Hondo's Bar

Breaking Bad

The NZA

yeah, agreed with the last 2 posts

fantastic first ep back, the playing with the timeline thing is such a great "WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED" dynamic, especially when you realize that walt = hisenberg is now public knowledge, heh

like panch, the garage door coming down was crazy tense but just the transition of walt going from "how you feeling, buddy?" to "even if you could prove anything..." to finally the tread lightly bit...i said goddamn

Watched Talking Bad and I think it addressed all of your questions.

Yep, just watched it and Julie Bowen seemed to give the Vince Gilligan approved answer...

Walt needed Jesse to believe him about Mike b/c otherwise Jesse becomes a liability, and Walt will have to likely kill Jesse. And Walt doesn't want to kill Jesse b/c it'd mean a true and complete turning to "the dark side."

So in less than three weeks I have caught up with GoT and Breaking Bad. That's 8 years of nonconcurrent television in about 18 days.... bitch.

Bang, betroth, bludgeon. Skyler, Jesse, Walt.

Amazing show. It's competing with Battlestar Galactica in my estimation. Which is a big thing for me to say. Every episode takes its time and just grips your attention totally even if something pretty mundane is happening onscreen.

I'm surprised the memes haven't made reference to Aaron Paul's appearance in the Korn video 'Thoughtless'. It's basically Jesse in high school for 4 minutes.

• Upvote 1

That episode was over way too soon. It did a good job of ratcheting up the tension.

I like how

Hank has kind of painted himself into a corner. He can't exactly strut into the office while his bad guy was under his nose the whole time. At the same time any proof he gathers has to be above board. I'm looking forward to seeing how these events lead up to assault rifle toting, beardy 52 year old Walt scaring the neighbours shitless.

Edited by crimsonfire

S5E10 in a word: Daaaaamn. These final 8 episodes seem to be almost as much about Hank as Walt--which is working out pretty well so far.

My predictions for next week...

Hank convinces Jesse to wear a wire and meet Walt. Hank follows Jesse solo. Lydia and/or Todd's crew shows up. Shit gets cray.

...I could also have done without

Starbucks magical angel disappearance

Word. That was really the only truly disappointing aspect of the BSG series finale for me.

yeah, that's the one, the single copout moment that kinda ruins the BSG finale for me, more than anything

on BB:

i was telling panch how much i dig the shoutout happening out of sight, and lydia (?) being walked through it without having to see it...the show amps up the on-screen action when it wants to in careful, controlled bouts (like gus' exit), but the analogy for me is that even as he gets darker/more destructive, Walt is made to witness very little of the ripples of destruction his actions cause - i mean, here, he thinks he's out of the game & is totally unaware of this happening because of his current situation, just like say the earlier incident with the two psycho brothers that waited for him in the shower & went off to feed on Hank without him even knowing how close he came.

i thought lydia's scene kinda channeled some of that: lives (however shitty) are being horrifically ended/destroyed, but you the audience need not dwell on that; let's just transition to the next thing

on BB:

i was telling panch how much i dig the shoutout happening out of sight, and lydia (?) being walked through it without having to see it...the show amps up the on-screen action when it wants to in careful, controlled bouts (like gus' exit), but the analogy for me is that even as he gets darker/more destructive, Walt is made to witness very little of the ripples of destruction his actions cause - i mean, here, he thinks he's out of the game & is totally unaware of this happening because of his current situation, just like say the earlier incident with the two psycho brothers that waited for him in the shower & went off to feed on Hank without him even knowing how close he came.

i thought lydia's scene kinda channeled some of that: lives (however shitty) are being horrifically ended/destroyed, but you the audience need not dwell on that; let's just transition to the next thing

I thought Lydia's refusal to see the bodies was a comment or the nature of corporate ruthlessness, where Lydia is doing the same thing as any other high level corporate executive, doing what has to be done for the bottom line, destroying and taking lives, but willfully refusing to look at the collateral damage of her actions. But you're right, Walt has been equally oblivious to many of the consequences of his actions, it's just not due to him covering his eyes, literally or figuratively.

I really have to agree with what jax was saying here about lydia.  She is all about making the money, but wont expose herself to the violence.  like it's beneth her or a necessary evil to make that money.  There were so many shots that emphasize her blue designer high heals.  Her walking through the sand, climbing down the ladder and then around all the bodies.  She's survived by appealing to the greed of others by selling more or better product and being OCD careful. The whole scene out in the junkyard was for lydia's character development and i think that was quite neat how they did it.

Im not sure I would attribute the death of the hispanic gang to walt. You could say they would have had conflict anyway since they were both trying to make money by selling meth.

Edited by spiffytee

what? if walt had stayed teaching/done something else, they woudln'tve been in on that operation at all...that's my point.

people (rightfully) talk about walt's descent across the season, you hear how he was such a good guy in season 1...like he wasn't creating life-destroying drugs and already leaving bodies in his wake by a handful of episodes in. that's one of the fun psychological things shows like this & the shield do; they get you to empathize with a likable character's situation/motives and not really focus on the damage they're creating...until a later season ends an ep with a dead kid on a bike to bring the point home