or whether their story will explicitly connect to the earlier films.

We do know that Feig has proven to be particularly adept at casting and guiding films such as Bridesmaids and The Heat, and having The Heat writer on board here will hopefully bring some great new material to the table.

B9CSbdv.png

So if Feig is writing and directing it's pretty much a lock we'll see most of the cast from Bridesmaids in this film, right? The concept of female Ghostbusters doesn't bug me, but I'm really wishing they would've gotten Akyroyd to co-write or consult or something. The whole concept of Ghostbusters was was his and Harold Ramis' to begin with. Meh. Holla back when there's a trailer.