Hondo's Bar

American football vs Soccer football

The NZA

Football!  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you had to brand just one as football, then the honor should go to soccer, because in essence it IS football. The whole point of the game is to KICK the ball around the field. When it comes to American football, the only time they ever KICK the ball is on Kickoff, punting, and when making field goals, otherwise the majority of the time everyone is TACKLING one another. In my opinion Soccer should be Football, and American football should be "Tackleball".

I think if you had to brand just one as football, then the honor should go to soccer, because in essence it IS football. The whole point of the game is to KICK the ball around the field. When it comes to American football, the only time they ever KICK the ball is on Kickoff, punting, and when making field goals, otherwise the majority of the time everyone is TACKLING one another. In my opinion Soccer should be Football, and American football should be "Tackleball".

wow...i feel so refreshed to have heard this argument for the 257,524,586,521st time!

I'm surprised no one that actually knows about soccer--or should i say "football"--mentioned it before! jeez! this is something else!! way to go acalis!--or should I say Cpt. Obvious

wow...i feel so refreshed to have heard this argument for the 257,524,586,521st time!

I'm surprised no one that actually knows about soccer--or should i say "football"--mentioned it before! jeez! this is something else!! way to go acalis!--or should I say Cpt. Obvious

Maybe this is'nt my place to say but, don't you think you and skeet are a little harsh on acalis?

p.s. I still have nothin' but love for ya', you're without doubt one o' my favourite hondonians.

Last I checked, this thread is all about the argument of "American Football vs. Soccer Football", and my posts are legitimate to the topic of this thread. '

So my posts are as legitimate as the next man's Lobo--or should I say "Ms. OBLIVIOUS" :unsure:

• 6 months later...
You have to be pretty badass to play in the NFL!

Yeah, you have to be pretty badass to wear al that fucking armour they have. And then, they complaint how difficult and how much in pain they are... Faggots... The real game is RUGBY. Now, there's a real sport. No fucking protection, and still trying to kill eachother in the game.

And wacht again sucker. The REAL football (the one where actually use the feet, hence the name) is wining the poll.

Well, while they have padding and "armour" in american football, they hit a lot harder than they do in rugby, if you did half the kind of tackles you see in NLF in rugby, you'd be sent off, the only thing you can't do in american football to stop a player is to grab the facemask...

The helmets and "armour" are there for a reason.. To stop people being killed.

In rugby, you don't have people flying through the air at another human trying to stop them.

I've played both (i had a tryout for an american football team near enough to me, i got called up, but i'd rather survive past age 22), and to be honest, american football was more fun and a Lot more intelligent, but i don't think i'd be up for how out and out pysical it is. I found rugby very monotonous, both to play and watch, at least i can watch NFL and enjoy it...

Now, NFL vs the premiership, well, Obvious choice really... Premiership all the way

im not much for voyeuring sports of any non-boxing kind, so i kinda gauge what's more fun to play, and that's soccer: you just need a big field and a ball, basically.

Football's fun to play too, but not as fun as kill the man with the ball, the demented cousin of football. then again, i cant catch worth a fuck so that likely influences my decision here.

I think the biggest factors in determing which sport you prefer is region and upbringing.

As much as I admire the athelticsm of socccer player, and I truly love national grudge matches like Brazil vs, Argentina etc...

I was raised by a father, who loved and coached American Football, and I was raised in a city during the dominant years of the Miami football franchises.

I have many latin american friends who love soccer because that it was they grew up loving. I have a good time with them watches their matches, but I will never love it as much as American football.

Its true football is violent, but there is also a complex side to it as DoJ eluded to with rules. I have coached youth football, there is an element to that makes it like a violent chess match, putting your players in place to either defend or attack your opponent. The rules are complicated, the only thing I can say the more you watch it, the more you pick up the rules. After while you just accept them as part of the strategy in the game.

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

you just need a big field and a ball, basically.

sometimes not even that.

my dad was tellin' me about how when he was younger,

when they were playing gaelic football (which is played with a ball very similar to soocer) that they used to play with an inflated pigs bladder, 'cos they could'nt afford a football

• 1 month later...
sometimes not even that.

my dad was tellin' me about how when he was younger,

when they were playing gaelic football (which is played with a ball very similar to soocer) that they used to play with an inflated pigs bladder, 'cos they could'nt afford a football

Way to reinforce stereotypes there my friend.

When i was younger me and my mate would play soccer in a little alley way, no more than 6 feet wide!!!

• 5 months later...

I'm gonna agree w IC on this one, as far as humble athletes and getting folks together go, it is far easier ( > fun) to get 6 folks for a 3v3 that can turn into an insane 20v20 if friendly Pick-Ups show (PUG ;) ) Than a 4v4 pigskin with flags/mod rules game. Also not big on just watching other people have fun... watching a soccer game can be exciting in part because it IS possible to "learn a move" from TV and run and try it out on the field. It won't work nearly as well as plays require some rehearsal and most jukes demand skill (LOL - but we try anyway). Yet it still is possible.

On the other hand, American football's great plays require massive rehearsal and fantastic physique that most humans don't have. Long passes don't reach with accuracy and great tackles are as attractive as a visit to our lame HMO's.

In other words, party of my bias towards soccer is the fact that it's an everyman game where all you need is a round thing to kick around and a flat surface to play on. American football is a statistics heavy entertainment venue that requires advanced training ( to handle tackles ), gear and planning ( the QB/Coach duo is essential) to actually play competitively. Pick up american football downgrades into a display of passing prowess with little actual "play".

What do you guys think? Liverpool or Barcelona? I'm not sure myself but I feel it leans towards the English win.