Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

The common thread I've found thusfar in my Hellblazer experience with the varied writers is it's a very ambient & moody book. I'm really digging Delano's writing style.

You know, I thought the same thing when I read the early Hellblazer's: This Delano guy is cool as hell.

Since then I don't think I've ever read anything else he's ever done. Did he just fall of the earth? He was up there hovering slightly below the best of the 1st wave of Moore-wannabes (Gaiman, Milligan, Morrison), but he never made the splash those guys did.

Anyone have any good Delano to recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm really diggin' Exiles, I'm on issue #29 and I've been waiting for the shit-shoe to drop for the last 10. I've been consistently surprised.

So I look up and think

2r2n8ee.jpg

followed by my trademark "GYAAAH! CATERPILLERS!".

Then I see it. Chuck Austen. This better be temporary.

Wotta fuckin' douche. Looks like I've identified a big chunk of Uncanny I won't have to waste time reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Very surprising who ended up driving the nail in Exiles coffin. I was actually kinda stoked when I saw Chris Claremont was writing the issue I was about to read.

My...my god. The years have not been kind. It's just a disjointed mess with giant sloppy plot holes all over the place. I finished #99 and I just suddenly don't care to read anymore. It's just awful. I have a laundry list of dumb things or stuff that doesn't make sense.

20at6vr.jpg

jzxth3.jpg

That would be Sabretooth, from the appropriately apocalyptic Age of Apocalypse.

/facepalm

It's still better than Chuck Austen's run.

...if you're saying Cleremont should've been (respectfully) put out to pasture years ago.../co-signed to death; i read like the first 10 issues of X-Men Forever the same way i read All-Star Batman: it's like i know a trainwreck is gonna happen somewhere, and ive got nothing better going that day than to watch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I took the dive. I've been a Marvel kid ever since I was little, even collected Marvel cards (many of which I still have). The only exception to this was to read Batman, and of course, the death and return of Superman (which along side Knighsbane are good novels). I finally gave in tonight and borrowed Green Lantern Corps: Recharge and Green Lantern Corps: To Be A Lantern. I have to say that I am enjoying it, some of the lore is a little lost on me but it seems to be a great beginners place for a newb like me.

You mean Knightfall, yeah? That was the novel that got me into comics and ironically, I still haven't read the comic version(but desperately want ti to be the central theme of the next Batman movie).

Stopped off Hellblazer for a bit because I'm lazy, read the newest Hush escapade at the behest of Sexy Hat, picked up Spiderman Noir for shits and giggles.

I also torrented the first volume of Scott Pilgrim, because just like when I read the bible, it's better to know my enemy

I do actually! Along with this other Spidey novel where he's in Miami fighting the Lizard in the Everglades. I loved that book! Cause you know how novels get super detailed about their settings. I was like 13 thinking... 'Spider-Man's fighting right around the corner... FROM MY HOUSE"!

Was actually the inspiration for Blood Bath 23 and 24.

congrats on the PS3, man!

i was just looking at Maxx TPB's last week...series was like 35 issues or so, wasn't it? still dont know why i cant get the complete thing in one book, $12/each for like 6 trades seems a bit much, despite the fact that i went back years later & finished this series...holy shit, for what Image was doing at the time, this was years ahead of the curve.

yeah, i coined the "Irish Ninja" thing when DJ Ario X was performing a band thing for a local used car dealership, and this dude John - claiming to be Cutler Ridge's only black irishman - wanted it. we argued over it for as long as he remembered the issue, which for him was likely a week tops...but since i was using IC at the time, i gave it to him for that headline. He's kooky, but he's a good guy.

PS waitin' for the trade :yup:

• 1 month later...

Just finished: Green Lantern Rebirth, Green Lantern: No Fear, and Green Arrow Year One. Been reading the lantern corps stuff and reading a lot of DC. (I was a Marvel child growing up and one of my good friends was a DC kid so he's schooling me on the DCU. All I read of DC growing up was some Batman like Knightfall and the death and return of Superman.)

About to start reading: Kingdom Come