Hondo's Bar

The Tonight Show

It really annoys me how a lot of people are blaming the whole Tonight Show fiasco on Jay Leno. If anyone is to blame, it's the NBC execs. Had they not rocked the late night boat to begin with, things would've been honky-dory, but noooo! Apparantly none of them have heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Look at how the late night format was BEFORE the change. Both Jay and Conan were at the tops of their games. Jay was killing with the Tonight Show crowd, and Conan was killing the Late Night crowd.

But somewhere down the line, NBC had some foolish paranoiac fear that Conan was going to jump ship to another network as soon as his contract with NBC expired. So what did they do you ask? Offer him the Tonight Show in the hopes it would convince him to stay with NBC. Jay did nothing wrong here, in fact, I think he was the one who got the sour treatment with this. NBC of course knew that by promising Conan the tonight show, now they risked Jay wanting to jump ship to another network, and now they had to come up with an idea and quick to not lose him. So they decided to try a little experiment. All their new shows were just not biting with audiences, so they decided to devote the 10pm slot 5 days a week to a Tonight Show-like show just for Jay. They thought it would help fix things and keep all parties happy, but nope, far from it. Network affiliates were complaining that they were losing viewers for their 11 o'clock news programs, not to mention Conan was just not bringing in the numbers NBC had hoped for in ratings compared to Conan's new competitor, David Letterman. Now NBC is upset that their programming change didn't have the results they had hoped for, so now they gotta do some damage control. Their quick fix-it plan? Move Jay back to 11:35, but cut his show's length by a half-hour, and move Conan's Tonight Show to 12:05. Jay was fine with the idea, but Conan basically said "Hell no! Tonight Show has always been at 11:35, so why should I push my show back 30 minutes?" which I feel he had every right to do so. Everyone knew that NBC originally wanted to just restore things as they were, but Conan was smart, he negotiated in his contract that if he was booted or forced to leave the Tonight Show, he'd get 40-something million dollars, so they knew they couldn't just change everything back. Conan got pissed off with the way he was treated, and so he did what he felt was the only thing he could do, and that was quit the Tonight Show, take his promised money, and now try to make a new start on another network or elsewhere. NBC really dropped the ball here, so everyone should be pissed at them, and not at Jay Leno. It just really grinds my gears that all the Conan fans just want to make Jay the sacirficial lamb in the middle of all this when clearly he didn't do anything wrong. That's just my opinion on this whole thing.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really annoys me how a lot of people are blaming the whole Tonight Show fiasco on Jay Leno. If anyone is to blame, it's the NBC execs. Had they not rocked the late night boat to begin with, things would've been honky-dory, but noooo! Apparantly none of them have heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Look at how the late night format was BEFORE the change. Both Jay and Conan were at the tops of their games. Jay was killing with the Tonight Show crowd, and Conan was killing the Late Night crowd.

It really annoys me how people are blaming the two of them not being at the top of their games on the change. As Jay said, "I'm not Johnny Carson" and that couldn't be more true. Jay had the chance to step down and if he'd have done so gracefully rather than taking the Brett Favre route and retiring like a bitch. Jay saw that the mountain had piqued and he would soon be on his way down but for some reason he stuck with it. Conan had 7 months, 7 MONTHS to do what he did which is asking a lot of ANY host, particularly one following the replacement for Johnny Carson so I don't think his ratings are to blame for him not being at the top of his game or his fan base.

And if Jay Leno is the comedy dynamo you claim him to be then he could have gotten the ratings he deserved at a different time. All Letterman's fans managed to follow him when he left Late Night and Conan stepped up and took the reigns pretty well there. This was inevitable and keeping it the way it was would have changed nothing. So in this case I do believe it's okay to hate the player and not the game.

In regards to Acalis's last post: what Logan & Baytor said is spot on.

I will add that Leno is an evil genius. He's made it quite clear the Tonight Show is his fucking life. The man never had a guest host in 17 years (which is exactly how Jay got his break in showbiz--guest hosting the Tonight Show). Letterman routinely beat him for his first 4-5 years as host of the Tonight Show. By moving to 10PM, Leno just took "his" Tonight Show an hour early thus stealing all the thunder of a new Tonight Show host b/c he essentially just took the Tonight Show and put it an hour earlier. If he failed then Coco was also sure to fail b/c of the shitty lead-in Leno gave him. I love Coco, but he wasn't tearing up the ratings either--CBS' Craig Ferguson was often tying or beating Coco the last few years in the ratings. I will say Acalis is right about the NBC execs being the ones to blame. They never should've taken Leno off--he did bring in the highest ratings and he did not want to retire the Tonight Show. Personally I would've liked to see Coco stay on air and think Leno's a soulless automaton , but apparently that's how Acalis and most of the country likes their comedy. Business is bidness.

FYI, whoever changed my personal tag can go fuck themselves!!!

It's shit like this is why I been away from Hondo's for so long...

:2T::anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger:

Unbunch your man panties out of that cavernous thing you call your arse and get on with it. If something this trivial bothers you, you're a gigantic sopping bleeding fervent vagina.

And learn to paragraph you cunt.

Edited by the division of joy

one analysis

He also compares his old 11:35 numbers to Conan’s 11:35 numbers, which would be acceptable except that, again, he is measuring the total audience figures for “The Tonight Show,” which went from 5 million under Leno to 2.5 million under O’Brien. NBC has not used total audience figures in any meaningful way since the 1990s, when it began pushing aggressively for advertisers to rely on the 18-to-49 demographic. So this is a bogus comparison in several ways.

The correct way to measure is 18-49, comparable time period, year to year. And as I wrote last week:

Conan’s “Tonight Show” rating among adults ages 18-49, a key group for advertisers, has declined by the same amount, 30 percent, as NBC’s rating at 9 p.m. (10 Eastern), when “The Jay Leno Show” airs.

In other words, Conan was being hurt by his low-rated, non-traditional lead-in ... the star of which was then asked to take Conan’s place at 11:35. And people wonder why he's pissed.

I have had multiple conversations with people in the know the past year about how this transition would play out. Without getting into specifics, because these were background interviews, there was broad consensus on these three points:

* Late-night is a long-term investment, so patience will be exercised with Conan.

* It’s expected that he will lose the total-viewers race to Letterman, but as long as he doesn’t lose the demo, he’s golden.

* Even if he loses the demo at first, in the long term he’s in a much better position than Letterman or Leno would be, since he appeals to a younger viewer.

You will not find anyone in the industry who would argue with the soundness of these points. And NBC just betrayed all of them.

I want everyone to keep that breathtaking statement in mind when Leno’s 18-49 demographic slides down to 1.0, as it inevitably must do. Jay’s audience isn’t getting any younger, and with each passing year another few hundred thousand turn 50. He may even hit 1.0 by the end of his current four-year deal with NBC.

And when it does, let’s see where Conan’s 18-49 rating is. ...

When Leno says that Conan’s “Tonight Show” lost money, there is no way he is being truthful. I’ll stop short of calling him a liar, because what he’s doing is passing along NBC’s lie. Which we will now dissect.

First, By all internal accounts, Conan’s ratings in the demo were right where NBC expected them to be. In his last season doing “Late Night,” his 18-49 demographic rating was 0.8. That was good for first place at 12:35. In order to tie David Letterman in the demo, he needed a 25 percent boost. And he got it, despite having a lead-in that was 30 percent worse in the demo than Leno had enjoyed a year before. That millstone of a lead-in, again, was “The Jay Leno Show.”

anyway, some classic clips came up on the board i found this on, had to share:

classic andy.

coco + jay, in the day:

ps *cough* :2T:

* Even if he loses the demo at first, in the long term he’s in a much better position than Letterman or Leno would be, since he appeals to a younger viewer.

i was telling my mom this exact thing when all the hoopla was going on. our gen and younger just doesn't like leno/letterman for the most part and their audience is aging...conan's could only grow. i have a feeling this backlash can only magnify this. i think oprah said she polled her audience prior to interviewing leno and something like 98% of them had an unfavorable opinion of leno. it's not very scientific but still, that doesn't bode well for when he goes back to the tonight show. remember though, it was the affiliates who were pressuring nbc. i think nbc would have given conan more time had it not been for the affiliates. so boycott the news!!!

It helps when they have nothing worth watching .

The Office

Parks & Recreation

Community

And the occasional episode of The Biggest Loser. I'm pretty meh on all the Law&Order shows. But yeah, that's about all they got going in Prime Time. Southland was an excellent cop drama, but they fucked that one up by canceling it for Leno's prime-time fail.

The Office

Parks & Recreation

Community

And the occasional episode of The Biggest Loser. I'm pretty meh on all the Law&Order shows. But yeah, that's about all they got going in Prime Time. Southland was an excellent cop drama, but they fucked that one up by canceling it for Leno's prime-time fail.

Thats NBC?

Goddammit!

I'm actually one of the people who's glad when SNL has a couple flops per episode, IF they're the kinda flops that come from them experimenting.

Right now I'm watching the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George are pitching a show to NBC.

Ah the good old days.

Edited by Jumbie