Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

mayhaps one could store such a fine yarn in yon suitcase where one would normally keep his undergarments. no need for them, eh wot

its a serious question, though: i love the HC library look, but part of my decision to switch to trades was lend--ability. if people are daunted by books that could be used as weapons, mebbe the SC crowd has the right idea, with its money-saving ways. i guess it depends on the series, and extras too...still salty the Preacher HCs dont seem to bring extras.

• 2 weeks later...

where the fuck are Moon Knight and Ghost Rider these days? they both seem mad late. I cant wait till the next Iron Fist, either. speaking of...

Immortal Weapons - More awesome kung-fu, with solid backstory on the warriors of the 7 cities. I really love this shit, got me on a kung-fu movie downloading spree today. Fat Cobra was awesome, this week should be Bride of Nine Spiders, was always wondering about her.

Hulk & Incredible Hulk 600+ - ok, so....

Banner is depowered, for the time, and Rulk's identity is being hinted at still but nothing solid, despite Domino knowing. i cannot be made to care about the son of hulk shit, sorry but WWH made me want to forget all of the post Planet Hulk elements.

the impending Hulk/Deadpool/Punisher etc team vs X-Force fight should be really cool. as an side, im so, so tired of big names like that being treated like 2nd raters when fucking Elektra shows up. really? she's a fucking ninja-bitch that kills. not the be-all-end-all, people.

Incognito 6 - Sad to see this one end, but im debating the TPB. Good times - this one'd make a fun flick.

Hellboy: The Wild Hunt # 6 - i honestly think im enjoying pulp more than superhero these days. As enjoyable as any Hellboy tale, and given that he's been sidelined by BPRD books for a while now, its refreshing to see him around again - though i do dig that BPRD has been fleshed out enough to be interesting on their own without him.

more to come. I also caught up on most Blackest Night books, but shit's so dismal & dark it feels like DC might paint itself into a corner, but given that the event's rooted in GL, i cant turn away.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I was scavenging at the local Half Priced books recently and stumbled across the first Supreme Powers hardcover shrink wrapped for a damn good price. I had never heard of this. I'm scoping it out, it's a MAX book, it's written by Straczynski. Reading the blurb on the back it appears to be his take on Superman.

Right on. Figured it could be cool and I had originally picked up Invincible for much of the same reasons so I gave it a shot. First issue was solid, I'm enjoying it. 2nd issue it cuts to a child who has his parents murdered in front of him, his father had just been talking about a hawk so I think:

"Oh, I bet this is gonna be his Batman character, and I bet his name will be Night Hawk...but Marvel already has a character named Night Hawk in Squadron Supr-OH SHIT!" The cogs slipping into gear in my mind was almost audible.

Yes, I was 2 issues in before I realized I was reading a Squadron Supreme book. Even though the name "Hyperion" was used in the first issue. For some reason it didn't register.

The first volume wasn't so bad. I chose to view the issue in which Hyperion waltzes into the military installation as an homage to Miracleman #3 rather than a ripoff. I mean, it's told in the exact same fashion (in the form of a damage assessment/ play-by-play report by an officer to his superior) and has some of the exact same moments and dialogue ("Why did he land outside and walk through the perimeter? Why not just fly straight in?" "I think he was trying to send us a message."). SS is in itself Marvel's answer to the MM scenario, I'm fine with him embracing that.

First volume kept me interested. Grabbed the 2nd on (since it was the same price) and didn't enjoy it nearly as much. I'm done with the series. I wiki'd it and saw that after a crossover with the Ultimate universe (groan) Howard Chaykin takes over for a little bit.

I think Sam Jackson can sum up my feelings on Howard Chaykin these days better than I ever could.

SamJack.jpg?t=1266098735

What the fuck happened to you, man? Shit, your ass used to be beautiful!

Anyone who doesn't know wtf I'm talking about should check out American Flagg or Black Kiss. There are times when Chaykin is better at being Frank Miller than Frank miller is.

Edited by Thelogan Prime
spelling error

i have read neither of those books, and wanted to add a few things:

1) yeah, again, Supreme Power started off great and went nowhere really. i too stopped at the ultimate crossover, i think the hulk fucked that strong chick and i was just kinda done.

2) @ Chaykin...true story. at Mega-Con, 2T (of course drunk) met him, and proceeded to call him "Coward Fakin' ". when Howard asked him "do you think im not howard?", 2T replied, "sir i dont think he conceptually exists." he then got him to sign his passport (?) and they talked about how 2T liked him "when he was good in the day" on Crisis or 2000 AD, i forget which, and Chaykin was so happy that somebody'd read those books. i was mostly outta the loop, but soon after would read one of the worst goddamn ^_^ stories (this is saying a lot for me) and i think he phoned in the art or something. anyway, good guy.

2) @ Chaykin...true story. at Mega-Con, 2T (of course drunk) met him, and proceeded to call him "Coward Fakin' ". when Howard asked him "do you think im not howard?", 2T replied, "sir i dont think he conceptually exists." he then got him to sign his passport (?) and they talked about how 2T liked him "when he was good in the day" on Crisis or 2000 AD, i forget which, and Chaykin was so happy that somebody'd read those books. i was mostly outta the loop, but soon after would read one of the worst goddamn ^_^ stories (this is saying a lot for me) and i think he phoned in the art or something. anyway, good guy.

That's one of the coolest anecdotes ever. I'm still chuckling about "Coward Fakin".

I'll take your word for it, I hadn't even heard of them until the MAX series. What were they exactly? Where they always dark gritty JLA knock-offs or were they just flat-out ripoffs?

The Squadron Sinister appeared in a handful of Avengers titles in the 60's and 70's, they were essentially just DC characters that the Avengers could fight. Squadron Supreme was the alternate earth good guy versions of the same characters. All of their appearances were pretty terrible and hokey (like most of Marvel at the time).

Around the time that Watchmen came out, Marvel was clearly noticing that Eclipse and DC were having a lot of success with placing superheroes in a more realistic setting and having them deal with grittier issues. Squadron Supreme was snatched out of obscurity and given a mini-series.

At that point I hesitate to call them "Rip-Offs" because it's just to blatant. I remember reading a letter in an issue of Adventure Into Fear where a guy was bitching because Wundarr's origin was clearly a rip-off of Superman.../sigh

Literally every character (except 3 villains) in that universe has a DC counterpart.

The original mini-series was flawed, clumsily written and forgettable. But shit, I guess it was better than New Universe and Power Pack. All a matter of perspective I suppose.

• 3 months later...

just finished up B.P.R.D. King of Fear and The Sword, the latter being the latest and least-carzy of the Luna brothers...not bad, still dont know that id buy the trades though.

looking forward to getting into Wood's Demo vol 2, with 3 issues out already. im really trying to slim down my pull list, i cant possibly be following 30+ books a month like this.

Reading the accumulated prelude to Siege right now, onto like, Thor #602 or so. I recall someone saying elsewhere that Loki's manouvres here were a masterstroke but damn, Strazynski hasn't been this readable since the strange Mini.

• 1 month later...

So having been slowed down somewhat on the Marvel event line with terrible SI tie-ins, I've switched up to Hellblazer, starting from the very beginning. I seem to recall reading some of Delano's stuff back in the day like right before the Ennis stuff, it's better than I remember.

Good luck w/ Hellblazer from the get-go. I tried it a year or so ago when I DL'd a megatorrent. I didn't get far. Right now I'm trying to catch up on INVINCIBLE. According to Panch it starts "slow," I'm on issue #4 and I tend to agree.

Give it at least until around issue 10-14 (I read the HC's, I don't know issue #'s), that's about when it hooked me.

Early Hellblazer was great, I bought the second trade (because those fucks at Vertigo don't feel like numbering them) and enjoyed the hell out of it and ended up reading a lot of the rest of the early stuff because of it. It's talky and every once in a while you get a really out there issue that's more weird than good but I found it mostly to be good.

Early Hellblazer was great, I bought the second trade (because those fucks at Vertigo don't feel like numbering them) and enjoyed the hell out of it and ended up reading a lot of the rest of the early stuff because of it. It's talky and every once in a while you get a really out there issue that's more weird than good but I found it mostly to be good.

The common thread I've found thusfar in my Hellblazer experience with the varied writers is it's a very ambient & moody book. I'm really digging Delano's writing style.