Hondo's Bar

Blargh - The Random Thread

The NZA

Dolphins love you

story.dolphins.afp.jpg

Dolphins save swimmers from shark

Monday, November 22, 2004 Posted: 10:29 PM EST (0329 GMT)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Reuters) -- A pod of dolphins circled protectively round a group of New Zealand swimmers to fend off an attack by a great white shark, media reported on Tuesday.

Lifesavers Rob Howes, his 15-year-old daughter Niccy, Karina Cooper and Helen Slade were swimming 100 metres (300 feet) off Ocean Beach near Whangarei on New Zealand's North Island when the dolphins herded them -- apparently to protect them from a shark.

"They started to herd us up, they pushed all four of us together by doing tight circles around us," Howes told the New Zealand Press Association (NZPA).

Howes tried to drift away from the group, but two of the bigger dolphins herded him back just as he spotted a three-meter (nine feet) great white shark swimming towards the group.

"I just recoiled. It was only about 2 meters (6 feet) away from me, the water was crystal clear and it was as clear as the nose on my face," Howes said.

"They had corralled us up to protect us," he said.

The lifesavers spent the next 40 minutes surrounded by the dolphins before they could safely swim back to shore.

The incident happened on October 30, but the lifesavers kept the story to themselves until now.

Environment group Orca Research said dolphins attacked sharks to protect themselves and their young, so their actions in protecting the lifesavers was understandable.

"They could have sensed the danger to the swimmers and taken action to protect them," Orca's Ingrid Visser told NZPA.

Ann Coulter: spin, spin sugar

Using classical Marxist thinking, liberals can't fathom how issues like abortion and gay marriage could trump ordinary people's economic interests -– which liberals axiomatically assume are furthered by the Democrats' offers of government assistance. Democrats are saying to voters: How can you be so stupid to subordinate your own selfish economic interests to "moral values," the betterment of the country and the general welfare of people you don't even know?

this is what you get when you take the ability of women to turn around an argument on you (i think its the double x chromosome, personally) and put that into a pundit. Lookit that more closely; its like youre being told voting on social issues was "selfiish", and those republicans voted from their heart, god bless 'em!

No, i dont like her much, but from a semantic point of view, that was impressive, nice on Ann.

currently bootlegging:

NaS

Eminem

9th Wonder & Pete Rock

Black Moon

Eric B & Rakim

DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince

Common

Brand Nubian

Madvillian

The Roots

Wordsmith