Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

man, that one took forever at the time cause of the artist. it's a shame it didn't get touched on much afterwards; now all i have related in my head was the awful final fight of Ultimate Alliance 2. still, it was a cool move to send Fury underground.

Wait, UA2 macks on SW some? I just don't get it. How does a game following up on the greatness of UA & the Xmen Legends series before it, incorporating elements of Civil War AND Secret War end up being so shit? Admittedly I dropped off the game the minute they quit with the Civil War component and hit Wakanda though.

Having never read the Steranko stuff from the 70's(it's on the list), I always looked to Ennis' mini as the best take on Fury as a character in this modern PC world, but good god Secret War showcases his 'man out of time' persona so well.

• 2 weeks later...

The Steranko stuff is the shit, JZA. Really surreal, and he nails the Bond vibe better than Bond. You have to take it in context with other comics at the time though, natch.

I came here to talk about The Ultimates. I'd read the first two years ago, reread them again. Still pretty entertaining. I always thought Volume 2 Part 2, with the Evil Foreign Avengers, was getting pretty stupid (even though it did have it's moments), so I started ignoring it (along with the rest of the Ultimate universe, really).

I'm reading Ultimates 3. Holy god. It makes me regret ever saying an unkind word about the previous installments. Grand Theft America looks like it was written by fucking J. D. Salinger now.

Finally read Walking dead 14 and:

fucker just can't catch a break can he?

And having finished God loves, man kills I feel that this hole in my heart that I didn't know was there is filled.

Tonight I read: Locke & Key, welcome to Lovecraft and Head Games.

Finally read Walking dead 14 and:

fucker just can't catch a break can he?

And having finished God loves, man kills I feel that this hole in my heart that I didn't know was there is filled.

Tonight I read: Locke & Key, welcome to Lovecraft and Head Games.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm like 3 or so issues behind on it. ill read almost any Brian Wood shit, and im seeing it through...but im a bit sad the book didnt explore a more pivotal direction it was looking at an arc or two back. i'll elaborate in spoiler tags when you guys catch up.

just caught up with walking dead, though i think there's one more issue out@Nza get on it! :D... also, i should probably finish reading Y. :o

what's everyone think so far on what's going on the walking dead verse?

Edited by Senshik

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else picking this one up?

Kagan McLeod's new graphic novel Infinite Kung Fu seemingly occupies the nexus of every martial arts film ever made. There are hyper-stylized wuxia techniques, unbeatable Shaolin monks (and their giant training robots), and a town out of a 1970s blaxploitation flick anachronistically plopped down in an ancient China overrun by the walking dead.

It's all bonkers, but within its tapestry of fists and forbidden arts is an immensely readable fantasy tale. If you like your martial arts à la RZA or with giant flying peaches, this should be your huckleberry.

McLeod — who's made a name for himself doing magazine illustration — has finally collected and appended the scattered issues of the Infinite Kung Fu comic series in this single volume from Top Shelf Productions.

The story here is as simple as it is tortuous — the spirits of the dead are entering corpses and the remaining students of the Eight Immortal kung fu masters have all been corrupted by the forbidden Poison Arts and have pledged allegiances to the evil Emperor.

The Immortals' last hope is Yang Lei Kung, a soldier who accidentally becomes the disciple of the immortal chief Chuang Li Ch'uan. Lei Kung finds Ch'uan's body on an icy mountain and cremates him — it turns out that Ch'uan had just been meditating for nine years, and his spirit comes back to haunt/teach/yell at Lei Kung for burning him mid-enlightenment.

From there, McLeod uses Lei Kung's training as the reader's entry point to this trippy dimension, where kung fu is so powerful it grants immortality, regeneration, and just about every damn superpower under the sun. McLeod illustrates this in world in handsome grayscale brush strokes that make each masters' increasingly absurd techniques look splendiferous. And if you need a primer on the book's various crazy techniques, there's a 250-page preview online.

Infinite Kung Fu may not always make a ton of sense, but A.) neither do some of the most watchable martial arts films; and B.) this book always look exquisite. With its wholesale zombie slaughter (that never come across as played out), slapstick fight scenes, and deranged roster of martial artists.

• 2 weeks later...

Best book you've never heard of: First Wave. Azzarello(who forever gets a pass for 100 Bullets, Hellblazer run, etc) and Rags Morales colaborate(SP) on a team book made up of Doc Savage, Batman & the Spirit. Right now I'm just on the Spirit tie-in stuff but I always loves me a good 'inexperienced Batman who's okay with guns' angle. Very pulp.

And now for a quick rant: Key thing about Batman is his use of fear(because everyone outside of Eastern Europe is scared of bats, right?) as a weapon, yet he's still gun-shy. Love to my boy Bruce but FFS, when you're not above kryptonite boxing gloves, kidnap and bat-shark-repellant you might's well give up the pretense and use a fucking gun. Simple, effective, Joker's less likely to walk let alone set up elaborate deathtraps when you pop a round into each knee. Babs would've been cool with that too back when she couldn't walk. Shit, given how wheelchair accessable the Bat-cave isn't, I'd make crippling my M.O if I couldn't just man up and put two in the back of their heads.

JZA - azarello gets a pass for 100 bullets, or on it? too easy

bindy - stop at planet hulk. it's fantastic and you don't need World War Hulk in your life.

damn, dont know how i missed Logan's post on Infinite Kung-Fu, but i gotta go find that one now, thanks man!