Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Persepolis is the best, most accurate comic book adaptation ever made. Hands down.

For accuracy, it's in the running with American Splendor, Watchmen and Sin City. It's a tough call as to who wins that. As for being the best...there's a few really great adaptations that are difficult to compare it to, but I'd have to say I agree with you. I've seen Persepolis probably a dozen times and it's a delight every time.

While The Hangover 2 is hardly legendary I don't really get the "its the same movie" complaints. Any time the movie makes reference to its predecessor it does so in a way that says "yes, we're aware we did this last time." They even shot any similar scenes in the exact same way as in the first movie just to say "hey, it's the same, that's the joke!" But honestly most of the jokes are things that didn't appear in the first movie, just with similar lead-ins. Yes, they stole another animal just like the tiger, but the tiger wasn't a cigarette smoking drug dealer. Yes, they kidnapped somebody again, but this time it was an old monk. A lot of the jokes in The Hangover 2 are about subverting what expectations you have based on seeing the first one, it also goes to some fairly dark places which I appreciated as well. It's not as funny, and I didn't expect it to be as half of what made the first one so awesomely hilarious was because we went in expecting some more Judd Apatow bullshit and got a very mean-spirited different kind of movie, this time we weren't expecting dick jokes and low-level sexism so they cranked up the mean-spirited jokes and gave us more of what we want. I wasn't in tears from laughing so hard this time, but I still laughed out loud at a lot of jokes, even ones I'd seen spoiled in the trailer like Stu's tattoo and the monkey. As a comedy it's still extremely viable and better than most, that being said I just don't think there's anywhere this franchise can go from here. Still, they made what was probably the best movie they could make as a sequel to the Hangover and I appreciate that effort moer than anything.

They have however confirmed another sequel..

Source or it didn't happen. (I do find that highly plausible though)

I really don't see how they'll do that, though a different idea with the same characters could work conceivably. But who knows.

6493_10278797319.jpg

POTC: On Stranger Tides

Total meh. Ms. H actually fell asleep during the film. . . twice.

2469_487252863.jpg

Hangover 2

I agree w/ Aarty. There were soem genuine laughs, but they tried too hard to recreate the first film. Although, there is 10x more male frontal nudity than in the last film, so this explains why Baytor is defending it so stridently. :2T:

Source or it didn't happen. (I do find that highly plausible though)

I really don't see how they'll do that, though a different idea with the same characters could work conceivably. But who knows.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/todd_phillips_says_a_hangover_part_3_is_being_planned_10_more_things#

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-todd-phillips-20110522,0,7199849.story?page=2

Edited by the division of joy

• 2 weeks later...

Super-8-high-res.gif

Saw a free screener tuesday night.

Hated it.

Very much in the vein of movies like Goonies, Stand by Me, The Explorers, Monster Squad, Flight of the Navigator etc, etc, etc which was totally the intent, and succeeded to an extent. The young actors all did a really great job, the film captured the feel of the era and touched on many of the staples of the aforementioned films.

But god did it DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG. Also, I got a lot of mixed imagery/messages from the film that left a bad taste with me.

It was one of those films where I wasn't sure how I felt about it while watching it and shortly after, and upon further reflection like it less and less.

(Here's to hoping First Class gets another week on top of the box-office!)

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Saw SUPER 8 today and loved it!

Spacecowboy was right it had a Goonies feel in that it's about a group of junior high kids that have an adventurous time, but they're very different films. SUPER 8isn't as lighthearted as The Goonies, but it's got way more intense action and drama, and of course MUCH better FX.

What did you think of this one? I was a bit disappointed in it seeing how it got pretty good reviews.

I loved Easy A...mainly because the family was so freakin wacked! They were worth the watch alone...and seriously my favorite part is when she rounds on that bitch in the movie and straight up calls her a "Twat"!

Ah, a perfect avenue to kickstart my smalltime reviewing process.

The last film I watched was the Johnny Depp musical horror romp Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Now I have to say that this film is a sheer source of terror and makes the cut among musical movies. Johnny Depp plays the titular character who opens a Barber Shop and kills the folks who just don't sing to his tune. The movie is well made by resident lunatic Tim Burton.

tim_burton_372x495.jpg

Looks like this guy could use a visit to Mr. Todd!

planetoftheapesdvdcover.jpg

But not for his hair!

I say that this film is a cut above the rest!

• Upvote 1

black-death-movie.jpg

Redboxed this one. I'm a sucker for historical pieces like this (medieval times, during the Black Plague)... but even more so for zombies! Reading the description I was lead to believe there would be zombies, but alas... their wasn't :( Still, the movie was pretty awesome and has its fair share of gore and message. I highly recommend it!