Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Gaming Journal

bishopcruz

That does look pretty cool...will you be able to make it downloadable at some point?

few others i forgot to get into a bit:

B00024W1U6.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64281145_.jpg

Shin Megami, after only a few hours in, seems like the darkest RPG ive ever played: bascially, you're in the one building that isnt affected by a hellish apocalypse that occurs in the game's prologue. there's a creepy element to the first-person investigation of the hospital rooms and such, but then boom, everything chnages and youre not even human anymore.

When i get back into RPGs this is gonna be one of the first i do so with, just to see how dark it gets.

B0000A09EM.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64251911_.jpg

This one has me intrgiued; before, i was convinced the only Castlevania i wanted to play was old-school Belmont style (a la Super Castlevania IV) or the RPG Alucard style everyone loved in Symphony of the Night. This one definitely has RPG elements to it, but the gameplay somehow succeeds where other chapters id played had not before: hits isnt that far removed from the series' classic gameply in a 3D setting. I'm several hours in, fighting bosses and destroying every candle in sight while navigating the map for hidden rooms and such, so yeah, this is pretty cool.

Aside from playing more of the ones from my previous post, ill be messing with these, poissibly Disgaea and The Punisher in the near future, if time permits.

Dragon Quest VIII, the first ending is knocked out, only took me 72 fucking hours. Christ, this game is so good in so many ways it's a shame that it occassionally falls prey to stupid stupid shit. I mean the combat is fun, the characters have tons of personality, the sotryline is, well, basic but competent.

That is except for the points where the game seems to drag the party through hoops that defy all logic, this happens several times throughout the game, and generally they involve people asking out hero ridiculous requests that he of course being the Silent Hero is powerless to refuse. It can get REALLY annoying at times. It's one of the things I LOVE about western RPGs is the ability to often not be intimidated into doing something by a guy whose ass I can obviously kick. Nope, in this game you just smile and get carted around form dumb quest to dumb quest without saying a fucking WORD.

Semi-Spoilery rant:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The game has been a lot of fun regardless, but the constant bits of plot like that just annoyed the hell out of me.

Edited by bishopcruz

Xenosaga III

qr0owy.jpg

Because I'm to lazy I'm ripping this from some website. Which sums up how I feel.

A little over three years ago, a game that seemed like it might just have what it took to stand up to Final Fantasy appeared. Xenosaga Episode I had amazing graphics, an engrossing and epic story in a far-flung future, and the challenging gameplay to back it up. It had more ambition and polish than any other contender.

Things... didn't work out.

Xenosaga Episode II followed two years later, scaled way back, its story mostly told in flashbacks and its gameplay oversimplified. Predictably, many of the gamers responsible for the original game's well-deserved success ignored it. Now, the series screeches to a halt. At some point, Namco decided that going for Final Fantasy's jugular was a mistake.

The good news? Episode III recovers a lot of ground that the second game gave up. Although it's better in every way, it's still nowhere near the no-expense-spared epic that the original was. That said, it's a serious and engrossing RPG, and a dignified send-off for a troubled series.

The strength of the Xenosaga games remains the story. By the time Episode III's first disc is through, it has boiled its universe-wide space opera all the way down to the level of the series' heroine, Shion Uzuki, and then ramped it all back up again. It's a harrowing tale that encompasses both the deeply personal and the infinitely important in a way that no other RPG narrative quite has.

If you thought the story-to-gameplay ratio of prior entries was low, though, this one is probably the worst offender. The good news is that the tale is very satisfying: being the last game, it's intense from its first moments, and only gets sharper as it goes. You will see big, climactic things happening. Routinely. Not many RPGs can promise that.

That's not to say it never stumbles, though. Some scenes obviously didn't make much sense to begin with; though the voices are mostly quite good, others are badly dubbed. Worst, the game is heavily censored. Namco Bandai, in its efforts to get a T rating, has sucked all of the blood out of the game. Normally it wouldn't much matter, but major plot points of this game center around brutal violence - including the climactic scene in which the biggest twist in the plot of the entire series is revealed. It's an insult to the fans that have tread the rocky path this series has taken.

I give this game: :):birf2::birf2::birf2:

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories

disgaea_2_f.jpg

The strategy RPG has never been the most accessible or inviting genre out there. You've got pages upon pages of rules to follow, a grid-based map loaded with enemies and troop deployment data to crunch at any given second of gameplay - enough to scare off all but the most hardcore gamers. But Disgaea 2 makes all of it seem easy and fun by wrapping all those thick details around an eccentric cast of demonic warriors and their lone human leader.

Case in point - because everyone's been turned into a demon, all their feelings are gone. Your mother knows she should care her son has been kidnapped and could possibly be dead, but all she can muster is slight concern for all the food she may end up wasting for dinner that night. Putting this silly, lighthearted touch on such a dense game makes it easy for anyone to hop in and, at the very least, want to learn more about this series.

Not that the bottomless options of the last Disgaea aren't here - fans can expect everything they already loved and more. The never-ending Item World is back, as are the monstrous senators of the Dark Assembly. This time, however, you've also got the Dark Court to deal with.

In the first Disgaea, you had to go to the Dark Assembly in between battles to ask for more troops. Same thing applies here - if you want powerful units, the senators have to approve drafting such a potentially dangerous ally. If they're not really fond of you, they'll strike your proposal down, so, you've got to bribe, booze or blast your way into their hearts.

The Dark Court, on the other hand, is all about contradictory behavior. The more times you pull off cheap shots in battle, or level up too much, or whatever the situation may be, you're called to court, where the guilty are rewarded. Demons wear felonies like trophies, but go too far and even these judges will crack and hand down some punishment.

The new stacking ability (piling units on top of each other for a vertical-gauntlet kind of attack) lets you pour on the pain, but you can coast through most of the game without relying on it. But, this is a personal choice, just like the armies you can craft, so each player will find different uses for stacking, recruiting troops and summoning them onto the battle map.

It would be nice if the bottomless Item World weren't the primary way to level up your weapons. Most of the time, the stores don't sell the best stuff - you've got to literally head inside the item in question, tear through its series of monster-ridden floors and gain attributes for each area cleared. Not a bad way to lengthen the game, but annoying when you just want a new axe, dammit.

But all the nitpicking in the world can't keep Disgaea 2 down. It's just too tight a game, even for people who historically hate this type of thing. At least give it a shot - these guys call for help on cell phones and hail cabs in mid-battle, for crying out loud. The sense of danger is there, as are the endless arenas for customization, but the best part will always be the characters and their dead-on voice work. This one doesn't change much, but it's hard to imagine this genre done any better.

And yeah. Here's a game I don't mind wasting 200 hours of my life.

I give this game: :birf2::birf2::birf2::birf2::birf: + infinite

Suikoden Tactics is cool, it would probably have been better if I'd have played Suikoden IV because the game takes place before, durring and after that game (tutorial takes place before Suikoden IV; the beginning plot device takes place at the same time Suikoden IV is suppose to start; and then you character is crippled for three years and the game jumps ahead and the actual gameplay takes place after Suikoden IV).

It plays just like every tactics game out there, but I enjoyed the overall plot, even though the voice acting was horrible and you can just tell it has that "japanese" feel to the story - it is fucking SLOW to develope, but you like it, at least I did.

Yakuza - See the thread for this game, pretty fun, but a series of flaws hinder the game. I'd rent it if I were you.

Dragon Quest VIII - 73 hours and I just got the first ending, I'll get back to this in a while and hopefully get the real ending eventually. Pretty fun though christ this game does at times remind me of the pitfalls of JRPGs, especially when it concerns plot. Highly recommend this one though. Much better than I thought it would be.

I also grabbed a DS Lite this week, along with New Super Mario Bros. The Lite is pretty sweet and New Super Mario Bros is great too, still not as sweet as Mario 3, but fun nevertheless, and the Multiplayer is friggen sweet. The DS needs a smash Bros BTW.

Well, I have given Yakuza a bit of a break mainly begause there is a time crisis like stage that makes me want to go down to Japan and punch this games director straight in the cock.

I am loving my DS though:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - This game looks and sounds amazing, and is full of Castlevania goodness. It almost as good as Symphony of the Night, in fact the weapons and abilities are actually a lot cooler and give you a bunch more options. The only issue is it is hard to top the castle from SotN, as it was simply the best designed area in any Metroidvania ever. Still well worth it.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Another gem from Konami, old school adventure with Anime trappings, is much better than it should be. It succeds so well because it never takes itself too seriously and has loads of personality, and who doesn't love southing OBJECTION! at a cantankerous witness.

Sonic Rush: Not too far into this one, but it is DAMN fast, probably the fastest Sonic ever, the first boss is pretty annoying though.

Ninja Gaiden Black - Well, after hearing about Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the PS3, I decided to finally pick up Black for my Xbox. It's funny considering that I never beat the original. Still, the update added some cool extra shit, and it was 20 bucks.

I had forgotten just how goddamn impressive this game is. It is far and away the best motherfucking action game that has come out this gen. Devil May Cry and God of War are fucking pansies compared to this game. Seriously.

My skills had grown rusty, but I'm getting back into the swing of things, and I'm just amazed at how deep the combat is, it truly rivals some fighting games out there. That and the fact that the 360 upsaced this bastard to 720p makes the game look just about as good as some next-gen titles. I think part of it has to do with Team Ninja's art style.

Still, this game is fucking sweet. If you have a 360+hard drive, or an Xbox, pick this bitch up if you haven't. There has yet to be an action game that is nearly this good.

Well I became interested in the series after seeing the movie, I'd played The Room and thought it was shit, and I'd played a bit of the first way back when, and I decided I'd give the series a second chance, I'm told that The Room was the weakest of the series and really had nothing to do with the other 3, so I decided to start from the beginning and work my way up.

emulators'dve solved both those problems, but as a console purist, i understand.

Not all of us have big fancy computers that can run anything more than WarCraft 3 at once, Nick. Mine chugs with my GBA emulator, Playstation would kill it, kill it dead.

Not all of us have big fancy computers that can run anything more than WarCraft 3 at once, Nick. Mine chugs with my GBA emulator, Playstation would kill it, kill it dead.

you gotta be mistaking me for sonny. did you read the PC specs thread? i aint doin so hot. Im not sure what the specs are for the PSX emu, but i know Jont's posted a low-requirement PC version of Silent Hill 1 a while back, as i recall...anyway, you finally found the original, so fuck alla that, just enjoy it man. Hopefully part 2 didnt spoil you, cause 1 was awesome in its day...scared the shit outta me in college.