Hondo's Bar

The Avengers

I've heard Ruffalo was the best performance and that people are saying that Marvel should, despite previous failed attempts, try again for a Hulk film with Ruffalo. That sound about right to you, 2t?

I think that they should fuck all the rest of the noise and just concentrate on Avengers flicks. In other news my lease is up in June and I'm at a loose end and always wanted to be a smoothie slinger.

:welcome: Welcome the fuck back man, what you been up to?

I thought she was legal.

Cosigned on 2t's post. So fucking good.

Can I spoil that there's nothing after the credits? It'll actually save you five minutes of sitting through a really shitty Soundgarden song. The sequence comes pretty soon in (unless it's different from the U.S. version like the fucking title....).

Yer high bro. The post-credit bit(which rolls after the stylised credits but before the soundgarden-ey bit) was fucking insane. I've seen no less then 3 people in this thread call it and nothing does it justice.

Oh, and Mark Ruffalo did decently but this Hulk was by far the best seen yet. Some angles you think you're looking at a Strange Tales issue.

It came out today in Ireland but tickets are booked for Saturday. I'd so go see it today seeing as i have an unlimited annual ticket if I didn't have a girlfriend who wants to be all down with the Marvel-verse.

It's nuts though. Only day 1 and Facebook is ablaze with "Happy Avengers Day!" and such. The level of fervour is something else. I'm calling it now: top 10 highest grossing films of all time and biggest opening weekend to date or at least in the last ten years.

Damn, HP8 was that big? I remember when Spidey held the title, and wasn't that at like $129 million or something? Anyway, if Hunger Games opens to $155mil then I'd say Avengers should be able to swing that kind of business. I know I'm planning on seeing it twice: regular ol' version on opening night then later in IMAX 3D.

"The Avengers" Ticket Pre-Sales Surpass All Previous Marvel Films Combined

According to the website, "The Avengers" is selling 3,995 percent more tickets than 2011's "Captain America: The First Avenger," 1,034 percent more than 2011's "Thor," 114 percent more than 2010's "Iron Man 2," and 1,406 percent more than 2008's "Iron Man." It's unclear why 2008's "The Incredible Hulk" isn't part of the tally; it's the least successful of the Marvel Studios films, so its conclusion might not make much difference anyway.

That's a bit of a bugbear for me. I enjoyed Incredible Hulk. I'd rate it better than Thor to be honest, which is my least favourite of all the Marvel Studios films. Still damn good though, don't get me wrong.

If it gets the biggest opening in the last ten years, it will easily be the biggest opening of all time, which would be Harry Potter 8, $169M.

Hmm when you put it like that it might struggle to top HP. It'll come very, very close though. Although, the HP series went careening spectacularly off the rails* in the last two or three films so The Avengers with its combination of hype and alleged quality might surpass it yet.

*Nicer way of saying they were unadulterated dogshit.

Edited by crimsonfire

Harry Potter 8 was the highest-grossing non-Cameron films of all time, worldwide. As for it careening spectacularly off the rails at the end, audiences didn't seem to think so. I think there are plenty of criticisms to level at Harry Potter 4-6, but the two parts of Deathly Hallows, particularly Part 2, were the best of the series. Will Avengers crack the Top 20? No doubt. It seems obvious that it could beat Iron Man 2, and adjusted for inflation, that would put it no lower than #7. I'd say it can crack the Top 3 for sure. #1 is not a sure thing though.

Edited by Reverend Jax

You definitely don't want to see the Hulk aroused.

It was really sensual, because every time Banner's heart rate started to rise, Stark just lit some scented candles and pulled out some massage oils and rubbed his back until he calmed down. It was totally out of place in the movie.

• Upvote 1

Jay, was it 3D or IMAX 3D you saw it in? I really want to see it on the largest screen possible, and the only choice, stateside at least, for IMAX is in IMAX 3D. If IMAX 3D can make an average action film like Transformers3 seem spectacular then I'm anticipating great things for that experience w/ Avengers.