Hondo's Bar

Disney to aquire Marvel in 4 billion dollar deal

Signal08

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/31/news/compa...arvel/index.htm

Disney to buy Marvel for $4 billion

Walt Disney Co. will purchase the comic book company behind X-Men and Spider-Man.

Last Updated: August 31, 2009: 10:19 AM ET

Disney will buy the comic book company for $4 billion.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Walt Disney Co. announced Monday that it has agreed to purchase comic book and action hero company Marvel Entertainment for about $4 billion.

If Marvel shareholders approve the deal, they would receive $30 per share in cash and 0.745 shares of Disney for each share of Marvel that they hold. The deal is valued at $50 per Marvel share, more than a 29% premium, based on Friday's closing price.

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," said Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger, in a statement.

Marvel has launched a large number of action-hero movies over the past decade. Last summer's "Iron Man" blockbuster was the first to be fully financed and produced by by the comic book company.

Marvel also holds the rights to 5,000 popular action hero characters, including Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four and Thor.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Marvel Chief Executive Ike Perlmutter. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

Shares of Marvel (MVL) soared 27% in morning trading. Shares of Disney (DIS, Fortune 500) were flat.

Reason for edit: quit being so nosey

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Disney will give Marvel more room, but I have never liked the way Disney operates with their lame ass layoffs... then hosting job fairs within months. Now that they make PG-13 movies, nothing really comes as a surprise, but Walt Disney would have never stood for Disney making a film beyond PG.

It would be nice to see Disney give Marvel their own theme park. Marvel has plenty of resources to have their own gig.

*sigh* Marvel MAX, we hardly knew ye. here's to hoping disney's as hands-off as WB is with DC, we'll see.

i guess it kinda makes sense since marvel has their own studios and needs bigger funding, hopefully they dont butt heads like with miramax. ugh, i dont like disney though. if marvel staff like avi arad could dictate editorial content based on the movies, i fear that could get worse here...we'll see. hard to say when joe q is just gonna talk it up from whatever angle.

also, doesnt marvel already have a theme park right around disney?

kingdom hearts is many things - ill designed musicals/levels, dont know that ive ever seen "badass" with it.

News bigger than my own comeback. Wow. I thought the Marvel theme park was at Universal Studios? Nick don't you live in fucking Florida?! How do you not know this??Funny I thought of the Kingdom Hearts thing too might be awesome...Why does it have to be bad? I mean honestly if they fuck it up all they do is stand to LOSE money and I sure they don't want that.Who's the leader of the club made for you and me?News bigger than my own comeback. Wow. I thought the Marvel theme park was at Universal Studios? Nick don't you live in fucking Florida?! How do you not know this??Funny I thought of the Kingdom Hearts thing too might be awesome...Why does it have to be bad? I mean honestly if they fuck it up all they do is stand to LOSE money and I sure they don't want that.Who's the leader of the club made for you and me?

Great, now we're gonna have Namor/Little Mermaid, Beast/'Beauty and the Beast' Beast and Goofy/Deadpool crossovers. Seriously though, goodbye Marvel MAX. Goodbye Marvel Icon line. Goodbye on-panel deaths. And sadly, goodbye Jessica Jones getting railroaded by big, black Luke Cage.

Marvel level in Kingdom Hearts... dumb.

Great, now we're gonna have Namor/Little Mermaid, Beast/'Beauty and the Beast' Beast and Goofy/Deadpool crossovers. Seriously though, goodbye Marvel MAX. Goodbye Marvel Icon line. Goodbye on-panel deaths. And sadly, goodbye Jessica Jones getting railroaded by big, black Luke Cage.

Marvel level in Kingdom Hearts... dumb.

Woah. WOAH!! No crazy talkin' now. If something happened to my beloved Powers, I might just kill Will Eisner.

This... this will not end well.

I want to believe you're wrong, but I've got an eerie feeling you & the other sayers of nay could be very, very right. We might not notice the repercussions until years down the line, but I can't help but feel there will be negative repercussions for fanboys. We're in the midst of a golden age for fanboys--more comics than you can shake a stick at and the characters we love are now being given quality treatment in other mediums. This buy-out could either be the heralding of the end of this new golden age of geekdom or it could possibly breath new life into the industry. Only time will tell...

Hannah Montanna X #1 in stores soon!

DA's a closet, repeatin-ass disney fan? the fuck?

just talked to panch - i tend to think a) bigger budgets for films, b) yes disney could very well make marvel animated for its channel but fuck family values, disney (by show of miramax) is still a corporate whore who'll put out when there's money to be made. and c) honestly, does anyone think they give anymore a fuck of the day-to-day comic shit than WB does with DC? they want in on licensing, merchandise and films. until every major paper runs the "SPIDER-MAN FEATURES VENOM FUCKING MARY JANE TO DEATH WITH SYMBIOTE PHALLUSES" i dont believe they're gonna be on the phone with the editor-in-chief much, and history's shown the industry's its own worst enemy with censorship, with or without disney. i dont see disney wanting to fuck with the studios making money, i see them wanting a piece of the pie. again, im not excited but we'll see.

This is true and I do have a feeling they're going to be more of a silent partner or giant cutesy money-devouring parasite. Either way I think they'll probably let Marvel do their own thing. My previous post was after simply reading "Disney buys Marvel" but after looking around the internet and reading about how the heads of Pixar and Marvel got to talking so excitedly that the corporate folks told them to calm down because the deal wasn't final yet, that helps me feel a bit better. So long as they let the company remain independent as they have Miramax then I'm okay with.

Also I don't think you're all thinking about the Kingdom Hearts/Marvel thing hard enough. We could potentially see a Cloud vs. Dr. Doom thing here. Think about it really hard.

well, they're already talking about the game properties. if it was up to me, all contracts'd be canceled and sent to capcom, but whatever.

im not saying the house of the mouse has to be the ones directly doing it, but id love for some financing to push marvel animated closer to where DC's at. past Hulk/Wolverine, i feel they havent honestly tried shit since that MTV spidey cartoon years back. Ultimate Avengers, Iron man etc all looked/felt like trying to reach to an audience too big and pleasing none.

I've moved this to the Economics forum and left a link in the Fantastic Forum. Besides the fact that it is about a corporate buy-out, Marvel choose recently (depending on what you want to call 'recently') to become Marvel Entertainment rather than Marvel Comics, to emphasize their commitment to multiple media platforms, and frankly, with all due respect to connoisseurs of the graphic novel medium, I don't think it's the comic book end of Marvel's business that has interested Disney. It's the film and television market, and possibly the toy market they are interested in.

Edit: Never mind, seems it was moved back before I could finish my post.

I think Disney will give Marvel more room, but I have never liked the way Disney operates with their lame ass layoffs... then hosting job fairs within months. Now that they make PG-13 movies, nothing really comes as a surprise, but Walt Disney would have never stood for Disney making a film beyond PG.

It would be nice to see Disney give Marvel their own theme park. Marvel has plenty of resources to have their own gig.

Fuck, I clicked mulitquote on this and I cannot remember why. Whatever I was gonna say I agree with whatever bad things have been said. This isn't good. I don't see how this can go in a good direction. Even if Disney back off and say "Hey guys, you are all raking in the fanboys we'll let you do your stuff" I still don't see how Marvel can recover from the sheer "street cred" blow this has dealt them. Many a fanboy will have his nose in the air. I'm not really a fanboy but I have mine in the air. JZA's taught me this much.

Archived