Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

It was far far better than I expected and I expected quite a lot. Even if the entirety of Evelyn Cream was the most nonsensical thing I've ever read I wouldn't change a bit of this book. I imagine that some people read Issue 15 and said "I'm going to make a comic book company just about this" and founded Avatar Comics.

The torrent I downloaded came with all the Neil Gaiman stuff but I red two or three arcs and lost interest. Maybe I'll get back to it eventually, right now I think I'll get to work on Saga of Swamp Thing.

Glad to hear all of that. You done me proud this day.

Nothing special about the Gaiman stuff. Just him doing what he started his career doing, only more blatant than usual: trying really hard to be Alan Moore.

Are you people paying attention here?!? I'm gonna be putting this shit in my sig. Ryan "Fuck Alan Moore" 'baytor is on board, dunno why the rest of you torrenting bastards are sitting on it.

I'm looking at you, Jizzers and Nizzerrs.

My only legit bitch about Miracleman is occasionally awful art. The "WARNING: Contains graphic scenes of childbirth" issue may be one of the most poorly drawn (and especially colored) comic books of all time.

After the verbal lashing I got at H-Con for having never cracked open a page of Powers, I finally finished the Who Killed Retro Girl? arc. Good stuff and I can't wait to read more. I'm also still slowly chugging along reading the DCnU stuff. And as always I'm up to date on The Boys and The Walking Dead.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

^^Eh, I agree w/ your overall sentiment, but to play devil's advocate, Sam Keith had the first few issues, and I think even he's said his art wasn't the best fit for the book. And Mike Drindenberg(sp?) wasn't my favorite artist either (ditto for Kelly Jones). But Bachalo did have an issue or two in the regular series; however, he really came to be linked w/ Sandman more so for his work on the two Death miniseries. So, if Baytorhater5000 is referring to the first year or two of the Sandman series, I'd concede the art was less than mainstream, but atrocious? Feh.

And when looking at the art of the entire series, you've got Charles Vess, P. Craig Russell, M. Zulli, Jill Thompson, and other great artists. Not to mention the monthly mixed-media masterpieces by Dave McKean on the covers.

yeah, haku was spot-on.

and agreed on the coloring; i had a copy of the first trade that sat in the sun in the back of someone's car and faded like shit, still looked about the same as i recall. best thing about the absolute editions was the touch-ups/recoloring, i thought.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just realized that Watchmen came out AFTER Miracleman. Which now knocks Watchmen down a peg from where it stood when I thought it was a great idea not yet fully developed building up to Miracleman. With the possible exceptions of From Hell and Saga of Swampthing (which remain undread at the time of this post) I'm starting to see a clear and fairly steady de-evolution in Alan Moore's writing starting at Miracleman (easily the best things he's ever written) and landing somewhere around League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century. He may have more in common with Frank Miller than I'd realized.

Yeah I keep forgetting about stuff like that and Tom Strong (which I've heard was very good) but a more clear picture is starting to form here that maybe Alan Moore and Frank Miller just have different versions of the same crazy-itis. Moore just has the more subliminal British version while Miller has the louder more obvious American one.

• 1 month later...

I don't even like comparing them. Miller just isn't as smart as Moore. At least not as a writer. He has a good, artistic mind for layouts and pacing, but he's really only struck home for me a few times. Now the stuff of his I like, I like quite a bit (Ronin, DKR (natch), some Sin City and Give Me Liberty (the last one veered over into crazy town after that first mini, but it's still kinda entertaining))

But that's not what I came here for.

Y'know what ISN'T totally retarded? Guess.

Nope, that IS totally retarded. Guess again.

Okay, I'll tell ya: Elephantmen. I hadn't given it a second glance, because, frankly, it looks retarded, and I assumed I probably came up with cooler stories playing with my Battle Beasts as a kid. But it's not what I expected.

It has a definite Bladerunner vibe, with a touch of Noir. The first "arc", if you'd call it that, is all I've read. And it's written in a style that's very meandering. It's just a bunch of short little stories that kinda fill you in on the world and characters you're dealing with.

I'm hoping this is just a "hey, no rush here" setup and it starts to tell a more cohesive tale. Either way, I liked it more than I expected to, and it has potential. And it's not totally retarded.

Doing my regular trade borrowing from a friend and this is what I will be reading over the next couple days:

Fables 1&2

Hellboy 1&2

Preacher 1&2 (yep, all your chatter about it has me wanting to try it)

Witch doctor

Everything there is pretty rad. You're gonna have a good couple of days.

I'm up to date on Witch Doctor. It's a fun book. Kinda like a paranormal version of House. It approaches mythological creatures and monsters from a scientific perspective, and I really like some of it's versions of popular creatures/magic (fairies are especially cool).

Cool, thanks for the info. I know that it's on Kirkman's Skybound imprint and was curious. I think I'll check it out now :)

Man I really like Witch Doctor. Looking forward to reading more of it. Animal Man is turning out awesomely as well. Nice recs on both.

Read the first 2 vol. of Invincible. I'm a sucker for them throwing in super hero dopplegangers and letting you figure out who's who. Eager to read more of this and catching up as well.

bindy's in for some goodness with that lineup, ill back hellboy & obviously preacher to death. finally gonna give fable a proper chance this year myself.

panch - lemme know if you ever sort out what the fuck happened with Blade as far as its ending; i was in the tail end of a very, very long arc when it just seemed to've stopped publication over here. i should really check the wiki.

Finished Hellboy 1&2 and Fables 1. (trades)

Both of them I felt didn't draw me in till later in the issues. They started, O.K and sure it was a fun ride but it was not till the end of each that I kept wanting to read more. We will see what happens tomorrow when I read Fables 2 and Preacher 1&2.

I've come to the conclusion that Fantastic Four is getting too big for it's britches, as we like to say Down Under(assuming you don't have that phrase. I don't think you even know what britches are. Well they're pants). TWO FF books every month? Who do these fuckers think they are? The West Coast Avengers?! Seriously, just trying to catch up on Hickman's brilliant FF run when I discover as of #12 I'm only getting half the story. I don't know if it'll carry on this way but as off right now I'm commencing #13 with no idea who the fuck Kristoff is or what the hell happened with the multiverse Reed. Back to Piratebay I guess...