Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Gaming Journal

bishopcruz

Gun

Ah I loved that game great story, awesome gameplay, shame I was able to beat it in only a day. (Seriously can SOMEBODY make a good game that is actually long?)

Anyhow Silent Hill came in the mail today. I played it until I got stuck (didn't take long) maaaaan that game fucks with your head, I have a mini anxiety attack every time that damn radio goes off. Good thing pistol ammo is plentiful at the moment.

Also helps me realize how good the movie captured the look and feel of the game.

I second the comments on Gun, tho i aint nearly finished it yet.

This week, when tests are done:

B000E991PC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V63759651_.jpg

Played the first 10 minutes or so. The story already has me really interested (lengthy intro, but its folkore on level of Gaiman's "Dream Hunters", i think), and gameplay looks like its gonna be all kinds of fun & creative too.

ps2kenshinjaphm9.jpg

Losifer's crazy! This game is really great so far (he's right that you gotta like the series, but who doesnt?)...faithful to the manga to a faul, with good animation and stills from the anime in between, exact voiceovers/soundtrack make this a no-brainer for fans: you dont really need to know all the dialouge anyway if you already read/watched it.

Great hack & slash, and it lets you pick either Kenshin, Sanouske or Saito! how badass is that?! this one and Berserk both need localization, bad.

ps2metalslug6japue6.jpg

(looks awesome but my copy didnt work, tragically... :sad: )

ps2kofxijap5mu.jpg

Completely on Los' say-so....havnet really gotten into a fighter in a while now, but im lookin forward to it. more to come.

ME0000628662_1.jpg

Samurai Spirits: Tenkaichi Kenkakuden (man, that's a bitch to remember) is the one i was shooting for, havent played this series since i was bit on arcades, but im hpoeful here too.

all this, with another on the way:

B000FZXHI2.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59002630_.jpg

Don & co hyped this one up, now im pretty excited too after readin more about it. Ive been off-and-on interested in finally gettin into the GTA sereis everyone else seems to adore; maybe this pseudo-political angle's the last push i needed to really give the engine a try, instead of, you know, just loading up GTA: SA and beating hookers for a half-hour. Anyway, cant wait to see how this one plays out.

i used to love worms, that's a fun-ass series.

Okami's gettin more play than Just Cause, so far....we'll see, maybe ill take more to it later. why to the charcters in these games not have much character? anyway, yakuza soon, but okami today.

• 2 weeks later...

Motherfucking laptop died, so have been away for a few days.

Dead or Alive 4 - God I love me my fighting games, and I've been playing this one online, finally got around to unlocking all of the characters and outfits. Great fighting engine, and great graphics, this game is freaking sweet. Then again, so is any game with Ryu Hayabusa.

DOOM - Holds up surprisingly well, a lot of fun, and fast friggen paced. It's also kinda fun playing through this without cheats on Ultra Violence, this game can be downright BRUTAL. Fuck the minions of hell though, I will persevere.

Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow - Kicass as I said before, great ending area, and an absolutely awesome alternate gameplay mode that unlocks after you beat the game. It's like castlevania III crossed with SoTN, and playing as ALucard again ROCKS!!

Sonic Rush Great Levels shitty boss fights, almost done, but am trying to get the last motherfucking chaos emerald. God I hate those bonus stages.

Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion I'm back, finishing up some quests I never completed.

Phantasy Star Universe Beta Test Beta is up for a few days on XBL, fun, but laggy, graphics aren't that impressive, but the art design is nice. The lag is HORRIBLE at this point though, I hope the severs get better before launch.

Geometry Wars I will break 1,000,000 points one day.

Phantasy Star Universe Beta Test Beta is up for a few days on XBL, fun, but laggy, graphics aren't that impressive, but the art design is nice. The lag is HORRIBLE at this point though, I hope the severs get better before launch.

He's not kidding about how horrible the lag is. So many cheap deaths cause of it.

you lose any equipment? and hey what do you make of it, newt? i cant remember if you played PSO tho, wonderin if its a big upgrade from that.

Didn't lose any equipment. The cheap death were due to the lag in the system. You hit the monster to the point he should be dead but it isn't. It would take time before it shows you did any kind of damage and till that happens it will keep on beating you even if it has no more hit points.

I own PSO

It's a major upgrade. You can do combos now. There's more but it's in beta test till next week.

I just don't get sporting games as a breed, but Gridiron & Soccer top the list easily for inane console gaming concepts for me. I understand the principle of something like say, Deep Bass Country Tub-Fucker Fishing Pro Live better than the driving motivation behind team sporting games proper.

Phantasy Star Universe: Wow, they fixed a lot of the early issues, and man this game rocks. I made it to level 18 and beat both of hte main bosses that were available in the beta. The combat is great, and the game is a blast. Voice chat FTW!

Dead or Alive 4 - Any hondonians have this one? I am looking to fight people online. Great fighting game.

Trauma Center - Possibly more frustrating than Ninja Gaiden.

Lumines - The PSP version as I wait for some money, still stuck around 400,000. Goddamnit.

B0009SQF0C.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38860815_.jpg

Honestly, i spent half my day playing this one.

Im not as big on the GTA/rockstart lineup as, say, Skeet. I give them their due for innovation, i just never got into them...the engine was groundbreaking, they look vast & fun, but when i played San Andres, no matter how many times, i just ended up beating on hookers till the cops came, i just didnt care about the plot or the main character at all. Same deal with Just Cause recently, sans the hookers.

That's not the case here, though i thought it woudl be. Metacritic gave it such high marks, i gave it some more time today, and....its just a really awesome game. Your character is a punk kid trying to stay alive in a boarding school, and there's politics between the preps, nerds, jocks, greasers etc. Fighting and then running before the precepts/teachers catch you, pranks, side-missions, classes that open up abilities, befriending the nerds by defending them from the jocks, getting the ho's to make out with me, all of it - its fun high school shit. Even listening to the conversations everyone're having is a trip, they captured the spirit really well here.

Overall, the gameplay's tight, with a lot to do but not so much you feel overwhelmed, once you learn the map a bit better (i still find myself purposely gettin busted for truancy when i cant find my classroom someimes :pinch: ) but once you have it down, its a lot of fun. I actually deleted a game off my HD Loader to make room for this one, cause the inital load is way too long straight off the disc for my liking. Anyway, Skeet and any Rockstar fans must check this one out.

B000FDDN2E.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643997_.jpg

Newt has great taste in games.

This one's just a lot of fun. I loved legos more than most kids growing up, but the prosepct of a game didnt excite me. The Star Wars franchise (especially the early trilogy) is great, but i dont catch wood over the prospect of yet another @#$%in star wars game like say Chief might. Yet combining these two worked out for a game with familiar characters and a lot of fun gameplay...again, there's a handful of SW games i slept on (Jedi Knight, etc) but i havnet enjoyed this franchise this much since the SNES, easily, and this is the best of the lot.

While the humor of the mute cutscenes is awesome (Ob-Wan's jedi mind trick in lego format was stellar), i think for me the stregth is level layout: lotsa shit to blow up, sure, but this is one of those titles i shouldve gotten bored of a few hours back, but i havnet: there's a lotta shit to collect, characters to get and all, and the impressive-looking overall length of the game doesnt daunt me either, cause again, the levels are fun.

Anyone know if part 1 was any good? did it feature ep 3?

still actively playing Okami where i can too, again its a great title. Phantasy Star Universe just came in today, so with that, Marvel Alliance ( :???: ) and FF XII soon, im set for the holidays.

My game of the week has been one of my favorites. Usually when I have a week where it seems I'm just spinning wheels and getting nowhere in life (just like this week has been with a completely fruitless job search with only four days before rent is due), I tend to go back to my favorites for some good memories.

Alas, as a PC gamer with a broken gaming PC, I had to head to the Xbox version of Half-Life 2 to get some good combine killing time in. Still one of my favorites out of all the "newer" games that have come out lately (even though it's almost 2 years old now, sheesh).

Good times, good times.

HOLD IT!!!

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I got around to finally finishing this game off, and it has become one of my favorites releases in YEARS. This game has so much heart that it is infectiously fun. The concept is that you are a defense attorney that ends up having to defend clients who have the odds stacked against them. In Japan the series is knows as Gyakuten Saiban, or Turnabout/Comeback Court. This isn't a realistic legal sim, but an adventure game in the Japanese style that just plain works. It's amazing how much you end up caring for these characters especially considering how absurd the whole premise of the game is. Still, searching for clues, analyzing evidence, and finding contradictions in witness testimony requires some thinking, but it is never boring.

There is just something great about turning a sleazy witnesses testimony back on them. The game is unapologetically melodramatic and that is why it works so well. This game, combinesd with New Super Mario, Castlevania and Trauma center make the DS well worth it. Hopefully these digital comic games will catch on and we'll finally get a port of Policenauts.

Hey, I just bought a DS this week. Mostly 'cause I was round MyLeakyBucket's city pad (what a namedropping whore I am) and he showed me his (and don't start, you know I mean a DS). So I went out and bought one, as did my lady friend, snagging Mario Kart and new Mario Bros in the process. I picked up a cheap copy of the new Castlevania off eBay, and I'm a happy soul.

Otherwise, I dip into World of Warcraft quite regularly. Anyone here for the online roleplaying games? I wasn't sure it'd be for me but here I am, one year on, having a blast.