Hondo's Bar

The Tonight Show

i figure some of you guys gotta be into this. was never big on Letterman nor Leno, but Conan's awesome. then again, im under 40.

so yeah, i hear Leno's getting his slot back, does this leave Conan with a huge severance pay and room to write Simpsons episodes, or wha? ive seen Leno's take (nice shot on Letterman there), but i heard Conan's was awesome.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know, jax was just telling me about this yesterday. update!

Jay Leno is heading back to his 11:35 time slot, Access Hollywood confirms. And not only will he be leaving his current 10 p.m. time slot, but he will also be cutting the show's running time in half -- from one hour to 30 minutes.

Yet, the switch still leaves a lot of unanswered questions about the new NBC lineup. Does this mean Leno will now have time only for an opening monologue and no guests? And what about Conan O'Brien, who's currently airing at 11:35?

One report by TMZ.com states that Conan has been given an ultimatum by NBC executives: Move to the midnight to 1 a.m. time slot, or leave the network. The site reports that Conan has not decided what he wants to do, but that he and his people are considering the offer.

dammit conan, take the money and run. Go FX, Fox, HBO, wherever.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...-leno/?src=tptw

Conan's Statement

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Edited by MetalHeart

I hope they give the Tonight Show back to Jay Leno. Seriously I just can't stand Conan. Say what you will, but I just think the man's just NOT FUNNY AT ALL!

And NBC knows it, otherwise they would've had no qualms about letting Jay Leno loose to go to some other network, but they knew if he did that, he would kick Conan's ass on the ratings big time, so they instead keep him on a leash and give him his own show.

I hope they give the Tonight Show back to Jay Leno. Seriously I just can't stand Conan. Say what you will, but I just think the man's just NOT FUNNY AT ALL!

And NBC knows it, otherwise they would've had no qualms about letting Jay Leno loose to go to some other network, but they knew if he did that, he would kick Conan's ass on the ratings big time, so they instead keep him on a leash and give him his own show.

:loopy:

Hey guys, I think Acalis is secretly Bizarro. He obviously lives in a world that's backwards from the one we're currently in.

I'm sorry, I can accept the opinion that Conan Obrien isn't funny. I understand that he's not for everyone but given that you're not over 50 and you think Jay Leno is the picture of hilarity, then you hurt me deep deep inside.

Your opinions aside, no one at NBC is making decisions based on what or who they personally think is funny. They will not even make their decisions based on what they think other people think is funny. If their research shows everyone hates Chris Tucker, but would still tune in to watch a show he hosted, they would put Chris Tucker at 11:35.

The fact is Leno is muh more popular with older audiences and than Conan, and Conan has not produced the same numbers Leno did at the same time. They were actually making decent numbers at 10pm with Leno. The viewership was way down compared to their scripted shows last year, but their costs were way down too, and the profitability was higher. Why are scripted show coming back to 10pm then? Because while NBC doesn't care about lower viewership if profits are higher for them, local affiliates do. Local affiliates make most of their money of the 11pm local news, and lower viewership at 10pm meant a lower lead-in audience.

Conan is right that he was expected to rake in way more viewers than was reasonable given only 7 months and an awful prime-time lineup (I personally like NBC's primetime line up, but I'm talking numbers here). He's also got the right perspective that his fans should feel sorry for him. Angry at NBC? Maybe. But not sorry for him.

Jax:

Actually the "Prime time" lead in Conan referred to was JAY. It doesn't matter how good or how popular Law and Order or 30 Rock are, because those shows are all followed by Leno at 10. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. And the audience drops away and stays low through the local news and into Conan's show by chain reaction.

------------------------------

Here's an article I noticed that got me thinking about the BUSINESS side of this in terms of NBC's future:

How Could NBC Have Missed the Leno v. Conan Feud on Facebook?

By Bernhard Warner

Posted Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 10:56am

Twentysomethings couldn't care less about network television, particularly late-night television. That more or less sums up the "terrible difficulties" NBC executives face these days as they decide the fate of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. Right?

Well, nobody told the so-called "younger demographic." NBC's clumsy approach to halting the ratings slide of its late-night lineup by bumping The Tonight Show into tomorrow morning has created the biggest popular revolt of a television programming decision in recent memory. Naturally, it's playing out on the Net.

Shortly after news leaked of the O'Brien bump, Facebook user Jonathan Harris created the "Team Conan" page in protest. "Team Conan believes that this is balderdash and that NBC should favor Conan O'Brien, unequivocally a better comic and host than Leno," the group details in its relatively tame mission statement. Team Conan now has over 52,300 conscripts. "I'm with Coco" is even larger. Its 81,754 members declare they will watch O'Brien at any hour on any channel. "The I’m With COCO campaign could soon become a viral sensation," Nick O'Neil at AllFacebook.com predicts, calling it one of the fastest-growing Facebook movements of the year. What's bigger? Only the Facebook bra-color campaign.

EarthShare

Elsewhere online, smaller protest groups have popped up to show their support for O'Brien. They include "Keep Conan O'Brien" and "Conan O'Brien > Jay Leno"; there are even groups that profess their love for his carrot-mop 'do. There's really no place for NBC to hide. Even the official Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien page has been overwhelmed by supporters who do not mince words. "Keep CONAN!!!! Leno has been telling the SAME tiring lines for a decade now. NBC finally got the right man to reach the prime age demographic, and they pull him after nearly 8 months??? I'm with COCO!!!! NBC all you will have left is The Office!" one Facebook fan agitates.

And what about the support for Leno? He's considerably less popular. And there is a distinctly more hostile tone to how Leno is regarded by the online community. Amid the Leno groups that are gaining ground are demand Leno be "fired", "boycotted" and that he "f--- off."

The Twitterverse, too, is mobilizing, calling on users to "Boycott Leno!"

This hostile response should hardly be surprising to NBC executives. Long before this latest programming flap, the Leno v. O'Brien rivalry has been playing out daily online. And Conan has been winning. By a massive margin. There are over 1,000 we-love-Conan Facebook fan pages and groups boasting well over 200,000 supporters. By our count, Leno has half as many supporters. That probably would surprise no one reading this column. O'Brien is more beloved by the Facebook demographic. How NBC execs missed this obvious point is tough to fathom. This is the most coveted demographic of all, in any prime-time or late-night slot. As the Wall Street Journal reports, The Tonight Show's audience surged last night, "especially among younger people." And this morning? The anti-Leno rhetoric and pro-Conan support online is surging too.

http://www.thebigmoney.com/blogs/c-tweet/2...n-feud-facebook

Basic message seems to be: "Conan's fans are the money bringers. Choose Conan. Especially since Leno's fan base is getting older." Seems simple. I'm not sure if it's that easy, but it's something to think about.

My thought on this: There's a story that the affiliates pressured NBC to chose Jay over Leno in the 90s because Jay had visited most of them in person over the previous years and they felt comfortable with him.

The affiliates are the ones bringing down the 10pm Leno show now.

I suspect the future of the Tonight Show rests with the Affiliates too. Anyone know what kinda things they've been saying about this? What would they prefer?

Hey guys, I think Acalis is secretly Bizarro. He obviously lives in a world that's backwards from the one we're currently in.

I'm sorry, I can accept the opinion that Conan Obrien isn't funny. I understand that he's not for everyone but given that you're not over 50 and you think Jay Leno is the picture of hilarity, then you hurt me deep deep inside.

Can't help it, I try and try to get into Conan, but he just doesn't do it for me. His style of humor just doesn't rub me the right way and even when he does spout out a joke or line I think IS funny, he drags it out to the point that it just isn't amusing anymore. If he's more your cup of tea, then more power to you, but he's just not for me, sorry.

Bad news for Conan fans, looks like Conan won't be hosting the Tonight Show any longer. Check out the article below:

Conan O'Brien Likely to End Hosting Tonight Show on Jan 22nd.

Can't help it, I try and try to get into Conan, but he just doesn't do it for me. His style of humor just doesn't rub me the right way and even when he does spout out a joke or line I think IS funny, he drags it out to the point that it just isn't amusing anymore. If he's more your cup of tea, then more power to you, but he's just not for me, sorry

See, and that's fair, my problem with your statements is that you're presenting Jay Leno as the HI-larious alternative which is not unlike pointing to Cannibal Holocaust as the thing to cheer you up after watching Schindler's List. Jay Leno invented dragging jokes on too long, I think. Now if you presented, say, Craig Ferguson I could at least see from your point of view. But dropping kettle in favor of pot is what I find ridiculous.

Fuck. Jay. Leno. I hope he dies of Gonorrhea.

Used to perfer Jay to Letterman, but the way this whole situation has been handled by NBC and Leno is just beyond the pale. Leno's manged to handle this whole situation without even the slightest semblance of class, like some petulant little child. It was the prime time abortion called the Jay Leno Show that lead to this clusterfuck. THAT was the ratings blackhole that was killing every show around it. I hope the ratings for the tonight show drop into the toilet post-Conan. I know I'll never tune in after this.