Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Too late sir, I have other things on the pile but I will add them to my queue that my friend is piling up for me. I just finished Wanted: Hal Jordan and am working on Revenge of the Green lanterns now. Enjoying the series a lot but damn if they don't retell Hals origin like every fucking 2 issues.

Read Superman: Red Son

red%20son.jpg

and Elseworlds Annual: Superboy #1.

300px-Superboy_Annual_Vol_4_1.jpg

It's a part 2, but it the first part doesn't matter. Just read that.

Panch! the first part is great, it establishes the scene and you meet all the players. Do you still have a second copy of that, speaking of which?

• 1 month later...

Just about done with Justice League Elite, I should really pimp this to Archangel given what a Flash fan he is, since he's kind of a focal point between the two teams. Seriously great series even if it IS setting itself up for a wonky ending though.

Plus I geeked the fuck out to find Action Comics #775 packed into volume 1.

• 2 weeks later...

O.k keeping on with my DCU edumacation I've finished reading the Morrison run of Batman where Damion is introduced all the way up to R.I.P. I did really like the way they showed the evolution of the Joker in it but maybe I need to give it another once over because parts of it still left me going..."huh"?

On that note I read Final Crisis as well, having a very limited knowledge of the DCU made it practically unreadable at times but I stuck it through.

...good luck with all that

slowly catching up on books:

Scarlet # 3 - still one of my favorites, i just love this team, seeing them on their own shit is such a joy. can't wait for the trade.

Invincible # 75 - damn, shit has been hitting the fan for this whole Viltrumite (sp?) War arc, but....

totally wasn't expecting to see Oliver bite it :misty: , dying to know who gets to walk away from the end of this arc...god id love to see Mark and his dad rip off the king's head, we'll see though eh? i really hope Allen makes it too.

Shadowland - Yeah, still a crazy 90s book, enjoying this ride to nowhere. Dropped one of the minis, Moon Knight was alright, debating Power-Man one and still somewhat enjoying Daughters of the Shadow.

Daredevil # 511 - yeah, im not sure they're gonna keep Matt around after this event...

Ultimate Comics Avengers - Caught up on this...oh, Millar. Blaxploitation Blade isn't the worst thing that's happened, i guess, but this really is the only way he/Ennis can write blacks sometimes.

Still puzzled why Punisher Max # 10 doesn't seem to be happening; its not like Dillon can't handle 2 books at once.

X-Factor - Still about the best X-book on the market, consistently. god, with Twilight X-Men (lest i checked, for the non-Fraction book), :wolvy: inexplicably/awkwardly in hell, etc, i think this is like the only X-book im gonna stick with as i thin out my monthly pull list.

Deadpool - yeah, i can't quit his book proper, and with the Secret Avengers on their way, even better. ive learned to leave the minis/spinoffs alone finally, though.

Secret Warriors - i cant say it enough; Hickman is one of Marvel's finest right now. cant wait to catch up on S.H.I.E.L.D. and (dare i say it), FF. he's that good.

still sitting on Invincible Iron Man, Bru Cap (didnt really dig the Super Solider mini so much...), DMZ, New Avengers (dropped the JRJR book finally), BPRD/Baltimore - The Plague Ships, Carnage, Kick-Ass vol 2, and Superior # 1 (moar Millar). Lapham's Crossed: Family Values was predictably going nowhere for me, Alan Moore's Neonomicon can't show up fast enough, and im still gonna rubberneck Spawn 200 just cause.

STUPIDSTUPIDSPOILER-READINGDOGFUCKER!!

I gotta catch up on Invincible, and I'm a fucking idiot for reading NZA's spoiler. Fucking moronic.

Just finished Second Coming(I can't find where we were discussing it previously?!) and yeah,

Nightcrawler biting it shook me, and goddamnit he fucking deserved a better tribute artist!! Cable, less so because you know some alternate reality version(maybe UltiWolviCable?)/Nate Grey/Stryfe are just in the wings waiting

Finally procured #6 of Powers and for those not paying attention: Deena's back in a very fucking bizarre circumstance. I think I know how this is gonna play out, but hopefully Bendis isn't just phoning it in as he has thusfar this volume...

that's what you get, fucker. ironically? i did the exact same thing with the exact same spoiler on another forum :misty:

2nd Coming: pretty much my sentiments...

Cable's dead until they next time a writer has an interesting angle, which im cool with, i still love that character. Kurt did indeed sting. tempted to read X-Men book just to see Nate again though.

and yeah, Powers...

maybe im just happy to see Deena, but im cool with this. takes her million settlement & gets recruited by the feds? i'll see where it goes, sounds alright...im more wary of Walker's part time Green Lantern duty sometimes.

I doubt they'll wait until there's an interesting angle though, stoopid Marvel. Seeing Scott called to answer for X-Force from like, all his peers though, makes me want to go read Xforce(of which I've only read x-over issues thusfar), because I didn't realise it was thatBlack ops.

Re; Powers-

A million dollar payout then recruited by feds? It smells like so much BS especially when she's notorious for not playing the game, plus so many unanswered questions about Johnny Royale. I'm sad to think the only answer to all this is she's here to bring Walker down on some BS fed beef, or(more likely) get him on a Federal powers payroll which (chances are) will fuck his role as GL-analogue

yeah, if it is the Azarello one, it's crazy dark and fantastic...about the closest to joker's persona in The Dark Knight film too. really good stuff.

I've just been hurt previously by my boy Azzarello on a mainstream book. sick.gif

you are fucking with me here. one of my biggest h-con disappointments was our lack of drunkenly talking about 100 Bullets' endgame, and how you'd come around to it despite my feeling that it was a letdown of a rush-job. you going back on this now, or...?

*edit wait wait you said mainstream....uhhhhhh

Edited by The NZA
uhhhhhhh

Yeah the Batman arc: Broken City, not to mention the absolutely terrible For Tomorrow arc on Superman with Jim Lee. I eman, I wanted to like it so baad...

Lack of 100 bullets talk @ the con was probably the least of the shit I wish we did and didn't.

Regarding Azza on mainstream properties though, I did like his take on Banner.

• 4 weeks later...

ah man... Reread the series as a whole and it makes sense. You gotta admit, after #50 when the focus comes off the briefcase and onto the greater tapestry it's fragmented as hell. I was having trouble keeping track of one arc to the next as it was coming monthly, so I know what you mean. If Walking Dead experiences moderate success though I'd fucking love, still, to see some kind of 'Tales from the Briefcase' series focussing simply on morality tales, hosted by Victor or Loop. It could be this generation's Twilight Zone...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spawn # 200 - yahven nailed it, its cheezy fun with over-the-top/verbose dialogue. Todd & co got me to remember the fun the earlier series had (lotta classic players are involved), no idea what's going on and im sure it wont matter but it's servicable.

Scarlet # 4 - still about the best thing im reading right now. 2 issues left, trade is bought.

Carnage # 2 - this is a modern, better-drawn venom/carnage mini from the 90s, and i enjoyed most of them, so same here. baytor might enjoy, though i know he's a much bigger brock fan.

Neonomicon # 3 - pretty dark shit, even for Moore. kinda wondering (since its part of a series) if its gonna come to a head in this one or drag out like Warren Ellis' ultimate nightmare, as its taking its time this issue.

catching up on FF (before its spoiled!), Iredeemable, New Avengers (eh), X-factor, the boys, DMZ, cap, S.H.I.E.L.D...man, fall off a few weeks and you get swamped.

Wait, Carnage is about Venom? I have no idea what's going on with symbiotes anymore I know that Eddie Brock is (last I checked) still Anti-Venom and Kletus Cassidy is dead, but now Venom's some sorta Black Spider-Man/Deapool looking monstrosity and I can only assume that's not Mac Gargan, so who the fuck are in the Venom and Carnage suits and in the face of all this why is it that Toxin was considered to be a bad idea?

sorry; last comment was meant to flesh out that it was like those minis but its not about venom at all - it's carnage's show, complete with characters from maximum carnage.

The Boys # 50 was kinda meh, not even sure why i still read it. New Avengers might get dropped soon too.