Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

So who's the new Carnage?

The Boys I think will be better when we're not having the wait a fucking month for another tiny little piece of storyline to tide us over until next week. I'm still digging the story and it's obviously building towards a huge climx (I'm predicting it here, everyone but Hughie dies) but it's not gaining a lot of ground in the mean-time. I also have no idea why this issue was just showing us a bunch of stuff that Butcher had already told us anyway.

we don't really know yet, its looking like its gonna be this new woman that was Shriek's psychologist...you might care more if you read it, but you might not. again so far no better or worse than some of the fun venom minis in the day, really has that feel to it so far plus the artist of ghost rider, craig something?

yeah, that might be it...i was really expecting some big secret in # 50 and i didnt get it.

• 1 month later...

Wrapped up X-men, Deadly Genesis, The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire and Messiah Complex this week. I was surprised how much i enjoyed them even with the silly Vulcan angle. (I may or may not have been drinking at the time).

Also read Deadpool Corps Prelude, which was pretty much amazing considering I thought I was going to hate it. I guess it's all in the writing.

Edited by Bindusara

• 3 weeks later...

Secret Avengers # 11 - still a solid book, missing Deodato though.

Captain America # 613.1 - this was a fun stand-alone issue, with Bru overtly hinting at what's to come. enjoyed it.

The Boys # 53 - this was good, but it's mostly because Ennis only interests me these days when he's doing War Story stuff, sadly.

Scarlet # 5 - TPB is so bought, glad this book's not done (first mini is though).

Neonomicon # 5 - part 2 of Moore's lovecraftian horror ties up, and it was readable as a standalone, but i gotta see where he it goes next.

Irredeemable # 24 - yeah, mal's right; book's lost steam, i might be dropping this one soon.

Fear Itself # 1 - well, i'm interested, but i think at least half of that is Immomen's fault. dont know about this new villain yet though.

when the fuck did Odin come back again? JMS had him long-dead in Hela's realm, did he just wander out when that collapsed?

Kick Ass vol 2 # 2 - my patience with Millar is waning; stuff like this is enjoyable but he's not a closer, so we'll see.

Daredevil Reborn # 3 - really only reading this cause of Matt, it's got forgettable written all over it.

Black Panther: Man without Fear 514 - a more enjoyable mashup than you'd think, digging this so far.

oh yeah, Punisher Max finally started up, so that's good too. i tried Green Lantern again for this next event but im not hooked, and new B.P.R.D./Sir Edward Gray stuff is lots of fun but besides me and baytor i dont think many here are interested.

• 1 month later...

Moon Knight # 1 - nice to see my boy back in action! now if only Iron Fist'd get a book again...

Maleev's pencils were a bit rougher than some of his other work, but he seems to've adapted a bit better to action scenes here & there, so that might be why. Added to my monthly pile of pulls, should've seen the ending coming from a mile away though...

As always I'm playing catch up buuut, finally reading Bru's DD run in completion and it's kicking a lot of arse. Otherwise I reread Ellis' run on X-man(which was awesome) and have been reading more Asterix comics. that shit counts, right?

Classic Xman less so. I mean, it felt more organic when Nate wasn't so blatantly the Mutant Spiderman with his woes of infinite power and boohooing about how fucking cush his life truly was, but Ellis' Spiralwalker run is still some of the finest i've seen him write. Restrained, but in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a marvel kid catching up on my DCU:

Batman: The return of Bruce Wayne, deluxe edition - This Storyline had no right to be as good as it was.

Batman: Time and the Batman - FUCK, I didn't think i'd like this but damn.

Batman & Robin: Batman & Robin must die - Still keeping the series strong.

Batman: The killing joke - I didn't think i'd like this at first, well played.

Ion the torchbearer and the dying flame: Kyle is MY Lantern. Seeing him with his mother almost brought me to tears.

GLC: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns - Decent but I think it's more of a setup for later events.

Might do Astro City tonight too.

Still a marvel kid catching up on my DCU:

Batman: The return of Bruce Wayne, deluxe edition - This Storyline had no right to be as good as it was.

Batman: Time and the Batman - FUCK, I didn't think i'd like this but damn.

Batman & Robin: Batman & Robin must die - Still keeping the series strong.

Batman: The killing joke - I didn't think i'd like this at first, well played...

* Agreed! Grant Morrison actually wrote a pretty damned fine yarn here. Not sure what the "deluxe edition" had it in though as I only read the single issue stuff.

* "Time & the Batman" - Fuck, I just googled this one. I didn't know it existed. Will read.

* I haven't caught up tot his arc in the book . . . yet.

* Damn! You just got to this? Really? Like, for reals? :howyoudoin: This was one of the first comics I bought. One of the best (the best?) Joker story's ever told. It's one of those books anyone claiming to call themselves a Batman fan has to own. It should be law.

* Damn! You just got to this? Really? Like, for reals? :howyoudoin: This was one of the first comics I bought. One of the best (the best?) Joker story's ever told. It's one of those books anyone claiming to call themselves a Batman fan has to own. It should be law.

Marvel kid. I knew of DCU but only a handful of things like the death of superman did i actually own. I only read Knightsbane in novel form.

• 3 weeks later...

That's what I needed. Because I'm told the book is inaccessible as hell, I just wanted to know where to go if the emo prose and improbable hair gets me down. Having said that, I've read some Dreaming before and it was actually quite enjoyable. Cain & Abel are quite the comedic pairing.

Yeah, Morpheus is a whiny twat and, as far as protagonists go, he's really unlikeable. It's folly to go in expecting the usual "I should care about this guy" type of book. Personally, I dig it because he's flawed. He makes more petty human mistakes and emotional decisions than anyone that isn't even human has any business doing. He does grow on ya, though.

Wait until Destruction is introduced, and then he can be the guy you like.

don't listen to the "inaccessible" shit, especially if you've read any of the dreaming. seriously, there's stuff in the early bits (no idea why baytor, ASC, think it was them? rate it as poorly as they do, its still better than 95% of vertigo's stuff, and it's sam fucking keith) that ties into the ending and such. skipping to season of mists just sets yourself up to put it down later when they're doing more boring things like character building or metaphysical elements of the plot.

You know what I just finished and actually quite enjoyed right up til the last panel? Ultimate X. It was an interesting premise and showed some promise until

Loeb wheeled out Scarlet Witch again

. Almost as stupid an ending as Ultimates 3 with Doom showing up to claim responsibility for the whole thing.