Hondo's Bar

Iron Man 3

Let me be clear regarding post credit(if you guys are reading spoilers):

the post-credit is a couch gag with Bruce Banner. That's the perfect sumation of the entire movie. Great, but not what we've come to expect as a summer blockbuster. Having said that there were some geekout moments, like

Ultimate Armour complete with saucy Jarvis

made me happy. The Narrative moments are identical to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and it's a weird mix.

<p>As long as it was good. I wonder if they are going to do the whole 2 different post credits for different countries or regions. I think wolverine was the only one to do that though.

There is a different cut of the actual movie playing in China that features an appearance by popular Chinese actress Fan Bingbing, so a different post-credit is not a big stretch.

Also, with 50 reviews posted, Iron Man 3 is at 92% on Rotten tomatoes, which is on par with the first installment's 93%, and far better than the second installment's 73%.

Also, does anyone else feel this thread should just be renamed 'Iron Man 3'? The headline of Shane Black directing was just the opening post, the thread has moved on since then.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back and it was a blast. One of the best trilogies out there (yes, I liked part 2 quite alot actually).

was initially bummed with the direction they took with the Mandarin. Thought they were going to pull a Dark Knight Rises, but it paid off alot better than that.

post credits was

lazy like JZA said. Though I do hold out hope that it hints toward a solo Ruffalo-Hulk movie eventually

All in all thumbs up and a nice way to end the trilogy. Hopefully they can get RDJ on another contract and start another batch.

Also I know I shouldn't worry about this, and am sure I'm not the first one to ask but

Where the fuck were the Avengers? seriously, guy threatens the president and Tony doesn't at least get a call from Cap or Fury asking "hey you got this right?" or "dude you still alive?"

Re your last spoiler Axel

I suppose they set Tony up as the bad arse of the group much like Wolverine is to the Xmen. He'll go off and do his own thing but no matter how hairy it gets they stay out unless he calls them.

I think the best thing about this movie is(and correct me if I'm wrong) it really paves the way for a new kind of superhero movie or expanding the genre at least.

seriously, i half-expected the post credits to be tony bitching about that to Fury, who'd remind him "do we can up all your messes? call us when shit's serious." even the whole notion of the JLA showing up when your alarm goes off is a recent thing, i don't think most teams even thought of that shit early on.

Mandarin twist was alright (gun & bish were more upset, oddly), i was cool with Guy Pierce but looking back something felt...off. like it was a good movie but i dunno...kertz thinks its cause she felt tony wasn't tony/too panicky but i was okay with that, and the finale was better than the blink-and-you-miss-it one of 2, so i still dont know what it was.

It was definitely a different kind of Iron Man movie. It should have been called Stark instead or something. I really enjoyed the small town action scenes. Shane Black could make a great Punisher movie I think.

also, War Machine > Iron Patriot

Edited by axel_napalm

Possibly what you guys are talking about

The thing that felt off was the twist & resulting fact that the villian wasn't otherworldly or actually powered. This was invoking the Marvel name without putting up bright colours and superpowered fights. I've been thinking for a while that there's a missed opportunity in cross-marketing your average summer flicks about nothing and romcoms, and maybe having it transpire that the protagonist is Alicia Masters or Glory Grant or Jennifer Walters.

so you're saying, save the big monsters/mystical stuff for the bigger budget flicks? i mean like the idea of a more grounded marvel that can make a good Punisher (and Alias!) flick, but that might be the approach they're taking with the solos here vs a big Avenger flick, no?

so you're saying, save the big monsters/mystical stuff for the bigger budget flicks? i mean like the idea of a more grounded marvel that can make a good Punisher (and Alias!) flick, but that might be the approach they're taking with the solos here vs a big Avenger flick, no?

Wright's said as well that Ant Man is going to be a different genre of movie to the established Marvel mythos. This should really(and I'm comfortable not spoiling this but go ahead and edit if others feel appropriate) carry the same tagline. Maybe that's what Phase 2 is going to be about: Redefining the Superhero movie genre the way it has in a lot of cases with the books.

And don't forget that some solo flicks like the other big Avengers are going to still be more spectacular.

Just saw it tonight and liked, not loved it. Glad I skipped the IMAX 3D, too.

* Lots of humor, which I dug. The kid sequences could've easily come across as trite, but they worked for me. Kid gave a great performance, too.

* Gwenyth Paltrow in a sports bra was nice. (Tony may be Iron Man, but Pepper has abs of steel.)

* Ending battle sequence felt a bit Transformers meets X-Men, and not in a good way.

* Agree with most that the post-credit sequence was a fizzle. It served the narrative well, but I felt like it would've worked better had it been put in like Thanos' bit in Avengers.

This movie felt from start to finish like it was made to stand on its own, and be the end of the Iron Man franchise. Yes he will come back in Avengers but it did feel like they needed to have some kind of closure on Tony in the Iron Man films which makes sense given that they don't know if they can throw enough money at Robert to keep him signed on.

they don't know if they can throw enough money at Robert to keep him signed on.

The movie had the second largest ever US opening weekend, behind only The Avengers, with just over $175M. After 3 days in the US and 10 days in most other countries, the movie is already at $678,944,585. They have enough money. They can always just offer him more money on the back-end to cover their butts if ever the public does not want to shell out bucketloads of cash to see RDJ play Tony Stark.

Lots of fun! Does Shane Black actually like christmas this much or was somebody like "Hey, Lethal Weapon boy, set this shit during christmas. Jump, monkey!" I mean, it's getting kind of silly.

I was perfectly happy with this one. He gets plenty of time outside of the suit to be awesome, and the action sequences are really good (air force one rescue sequence) to perfectly fine (ridiculous explosion filled, kinda clumsy but way better than the end of Iron man 1 ending). I love his scenes with the kid and the whole section of him in the middle of nowhere.

Their portrayal of the Mandarin was fucking great. Not only was it a fantastic and funny twist, but it's really the only way they could do that character or any kind of "terrorist" style thing without being awful and offensive as hell. This was an excellent of example of bringing really stupid comic book shit to a place where it's "grounded in reality" but while keeping it very fun, and not going the morbidly serious route. Kingsley did such a good job. The scene where he's found out is one of my favorites.

After watching this I'm surprisingly absent of any kind of "superhero movie fatigue" that people write about. I could watch plenty of great looking, well acted, fun movies like these. With the Marvel movies, it's getting to be like an awesome, incredibly high production value TV series with different writers and directors but the same basic look and feel that give a satisfying sense of continuity and a reliable stream of awesome. Please conglomerate, make more product!

Edited by JunkerSeed

Yeah, I mean, between The Avengers' $1.5B and Iron Man 3's $984M haul so far, RDJ is a position to negotiate with Marvel, and having made 250 times as much as his Avengers co-stars, using that position to negotiate for keeping the band together...I think he's actually saving Marvel from themselves, because replacing Norton was one thing, but I think Marvel was probably the right combination of cheap and stupid to actually replace Hemsworth and Evans and anyone else that wasn't willing to stay on at comically low pay (all things being relative, of course).

Edited by Reverend Jax