Hondo's Bar

The Avengers

fapfapfap

Fuck the Olympics. This will be the event of 2012. I can't think of a phenomenon with such ridiculous amounts of nerd fap-osity in recent memory. Perhaps the Star Wars prequels before the awful reality sunk in? Lord of the Rings maybe but that's slightly more old school nerd.

Anyway I was dubious about Evans as Cap but after the concept art I'm cautiously optimistic. Given he's already the Human Torch I kind of want to call shenanigans on him being Cap too but I guess if it works, it works. Personally I would have preferred some unknown beefcake though.

Evans' stock has risen for me since watching the Losers, not sure if he's right for Cap though. Probably right for Whedon's Cap. Like I said to Dr Steve, Whedon's not proven himself on this scale/setting so I'm cutting the middleman and moving straight to bitter disappointment.

Gah don't mention The Losers. I was so psyched about it then one day I say to someone "When's that losers thing coming out?" to which they reply "Um I saw that about 2 months ago, it's not in cinemas anymore." When the FUCK did that happen?? I saw nothing of this movie advertised anywhere! Still will be nice to have a DVD release to look forward to that my cinephile ass hasn't already seen.

Anyways off-topic. I think they'll be so fearful of raising the sweaty ire of comic fans everywhere that they'll treat this with the utmost care. I have faith in Whedon, to a point anyway. He has a comic writing pedigree which gives him some street cred. Who is writing this btw?

great, now i wanna go watch The Losers.

crim - Evans can beef up, though. check out uh, Will Smith in Ali, or for something closer to home, Jackman's size from X1 to X2, or even Ryan Reynolds in Blade Trinity. I'm saying, it can be done.

JZA - you watched Serenity, yeah? dude can handle an ensemble cast. This isnt gonna be Avatar.

Panch - i saw that mock-up (im assuming?) at a recent convention, been looking for the image ever since! which reminds me, i gotta find this black & white, Saving Private Ryan kinda concept art they had right after that one for the Cap movie...holy shit, did that look good.

QAaGC.jpg

all i know about Mark Ruffalo so far is that he's not Norton. thoughts?

He was in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and alot of other good stuff, like Collateral and Zodiac.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Bless Whedon there. "I have had a dream my whole life, and it was not this good...I am going to blow it, I'm not up to it."

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how you missed The Losers, Crim. Definitely check it out on DVD. It's a solid B-action film and Evans proves his chops.

More geekgasmic video fromComicon

(fuck those fuckers who were there this year--they got GL and Avengers. arrrgh!!! anger bonerzzz!

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="434" height="374" id="gorillaPlayer_ro002"><param name="swliveconnect" value="true"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf"><param'>http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf"><param name="flashvars" value="e=4bffc0037b3a3a49328d685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f0947d4e15d253124c7d296b9a2a5d695fdd446d15f64f11765e48a3f69f68736fac2db0e07967dbf383ccf85d3b0fcebe03d34a7&width=434&height=374&pid=ro002&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true"><embed src="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="gorillaPlayer_ro002"width="434" height="374" allowscriptaccess="always" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="e=4bffc0037b3a3a49328d685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f0947d4e15d253124c7d296b9a2a5d695fdd446d15f64f11765e48a3f69f68736fac2db0e07967dbf383ccf85d3b0fcebe03d34a7&width=434&height=374&pid=ro002&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true&esnapshot=4bffc0037b3a3a493b90685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f094ccde2702233248cd3a6a8a3bcd188f7dd4b9d5964bb1172a6967b28a4d874aa9f9c481d8875a23b26ca8489efab&trueurl=http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/the-avengers-2010-comic-con-teaser"></embed></object>

Click here for the full Joss Whedon Panel at Comicon.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLF_8-VvaKc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLF_8-VvaKc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLF_8-VvaKc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

also, finally saw Zodiac, so at least i know who the new Banner is. dude seems good for the part.

also, finally saw Zodiac, so at least i know who the new Banner is. dude seems good for the part.

Like I said before, you'd already seen him in Eternal Sunshine

esosm_18.jpg

On the left.

Anyway, I was thinking about how the recasting of Banner makes no difference when he's the Hulk, then I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to use the tech James Cameron developed for Avatar to use the facial performances of actors on a CGI character.

img-article-embed---masters-avatar-saldana-cameron_221031504583.jpg

I mean, in Avatar I was really able to get immersed in the Navi characters and allow myself to forget they were CGI. Having Ruffalo give the performance so you could see bits of Banner in the Hulk, I think that would be pretty awesome. Thoughts?

Edited by Reverend Jax

yeah, 10 minutes of that guy (great movie thought it was) =/= almost 3 hours of him as a prominent one in Zodiac, though.

not the same idea - Hulk's face doesnt really need to look like Banner's. doesn't matter much in the comics, shows, movies thus far etc...its why they can just cast someone for Banner and not think on it too much, i imagine.

great, now i wanna go watch The Losers.

crim - Evans can beef up, though. check out uh, Will Smith in Ali, or for something closer to home, Jackman's size from X1 to X2, or even Ryan Reynolds in Blade Trinity. I'm saying, it can be done.

JZA - you watched Serenity, yeah? dude can handle an ensemble cast. This isnt gonna be Avatar.

Panch - i saw that mock-up (im assuming?) at a recent convention, been looking for the image ever since! which reminds me, i gotta find this black & white, Saving Private Ryan kinda concept art they had right after that one for the Cap movie...holy shit, did that look good.

QAaGC.jpg

Yeah I saw Serenity, and it was exactly what Whedon does: Buffy in Space. Seriously, across Buffy, Astonishing Xmen, Dollhouse, Fray, Angel, Firefly etc he sets up his dollies and has them move & interact in the same arcs & steps as previously. Now being that The Avengers don't have a high quota (thusfar) of angsty generally female identity issue stories and generally replace that with punching Fin Fang Foom in the face, I just don't know what Whedon's going to do with this movie that isn't mindless asplosions.

Not hating at all. Love his work, it's just all the same. Rereading Astonishing Xmen right now infact, and while yes, Dawn Kitty Pryde is well written and Angel Emma makes a compelling leader, I can't help but feel I've seen this whole thing played out somewhere previously. Hey, at least Walshe Beast is there for comedy relief...

It couldn't possibly be the ressurection of Buffy Collosus.

With more thought & time I can work in other interchangeable Whedon stories to better prove my point.

Edited by The JZA

Who's Walshe?

not the same idea - Hulk's face doesnt really need to look like Banner's. doesn't matter much in the comics, shows, movies thus far etc...its why they can just cast someone for Banner and not think on it too much, i imagine.

It's not about making Hulk look like Banner (though having Hulk look vaguely like him, they way the Navi looked vaguely like the actors that play them, would add to Hulk, in my opinion), it's about having Ruffalo give the facial acting performance for Hulk. That can have him look completely differently but still use that tech to have him give the performance they use to render the CGI.

I have never seen anything good by him before, I've seen Buffy and Angel and they were at best average.

That said though, I still think he he'll do The Avengers justice, because the biggest problem I have with him is his writing, he's not a bad director. Also because Marvel are so involved in the project I feel they'll steer him in the right direction.

Jax - ok, yeah, they could...but if you were budding Marvel studios with prolly the biggest franchise in your stable here, "James Cameron CGI-effects" might sound right outside your budget, depending on how many Avenger TM lunchboxes and party hats you estimate selling.

ASC - stop saying things and go watch Firefly, then Serenity.

• 8 months later...

After seeing the post-credit teaser at the end of Thor I'm deadset excited about this. I'm sure more details about the plot will emerge but, as stated all over the Thor thread, the set up & first story is going to be a lot truer to the origin than we had any right expecting(with some Brubaker chicanery thrown in for good measure).