Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

it had a weak final arc but so did Max, but maybe I would have enjoyed Valley Forge, Valley Forge better if I didn't like it better the first time in Hitman when it was called Who Dares Wins.

...i calls bullshit!

who dares wins: as i recall, tommy kills the wrong guy, gets mixed up fighting the SAS and is clearly outgunned.

Valley Forge, Valley Forge: after exhausting the local resources, the same generals Fury belt-whipped call in the army, who send in a speical-ops unit to take Frank down. the similarities end there, as half the arc is spent trying to bring him in alive, the later half being about Frank's tape/evidence against them and the Morgan Freeman-like captain's relationship to Castle's explained, as well as what follows.

theyre both good arcs, theyre both involving very different special ops units. that's where it ends, you crazy hitman-fanboy!

• 2 weeks later...

MY electricity was out yesterday, so I did what any rational person would do (after furiously masturbating): I went to the comic book store. Grabbed Kick-Ass #5, Gaiman's Batman and the first Y:The Last Man TPB.

I liked half of Batman quite a bit, the Selena Kyle story was very ho-hum to me. It's not that it was bad, I just wasn't particularly interested in it. The Alfred story completely redeemed the book, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I love when Gaiman does shit like this, makes ridiculous stuff somehow plausible. In the real world (not the DCU), it works wonderfully. A man essentially humors the madness of his (basically) adopted son in order to soothe his pain. I loved it.

Kick-Ass gets better with every issue.

I've been meaning to read more Vaughan for a while now, Y is quite cool so far. I was THIS (my thumb and pointer finger are very near to each other) close to grabbing Ex Machina.

Quite a haul from the dear ol' Dad today. Should keep me set with reading material for a while.

Cerebus Vol 14: From & Void

My True Story by Spain

The Job Thing: Stories About Shitty Jobs by Carol Tyler (I've never heard of this one, looks entertaining)

Sleepwalk and other stories by Adrian Tomine (After Optic Nerve Tomine has a special place in my heart)

The Best of The Spirit

Howard the Duck MAX series (I'm dubious, but R.I.P. Steve Gerber. I feel like I need to read his swan song)

Sloth by Gilbert Hernandez (I, unpopularly, always preferred Gilbert over Jaime when choosing from a Los Bros Hernandez (the less said of Mario the better))

Are We Having Fun Yet?: Zippy the Pinhead's 29 Day Guide To Random Activities and Arbitrary Donuts

Introducing Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz and Robert Crumb

And finally, the cherry on top. A dog eared and brittle copy of TMNT #1 with a little note saying

"Your grandmother found this recently. She's pretty sure it belongs to you."

I've been wondering what happened to that book for 20 goddamn years! I even accused a kid of stealing it from me (I regret nothing, I know for a FACT that sneaky little cunt stole some of my Battle Beasts). The staples have worn through the cover, detaching it. I'm afraid it might crumble in my hands, so I don't dare read it, but all the same it's good to have it back.

I haven't read any of this stuff yet. Reviews will be forthcoming. Whether you like it or not. :crush:

Edited by Thelogan Prime

stick with Y, some of Vertigo's best in years. and i suspect Ex Machina wont let you down either, man.

Yes, great comic. I wasn't ecstatic over the ending arc, but it was well worth the ride.

And a bit of FYI for 'Y' fans: Y's writer also writes for the show LOST & Hurley was reading a Y: The Lat Man TPB before he boarded the plane in last week's episode of LOST. :blink:

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 months later...

Hajukin- I wanna talk more about Y in the relevant thread! Right now though, I picked up & reread the Ultimate Collection of Ultime Xmen(a softcover 1-12), including the original script Bendis submitted for his take on Ultimate Xmen. That alone made me appreciate Millar's take so much more. Find it online & have a read. It's not bad, it's just very bendis(and we really didn't need more Bendis at that point). Also manning the fuck up and tackling Earth X.

• 2 weeks later...

Earth X is such a fucking chore. At this point I'm not even reading the stupid fucking epilogues at the end of each issue. There's only so much 'but I'm a robot and I have feelings. When will I get my face back?' I can fucking take. Happily though, I've found torrents for The Boys #24-29 so I'll be catching up on that tonight, and now that Millar's done wanking of Scottish shire monsters he can get back to some hooded man drama as well as Old Man Logan sometime soon.

• 1 month later...

quick catchup of sorts:

Amazing Spider-Man - i know its hard to look past Brand New Day, but this book has been awesome lately. in the last few months, i swear, its actually managed to feel more like the fun book it did in the 90's. What's really cool is that with this batch of new & old cast (as well as villains), the book's not being derailed one bit by Dark Reign - they're actually working it in quite nicely, showing that this event might've been better-planned than some prior (though its worth noting ASM during Civil War was on fire). on that note:

Thor # 602 (?) - yeah, old renumbering. Its been said, but Thor's as good as its been since Jurgens wrote it with the "Dark Gods" shit years back. ive never been big on the Blake/Thor thing, but its played decently here,and watching Loki's master plan unfold also shows some real planning, not quite as long as Bru on Cap but again, the book's a great. whether its going for dark epic mythology or having some fun with the notion of asgardian gods in the realm of modern man, its enjoyable.

Invincible Iron Man - Its funny how Stark's by the wayside now in most books, but like Hulk and Moon Knight, he's showing some character while playing the fugitive. o really thought Pepper Pots in a suit - much less romantic interest - was a stretch, but i cant yet call shenanigans. Its also weird how the book tries to have you root for former commander Hill.

Ghost Rider (#36 or so?) - Baytor's got a great thread on this one already, ill say no more than it needs to be checked out. Like many, i put it down after the Ennis run, but its really going in some interesting places, given that i never really read much of this book except uh, when it crossed over with the X-Men or that Midnight Sons shit or whatever. speaking of...

Marvel Zombies vol 4 - Alright, im mostly reading cause its by Fred Van Lente, whom i adore from Action Philosophers. If a b-rated tale of b-class characters sounds like fun (i mean, did you enjoy volume 3?), no reason to stop now, but if thats not your thing, you're not missing much.

The Sword # 17 - I think the Luna brothers are gonna tie this one up in the next few issues, and unless it goes really wacky in its end, i can honestly say i liked this better than Ultra and Girls combined.

Hellboy: Wild Hunt - Its Mignola's Hellboy, so its awesome. but it takes too long to come out.

that said, ive been reading all the ongoing B.P.R.D. minis in the meantime, and i know this kinda shit's right up my alley but ive yet to come across a weak one. once theyre done putting Hellboy in those snazzy library hardcovers, i might very well go back for that series as well.

Back to Brooklyn - So, Ennis' bloody mob/family drama wrapped up, shocking twist and all. I think Crossed kept this one under a lot of people's radars, and overall it wasnt standout enough for me to argue with that.

Invincible - all 1 of you kirkman-haters should be on this. # 62 or whatever we're on was fucking well mean, and its safe to say the book's pace of character building, here's-a-new-villain, beat the piss out of him, more character, etc seems kinda gone, this last arc was a game-changer and im very curious to see where its gonna go from here, cause its hard to see it being anywhere positive.

This still stands as Image's best superhero book, my opinion.

Spawn: Endgame - boy, this series dragged its nuts halfway through, trying to introduce who might be the new cast/protagonist and such (and after the last arc before it with

Al's daugher?

it damn near didnt get read, but at issue # 192 or so, and the new guy seems mildly interesting, but seeing Violator, Sam & Twitch and such back around really makes it feel like its moving along in the right direction.

Moon Knight - so, picked this one up again around the point of the fallout of Civil War, and as has been said on its own thread, its a great book i shoudla stuck with. im glad we're moving past the last arc in mexico - it really felt like a throwaway MAX punisher one at parts, and the brotehrs were alright at first - i need to see this one going somewhere. I do love the character, and the current love/hate thing with Knoshu, but im hoping for direction in the next arc, even if its back down a bottle.

Ultimate Reqieum/Ultimatum/etc - this is still ongoing, and the core book is crazy-ass Loeb. I really have to wait till its over to see what to make of it, but yeah, people are dropping like flies and its hard to feel too attached when again, 1) marvel U proper (616) seems to have taken most of the more interesting things from the ultimate U already, and 2) the last books on ultimate x-men, ultimates etc really make it feel like no one past Bendis has any ideas what to do with this universe. we'll see.

Green Lantern # 42 or so? - its been said countless times, but yeah...im glad the Bat-books arent sucking at the moment, but GL is the best thing DC's had going for a while now, and that's not chnaged lately. What im looking to see is: will Blackest Night have most of its core shit go down with Johns at the helm, like we saw with Sinestro Wars? if so, i cant wait. if, being universe-wide, its piecemealed together by a string of lesser writers....eh.

Cable/X-Force: Messiah War - For a 90s X-Fan, this was a bit've fun, tossing Cable, Deadpool, Styfe, evil Bishop, Apocalypse and everyone into the mix. Tension was built, and i dont want to say it was anti-climactic, but the fallout

still has Cable running through time with Hope trying to dodge Bishop, so it feels like, you know, Cyk got Boomer killed and pull these guys in to almost die and not accomplish much

. I'm still reading both Cable and Stabforce so that's something.

Deapool # 9? - Ok, so he has his ongoing and like 2 mini-series going right now (Suicide Kings and Merc with a Mouth, i think?), and the plots overlap in my head cause theyre mostly ridiculous, but all 3 have been cool so far, there's a lot for Deadpool fans to be happy about right now. Marvel needs more comedy books anyway.

Walking Dead - i think i might be an issue behind right now, we're clearly halfway through the "The Dead dont Stalk" arc and moves are being made.

i for one really like how very damaged both Rick and his kid are, its the same kinda thing i love right now about Rescue Me - i dont think you walk away whole from that kind of trauma, and its interesting material.

so buying the deluxe HC 2 when i have it like that.

again, im reading like 30-40 titles a month right now, granted much of its marvel and ive forgotten or left a few off that're being discussed in other threads, but that's most of my current pull list.

...shit. i so had that one in my head right after Messiah War, too.

X-Factor # 40 something - Peter David continues to shut my smarmy mouth with this title. we're past the big, crazy shit

Peter David said not to say! its about babies.

, and like X-Force, Jamie's time-travelling with some interesting company while we see what the rest of the team and off-the-wagon Siryn are up to. so glad i listened to 2Track about this one, even with X-Men Legacy and most of the x-books going well right now, this one always stands out.

by the way, at the end there, was Monet a Phalanx or what was that?

since you're here, though: newt, what're you reading/thoughts?

X-factor: Peter David has been gold since day 1 with this book. Sure he hit a snag with the SI crossover but once THAT issue with the baby hit the store all bets were off. One of the few books that I look forward to read every month.

Nova: If somebody were to tell me Nova would be a must read title 3-4 years ago I would've smack'em. This book has been a rollercoster ride from day 1. Not only has Nova grown to be one of the big guns but he has become one of the most important characters in marvel.

So I'm reading Fables right now, currently on Volume 7. I hated the idea initially but the darkness of the story pulled me in pretty quickly (the story didn't really come into its own until Animal Farm but the first volume was good enough to keep my attention)

I have 3 gripes, though they're not enough to make me file the book under anything less than perfect (and keep in mind I had plenty to bitch about with both Preacher and Watchmen)

1. Bigby Wolf is fucking awesome but between making shit up as they go along and making him into some pseudo-Wolverine knockoff in book 3 has been a bit annoying. Still him and Boy Blue are fucking tearing shit up and I love it.

2. The big reveal of the villain was the typical Vertigo "WHAAAAT?" moment where the villain turns out to be the last person you expect and feels kinda pointless because of it. It also kind of reeked of Watchmen at that point.

3. Is it a pre-requisite since Ennis for every Vertigo book to try and fit in a story that deals with a platoon in World War 2/Vietnam. The addition of Frankenstein was a nice touch, but it seemed a bit pointless.

The reveal of villian in Fable was so obvious I assumed it was keyed that way. It reads

more like Usual Suspects than Watchmen, I figure. You know, the Villian manufacturing his own myth & prestige, hiding in plain sight?

Edited by The JZA

I was also rather unsurprised by the reveal in Fables. As for the Bigby/Wolverine thing, its kinda lazy, but I can't find myself disliking him for it. Bigby makes a better Wolverine than Wolverine does to me ('cept for the Patch stories. I liked those).

Yeah I did. But now, 1) torrenting my big company books is helping me save for the US(plus since I've supported those cunts for years they can afford to take the hit for the rest of the year) so I'd be a hyppocrit to stay on that soapbox(smaller publishers are a different story) and 2) I highly doubt after 2-3 printings, OML single issues can be had. Print off a transcript off the internets, put it in a blender with some milk & inject it if you have to. Just get this story into you in any fashion!