Hondo's Bar

American football vs Soccer football

The NZA

Football!  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played and coached American Football, for nearly 20 years. That being said.

The most violent sport I have ever seen is women's high school and college soccer.

One of my good friends in high school fell trying to come up with a loose ball. she fell to the ground and they kicked her in the base of the skull on purpose. It gave her paralysis for 6 hours, until the the spinal tissue swelling stopped.

turns out she's been indefinitely suspended, shoulda seen that coming. i mean, quick recap:

m9lm2v.gif

1s00w2.gif

"This is in no way indicative of my character" haha, no doubt, you're likely a team player who had a bad day! someone get this chick onto MMA.

oh, and back in the american football corner: brian dawkins is apparently awesome.

Football.gif

• 4 months later...
whereas in american football, there is literaly a stoppage every 2 minutes, and a commercial break.

This is true. It drives me bat shit sometimes. (Especially if it's a bullshit call.)

I'm not as up on Football/Soccer as I am on other sports. I know the Vatican has a team, or was trying to get one... I'll root for Team Ireland every time though. Perhaps I could learn.

We have Major League Soccer here, (New England Revolution) But it's kind of a joke. No sports channels really carry it, and little is reported on the internet about it. I'd rather root for a serious team, like Team Ireland. :)

This is true. It drives me bat shit sometimes. (Especially if it's a bullshit call.)

I'm not as up on Football/Soccer as I am on other sports. I know the Vatican has a team, or was trying to get one... I'll root for Team Ireland every time though. Perhaps I could learn.

We have Major League Soccer here, (New England Revolution) But it's kind of a joke. No sports channels really carry it, and little is reported on the internet about it. I'd rather root for a serious team, like Team Ireland. :)

I'm not gonna lie, that made me cringe someting awful, the bold bits.

Eh, I was thinking more World Cup I guess. See? I dunno much at all really. :( But I'm willing to learn. I gots some googling to do I guess. :)

You're not that far off, it's just the term "Team ....." is something we only hear used in cheesy American sports movies.

don't ya'll play with England?

We play with Engand in as many sporting events as America does with Russia.

Edited by alive she cried

• 5 months later...

I think the biggest factors in determing which sport you prefer is region and upbringing.

As much as I admire the athelticsm of socccer player, and I truly love national grudge matches like Brazil vs, Argentina etc...

I was raised by a father, who loved and coached American Football, and I was raised in a city during the dominant years of the Miami football franchises.

I have many latin american friends who love soccer because that it was they grew up loving. I have a good time with them watches their matches, but I will never love it as much as American football.

Its true football is violent, but there is also a complex side to it as DoJ eluded to with rules. I have coached youth football, there is an element to that makes it like a violent chess match, putting your players in place to either defend or attack your opponent. The rules are complicated, the only thing I can say the more you watch it, the more you pick up the rules. After while you just accept them as part of the strategy in the game.

I know it's been YEARS since Dark posted this, but I think it needs recognition (y'all just ignored the shit outta him). I agree completely. It's all about were you grew up. Soccer's just not popular in America, because it's considered 'foreign'. Football's not cool everywhere else because of the same reason. Whatever, there are exceptions, of course. Now, let me ask this question to all the 'foreigners' on here: Is there youth football (football is football and soccer is soccer) in your countries? Cause it's not like Americans don't grow up playing soccer. Every little kid in America, for the most part, have been in some youth soccer league. Me included. So why the fuck, if every American kid plays soccer, is it not more popular? Because there are cooler sports here. Simple. Football, baseball, basketball all dominate the American airwaves. Maybe, if you guys were a little more open minded about sports, i.e. having youth football leagues, you'd probably have more appreciation for it. And respect.