Hondo's Bar

Gaming Blargh/random bits

bishopcruz

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am1V9.jpg

HAha, WAT? They've been charging those 8 people money to play this every month this whole time?

Here was my experience with my free trial of Vanguard (which actually looked kinda cool on paper): I made a cat dude. I picked a somewhat vague class. I did a handful of bland fetch starting quests.

I tried to jump over a rock and got stuck behind it. FOREVER. I logged off, logged back on. Still stuck behind rock. I think that rock may have been one of the later encounters in the game, there was no way I could defeat it solo.

Then I deleted it forever.

Glassdoor.com Confessionals Apparently the game industry isn't so fun.

'cept for at Valve

Valve

Company Overview

Average Rating: 5.0 ("Very Satisfied")

"possibly the best game company to work for," written by a current Valve employee. August 18, 2008.

Pros – good quality of life, and being surrounded by creative people. there are many reasons to work at valve. the standards are pretty high, but they push you and really make you strive for the newest, best thing. there is no formal management structure, and responsibility is given on a competence level or if one asks for it. there is lots of room to try new things, so you feel like you are learning all the time. i have been at valve for many years and found it to be extremely rewarding, both in a business sense and personal one.

Cons – very competitive internally (high standards).

Advice to Senior Management – more insight into what's happening at the company, future plans.

HAha, WAT? They've been charging those 8 people money to play this every month this whole time?

Here was my experience with my free trial of Vanguard (which actually looked kinda cool on paper): I made a cat dude. I picked a somewhat vague class. I did a handful of bland fetch starting quests.

I tried to jump over a rock and got stuck behind it. FOREVER. I logged off, logged back on. Still stuck behind rock. I think that rock may have been one of the later encounters in the game, there was no way I could defeat it solo.

Then I deleted it forever.

Vangaurd is one of those MMO's that I wish whatever happened to fuck it up never happened. I got it Day 1, and I so wanted to love it, but it was just buggy to the point of unplayable, shit like what happened to you happened to everyone, OFTEN. That they STILL haven't fixed that shit after a Dev switch and everything is beyond belief (though to be "fair" it is running on a heavily modified Unreal 1!! engine, but that is no excuse). But I really wanted Vanguard to succeed and be the EQ sequel the world was MEANT to have. I dug the whole card/coversation aspect to. Never got into crafting because at first it was flat out broken, and then it just seemed too overly complicated for it's own good.

But onto the real reason I am posting....The makers of Arma 1 & 2 (Bohemia Interactive) are coming out with a new game titled "Carrier Command: Gaea Mission." Suposedly it's based on some old 80's game no one has ever heard of, but here is a nice little preview...

http://youtu.be/TxJA8cPWTkQ

I think I just came a little....

Talking about System Shock 2 made me want to play it again. After a little looking around I came across a site dedicated to System Shock and SS2 with a couple of nice little texture upgrade packs. They also have an install tool so you don't have to worry about getting a nocd crack or anything.

Just grab an iso, copy over a folder, install the install tool and you are ready to go. Then just put the texture pack in the mods folder and it couldn't be easier. Even running it on Vista or Win 7 at 720p it looks pretty good. More than playable, and it is a true classic. If you like shooters with psionic powers, rpg-lite elements and a great story you should definately try it out. Plus it is easy to use console commands to give yourself extra points to spend if you so choose.

p.s. This is one of those games to play in the dark with the sound turned up.

axels - your wii is hacked, yeah? there's a channel speicfically for playing import/burned GC games, i play my imports there. that would work for your purposes here. honestly though..im gonna hold off on a replay at this point. im currently doing Phantom Hourglass on DS in the same world, and while maybe not an HD one sadly, i bet you anything that'll be one of the GC games that comes to the WU's VC.

Mortii - last time i tried running SS2 & modding it it went to shit & wouldnt load. you got any specific links for said texture packs & other recommended mods?

Start with an .ISO of System Shock 2 (or if you have the CD...) copy the folder "SHOCK" to any dir you want. Go to this link and grab the tool file

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=392.0

Run it. After it does its thing I would just run the game and see if it works for you. If it does then go to this link

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22.0

and get the file. If you just want to use this mod and no other unpack this file into the "DataPermanentMods" folder and let it rewrite everything and then you will be able to play the game with some updated textures.

• Upvote 1