Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters (2016)

http://screenrant.co...ed-cut-blu-ray/

'GHOSTBUSTERS EXTENDED EDITION' COMING TO BLURAY

Feig stated:

“We actually just finished [the extended cut] so it’s about another 15 minutes longer, but I will also include a lot of the deleted scenes and extra material that we have on the DVD. It’s actually some stuff that we finished the VFX on just because we wanted to have this nice-looking extended cut too, so it was very kind of the studio to let us finish all of that.”

That was quick.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

To be fair, movie release time in general from theater to home is much easier than it was back in the day. This means as soon as the movie is wrapped they can edit the home version damn near alongside the theater release. It's not a bad thing since it keep the movie fresh in the directors/casts mind while they do things like commentary.

Ugh - I shouldn't have watched that. Now my expectations are 'so low - they're right next to fuckin' dinosaur bones'. LOL!

Naw, I don't mind spoilers when it comes to this flick - plus, I don't always agree w/ these guys. Mike loved X-Men Origins: Wolverine (w/ the shitty Deadpool), Michael Bay's TMNT and Jurassic World - but slams shit like Independence Day (1996).

Still, interesting to hear their perspective and as always - entertaining. Mike was totally drunk in this - I half expected him to slam that half-drunken crystal skull against the wall.

• 3 weeks later...

'Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

That was the studio's last public mention of a sequel. As of Aug. 7, Ghostbusters had earned just under $180 million at the global box office, including $117 million domestic. The film still hasn't opened in a few markets, including France, Japan and Mexico, but box-office experts say it will have trouble getting to $225 million despite a hefty net production budget of $144 million plus a big marketing spend. The studio has said break-even would be $300 million.

manbabies all around are no doubt happy with this news, really bummed to hear we're likely not seeing more of it.

i honestly don't know what's the bigger failure here: giving an ensemble comedy that budget, or hoping even a high RT score would overcome the amount of hate poured onto this effort for not "respecting the franchise" and taking the safe, all-male route. just disappointing all around.

'Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

manbabies all around are no doubt happy with this news, really bummed to hear we're likely not seeing more of it.

i honestly don't know what's the bigger failure here: giving an ensemble comedy that budget, or hoping even a high RT score would overcome the amount of hate poured onto this effort for not "respecting the franchise" and taking the safe, all-male route. just disappointing all around.

This summer hasn't been kind to poorly marketed movies. Star Trek Beyond also suffered from some horrible trailers and is not doing well at the BO either. Ghostbusters, if properly marketed probably could have done a lot better. But those trailers were BAD and created a bad first impression of the movie. Then again $144 million for a Fieg movie is really damned high, I was looking at his previous budgets, and neither came close. Considering how much they've been talking sequels, those are probably safe if Blu Ray sales are good.

yeah, i was thinking ID4 & others prolly didn't fare well...and again, yeah, crazy budget for a comedy. you can see where it went action-y at parts (and i'm not gonna say it was the best CG $ spent either, but it works), plus im hearing Feig may have shot a ton of other stuff too...guess we'll know when a complete disc is out

• 3 months later...

Ivan Reitman Says There Are ”Many” More ‘Ghostbusters’ Movies in Development

ghostcorps-logo-700x307.jpg

Ivan Reitman was the original director and producer of Ghostbusters back in 1984, and he took a producing role on the reboot as well. He was recently interviewed on the Mr. Wavvy podcast (via ComicBook.com) where he indicated that there are still big plans for the future of the Ghostbusters franchise. Reitman offered this quick quote on the matter:

There’s going to be many other Ghostbusters movies, they’re just in development right now.

Does that mean the possibility of a sequel to this year’s reboot could possibly still be in the cards? If it’s possible, you can expect a much lower budget for the sequel this time around, which could benefit the movie. Feig’s Ghostbusters felt like it was trying too hard to be a blockbuster tentpole in its third act, abandoning what worked fairly well in the first half of the movie.

However, you might remember that we heard rumblings of an entire line-up of Ghostbusters movies being in the works over at then newly established Ghost Corps. production banner at Sony. One of them was supposed to be another Ghostbusters starring Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt, and another was an animated Ghostbusters movie that landed a director earlier this year. Those are probably part of the “many” movies that Reitman is talking about, but maybe there are even more. Those aforementioned rumors also indicated that several supernatural themed movies may also be developed that could exist in the Ghostbusters universe.

tumblr_o3h37546Pl1v6mqeeo2_540.gif

I bet if they focus on another 'canon' tale in the 'classic universe' (the animated movie)...first - the brand has the potential to recover. It could serve as a soft reboot - it could have that 'passing of the torch' moment, paving the way for future live-action films w/ that revolving door of different casts / settings, while taking place in the 'classic' universe.

I say let the all-female, hard reboot no one asked for be a one-off. Move on. Absolutely wrong direction for this franchise. "A sequel is too hard? Okay, well - thank you for your time - NEXT!" Ghostbusters is a legendary film w/ a ginormous fanbase - gotta honer 'em both if you expect to tap into that - can't just dismiss either. Get someone who loves what it is and wants to expand it.

Right now, it's like the Michael Bay stuff. Anybody could be making these things - the content could be garbage...the brand name alone is going to make them millions - but, they'll lose that 'older' fanbase (I'd argue they've already lost the guarantee that their butts will be in those seats in future sequels)...and I think these particular films (at this point) should be focusing on recovering their 'older' fanbase and respecting what the iconic films established.

Granted, I'm sure not every 'older' fan wants more films in the classic universe and prefer a hard reboot - but, I'm sure a vast amount of 'Ghostheads' would love exactly that. Fix it, Sony.

I saw the reboot, btw. Long post short (too late!), I ain't buying dat.

I'd tune in to this -

Screen-Shot-2016-03-09-at-9.34.21-PM.png

Saw it; it was cute. Had a bit of the old vibe but the whole thing felt... off. Honestly, the film could have been called "Ghost Patrol" or "Adventures in Paranormal Investigations and Eliminations" and it would have fit. Was the film too generic? I'm still down for making the next sequel based on the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon series; it had it's own gravitas as well as nostalgia. But in the end, as Aykroyd and Ramis have said, the 2009 Ghostbusters video game was essentially the third movie of the original series.

Yeah, that Video Game was so well done - that was for the fans. That was a product, made in the right 'spirit' - zoink! An animated movie done in the same vein could be a perfect fit - and potentially really successful. There could be a series of straight-to-video adventures - like the DC animated movies. Expanding the classic universe (2 whole films - LOL!) is such a no-brainer and a damn shame the 'creatives' (term used very loosely) in charge are too greedy to see it. I've said this before - I feel really bad for Aykroyd. I'd love to see a proper sequel pulled from Aykroyd's head - ironically, the animated medium might be a great venue.

I bet even if just a few Hondonians (who give a shit) put their heads together, they could come up w/ a live-action idea infinitely more exciting and interesting than what that reboot was. Using the past 2 movies as a basis, having the use of only 2 old Ghostbusters - w/ an objective to introduce an all-new cast to set up the future of the series - isn't an impossible task.

I'm ok with this if only to make misogynists cry more.

Buzzfeed_Feminist_Ghostbusters_4.JPG

Ghostbusters_002.JPG

10aji4.jpg

Those reboot cameos were painful.

giphy.gif

Another adventure in the classic universe could be very awesome - 'specially animated.

ZZ442B281D.jpg

ZZ28FAA1AC.jpg

ZZ3C67306C.jpg

ZZ7E358222.jpg

The animated series (Real Ghostbusters and it's sequel Extreme) take place in an alternate reality from the movies. Maybe the animated movie will merge the 'movie' GB and the RGB / XGB cartoons - like they did w/ the Video Game? I think the upcoming animated series (taking place 50 years in the future?) is gonna be based on this 2016 reboot.

...nah

the "older fans" can't make peace with the fact that 1 was great, but it was lightning in a bottle that even the sequel very clearly couldn't recapture - and it's been 30 something years. the reboot was fun, and possibly better than we deserved.

feel how you want to feel about it, but you're not gonna convince me most of that older fanbase really gave this a shot, the backlash reeked of misogyny & still does. the video game really was what tied up the the older storyline, and there's a good comic & long running animated series if that somehow wasn't enough. it's time to let the series move on, or die.

ghostheads_fb-cover-photo_658x370.jpg

Weird doc on Netflix about the 'older' fanbase and the hype leading up to the new movie.

I think GB2 'failed' 'cuz it tried too hard to be what the RGB cartoon was. With the GB explosion - what came wasn't an immediate sequel, but a cartoon. A massively successful cartoon. When the eventual sequel finally hit - after yeeeeaaars of demand and anticipation, the GB brand had become a much more family friendly and cartoony...thing - which is what we got: a sequel very different than the first one. I love cartoons - so I loved it!

That was the appeal for me w/ this reboot - that cartoony aesthetic. I hated the idea of a reboot over a sequel - but...it's Ghostbusters! I could give a fuck about gender - but when gender, like race, is used as a tool and shield...not a fan.

Everybody gave this is a shot - unless like, you've made some sort of psychotic vow to never watch. Everyone had an opinion going in, granted - but, it's Ghostbusters. Kind of sorta up there w/ Star Wars. It's kind of a beloved film. You're gonna have an opinion and expectations going in - it's been in demand for decades!

I hated the unnecessary rehash / remake vibe, coupled w/ what I felt was manipulation and artificial controversy - so I decided not to contribute to their box-office. I just waited till it hit Redbox. My feelings are - aside from the bitching and moaning - that the die-hards actually wanted it to succeed more than the casual SJWs, who've maybe seen the originals once or twice in their lifetime.

I really do feel - that if the 2016 effort was a direct sequel and the new recruits were all-female, w/ the exact same cast - the reaction wouldn't have been so caustic. No one wanted a reboot - I find it hard to believe that men are that threatened by 'strong females'...or what, can't be Ghostbusters? I actually find that 'reality' silly. I think the internet is just really, really fucking mean. There are worse misogynistic things celebrated in our culture - and no one sez boo. Strong females are everywhere.

it's time to let the series move on, or die.

1191022.jpg?b64lines=bmV2ZXIhCgoKCgoKCgoKCgo=

LOL - wink.png

• Upvote 1

And that's fine, Tom Hardy will never be closeted-skeletons Mel Gibson but I'd rather see nu-Max's adventures than watching an increasingly crotchety and out of shape Mel destroy the property further in incarnations until eternity. And animated spinoff sequels never work.

Edited by Iambaytor

Aykroyd and Hudson could be crotchety and out of shape, but I bet they could still be funny - and make fanboys smile w/ their mere presence. I'd totally be fine if they never put on a proton pack, these really aren't action-heavy movies like Mad Max and Indiana Jones - they're fx-heavy comedies. I never expected the ol' skoo' to be runnin' around - still busting ghosts, but more like an 'old and out of shape funny return' - back by 'popular demand' - LOL!

I liked the tech-angle they barely touched on w/ reboot - I think I mentioned way back, that could be a focus or a plot-device in a GB3. Since Egon has died, they lost the 'main-brains' behind the tech and there's a sudden need to reverse-engineer and figure out what Egon did. A need to rebuild and upgrade the tech for whatever new threat - could totally serve as an updated origin w/ the ol' skoo' being guiding hands. Fx-heavy comedy ensues, while honoring / acknowledging / respecting the past. Everybody's happy. The cameos (Janine / Venkman) more of meaningful treat as fans love those characters. These things live and die by the fans - being old, useless, outdated and unwanted is such a funny angle to play with.

"My dad says you guys are full of crap."

dan-and-jason-rietman-gb2.jpg