Hondo's Bar

Breaking Bad

The NZA

I think that's kind of the point. It's been about taking a character that you have loads of sympathy for in the beginning and slowly transforming him into someone you just feel more and more uncomfortable having sympathy for until you realize 'oh, wait, he's not the good guy anymore...he's the bad guy...when exactly did that happen?'

Oh, it's very much the point, especially when you think about the title of the show. It's just incredibly well done. Familiarity breeds contempt brought to television. I guess I should have been clearer in that I am praising the writing and acting of this show for managing it so well.

What I am really looking forward to finiding out is who Gus really is. They keep alluding to some importance beyond what we know and it's killing me.

I imagine the idea for this show came from Vince Gilligan watching a news report about a drug bust and thinking "how do people get like this?" and letting it snowball from there. Things precede very logically (to a degree) and you really see how someone could go this way, but I don't think Walter was ever good. I think Walter has always been an asshole that acts like a nice guy, I think he and Skyler have always been a terrible couple and that Skyler has always been a pretty ugly person on the inside as well, they just never came across anything challenging enough until this point. Inversely I think Jesse is a good guy who screwed up when he was young and never properly got a chance to redeem himself, he's a decent person at heart and that's come out more and more with the show. Same story with Hank and Marie, Hank treated Marie and everybody else like shit, she was a klepto, he was a bit racist, but they were thrown into the fire and they came out as better people, the exact mirror of Walt and Skyler. I think the idea may have originally been to show a good person becoming bad, but really the show is more about how nobody is really who they seem to be until they've faced hardship.

Positive. I'm much prettier than Ryan. And I have breasts which automatically makes me smarter.

Althought, his chest size is closely approaching my own these days...

Moving along, Ryan has a theory. I don't know if I missed it or what...

Gale is gay and has a crush on Walt. I did not see that. I saw a man with some idol worship going on and maybe he was weird... Did anyone else pick up on that?

Kirk and Spock aren't secretly gay, nor have they ever been. The implication that two men can't care about each other without the desire for romantic entanglement is really sexist.

He referred to him as "My star, my perfect silence." The use of the word "my" and the tenderness of the statement strike me as a bit more than simple admiration.

Edited by Iambaytor

Fantastic episode! I loved all the mirroring/call-backs to previous episodes. Especially the opening!

I loved the time jump open like in S5E1. That was the ricin he got from behind the socket faceplate, right? WTF is that about?

Also, for someone as smart as Walt is, I don't know why he can't see Jesse isn't buying his bullshit. You know Mike being dead is going to come back later on. Not sure why he wasn't just honest with Jesse. Is Walt just lying b/c it's second nature to him by now?

Did anyone catch the new Talking Bad recap show? I missed it.

I forgot about talking bad! Hopefully I can find a good download of that also.

concerning the ricin. Who knows why he actually went to get it, but I think it's become this sort of mythical thing. It hasn't been used yet, but has tried to be the solution to all of walt's problems in the past. Maybe this time around, whatever he uses it for, it might actually get him out of the obvious deep shit he is in. Not likely though

is that new show the one where they minor actors from the hit shows and made it their own? Like Morgan from Walking Dead and Gale?

Edited by axel_napalm

Yeah, "Mogan" is on that new show with Mark Strong. The acting is phenomenal, the story seems cool, but I don't know... maybe it's because I'm watching too many shows at the moment that my brain doesn't want to watch another one. I'll stick with it for one more episode.

Also, for someone as smart as Walt is, I don't know why he can't see Jesse isn't buying his bullshit. You know Mike being dead is going to come back later on. Not sure why he wasn't just honest with Jesse. Is Walt just lying b/c it's second nature to him by now?

I think he knows that Jesse doesn't buy it, but still feels sticking to his story is the best strategy.