Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Damn man that's unfair. It wasn't that bad. In fact it wasn't bad at all, it was just good, which I guess is more disappointing considering the subject matter of the episode.

Rick's and the Governor's meeting didn't have the oomf that it should've, but there have been worse episodes. Lori crashing a car with nobody on the road rings a bell

It wasn't that bad.

Yes. Yes, it was.

Rick's and the Governor's meeting didn't have the oomf that it should've, but there have been worse episodes. Lori crashing a car with nobody on the road rings a bell

No. No there haven't.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
thpoilerth

I came in to post about being delighted at three great episodes in a row,the feeling of genuine tension through this whole episode had me on the edge of my seat. The fact that they've departed so much from the comics and that there are so many non comic characters in play, it's very hard to predict where they're gonna go with it. We'll agree to disagree then Haku.

Edited by alive she cried

There were lots of cool moments too

between expanding Merle's character a bit, him being genuinely worried about Darryl. Glenn and Maggie's reconciliation (SEXXX). And My favorite bit, the two sides cutting up a bit, getting to know each other. Not to mention Andrea finally... FINALLY waking the fuck up.

Edited by axel_napalm

Yeah, I don't know exactly what rubbed Haku the wrong way so much about this episode, because I really enjoyed it.

I was wasn't surprised at all when the Governor revealed to Milton that he was lying, but I was genuinely surprised when Rick lied to the group, and I thought it was a great counterpoint on how different kinds of leaders lie to their followers for different reasons. I also liked how while Rick and the Governor spoke, Daryl and Martinez did a little henchman bonding and Herschel and Milton had their own little pow wow, leaving Andrea to be the odd woman out, which also had its own thematic significance. She really is caught between these two communities, and it is untenable. The preview of next week's episode has me excited for what this week's episode set up, particularly with Andrea and Milton.

Edited by Reverend Jax
Typos

Yeah, I don't know exactly what rubbed Haku the wrong way so much about this episode, because I really enjoyed it.

Terrible, terrible writing. At least as far as characters...

1. The premise of the Gov. & Rick's "sit down" was flawed and just stupid. It was a writer's situation, and not one true to the characters' situation. Based on what we've seen of the Gov. & Rick thus far there was just so muchin this episode that goes against how they've both acted in the past. Example, Rick is no so callous and badass he leaves a hiker twice on the road in E12 to die and then he doesn't even try killing the Gov., the man who is the number one threat to his family, when he has the chance?

2. If the Gov.'s master plan was to get Michonne and Rick dead in one fell swoop then why not just ask for her to be at the initial meet? Or why not send a group in at night to "walker bomb" the second fence?

3. Merle tries to kill Glenn, again, and everybody is apparently cool w/ it.

4. Rick realizes the Gov. is full of shit w/ his "peace terms" but still has to be "talked out of" going along with it?

5. Andrea is still acting like an idiot for no reason. Oh, wait, there is a reason--o she can go back to Woodbury next episode and THEN want to return to the prison.

6. Carl only gets one line.

I found it to be just a really shit episode. Total let down.

More good stuff. I was thinking before that the Governor was definitely going to die at the end of this season. Now I feel like they could keep him on into the next season.

And before you say anything, Eamonn, there was nothing in that above post that needed to be put in spoiler tags.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Yes I loved it.

I know there's been alot of Andrea bashing, especially since most of us are familiar with her awesome comic counterpart, but I was really rooting for her this episode. Looks like she's gonna get the Michonne treatment in that torture room. Great suspense here too. One of the most intense things I've seen on tv.

Also I'm getting excited to see Tyreese shine (not to mention we finally know that girl is his sister. At least it took me this long to figure it out). I really hope he can get in with the other group soon.

And Milton has become officially likable, i.e. he is dead.

speaking of, is it going head to head with game of thrones? that's pretty crazy.

The season 3 finale of TWD will air on the same day at the same time as the season 3 premiere of GoT. After that, GoT will be up against Mad Men until the season of GoT ends. And after Mad Men's season ends, the final 8 episode of Breaking Bad start.

Y'should watch the wire....

But eh, I'm not digging the show as much as other people seem to. it has good moments, but I don't look forward to it as much as I do other hows at all. And I figure that's as good a gauge as any for my judgements. I genuinely cannot wait for GOT to start again so i can watch it weekly, but I could easily not watch the next few eps of TWD. :sad:

I'm just not understanding the praise being thrown around w/ the last two episodes. They were both sub-par (for different reasons) compared to the rest of this season. Although, S3E13 I could almost say I hated whereas S3E14 I just found disappointing and predictable.

The next episode is giving me hope though. It's written by the new showrunner, Scott Gimple, who's the same guy that wrote "Clear," which is one of my favorite episodes this season and possibly of the entire series.

It's titled "This Sorrowful Life," so I hold out little hope for that stupid, stupid woman strapped to barber chair from hell. WTF is he oging to do with that funnel? R. Kelly a bitch?

Seriously though, I hate how stupid they made Andrea out to be this season. Just so very, very stupid.

Later, dudes. I'm taking my four inch blade and running in to the zombie apocalypse to tell Rick shit he really already likely knows. TTYL! *derp*

I love running. Why would I take a truck? *derp-derp*

Stupid.

GOT > TWD yo!

I like both shows, but I agree w/ you. GOT is by far the superior show. I finished re-watching S2 on blu-ray last night

It's titled "This Sorrowful Life," so I hold out little hope for that stupid, stupid woman strapped to barber chair from hell. WTF is he oging to do with that funnel? R. Kelly a bitch?

Seriously though, I hate how stupid they made Andrea out to be this season. Just so very, very stupid.

Later, dudes. I'm taking my four inch blade and running in to the zombie apocalypse to tell Rick shit he really already likely knows. TTYL! *derp*

I love running. Why would I take a truck? *derp-derp*

Stupid.

First of all, how was she supposed to take a truck on of Woodbury. She would need someone to open the gate and cooperate with her. She barely got Tyrese to let her leave. Secondly, a lot of what you seem to think is Andrea's stupidity is just standard dramatic irony.

dramatic irony

n.

The dramatic effect achieved by leading an audience to understand an incongruity between a situation and the accompanying speeches, while the characters in the play remain unaware of the incongruity.

As an audience member, you are privy to information that the character is not. You seem to not be able to appreciate that all the decisions she has made this season are relatively, if not completely reasonable, given her circumstances and the information she has had access to. You and I know the Governor is a villain from before he is introduced, but that is not an obvious conclusion for a character in the setting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

First of all, how was she supposed to take a truck on of Woodbury. She would need someone to open the gate and cooperate with her. She barely got Tyrese to let her leave. Secondly, a lot of what you seem to think is Andrea's stupidity is just standard dramatic irony.

As an audience member, you are privy to information that the character is not. You seem to not be able to appreciate that all the decisions she has made this season are relatively, if not completely reasonable, given her circumstances and the information she has had access to. You and I know the Governor is a villain from before he is introduced, but that is not an obvious conclusion for a character in the setting.

Did that post really just happen or am I hallucinating from spending too many hours at work and too few asleep‽‽‽

Here's a S4 recap emphasizing how I see Andrea's poor yet understandable choices in the season deteriorating in to a full on decent in to a wasteland of contrived, stupidly stupid stupidity awash in stupidness.

First of all, you skipped the part where she jumped the fence out of Woodbury in to the zombie waste land with nothing more than a paring knife for protection. That's just fucking stupid. Way more stupid than even TV Andrea would've been. It was yet another "writer's moment" where a character behaves "out of character" in order to force a dramatic situation. That's contrived drama, something this show is usually good at avoiding.

Second, if you think back on it a bit (or maybe for you it'd require serious thought) you'll hopefully recall a golden opportunity for Andrea to have acquired a vehicle in act three of the episode. This is the instance I was referring to earlier and not her initial "escape." However, instead of her taking the truck, the writers again make Andrea out to be an idiot and she continues to run to the prison instead. Thus leaving the opportunity to have that predictably contrived scene where she almost gets Rick's attention. I will admit though, that was a nice character beat for Rick in that scene. That moment where he thinks he saw her then silently shakes it off and gets mad at himself for "seeing shit" again. I could define "situational irony" here for you, but you've obviously got access to some sort of adj. + irony dictionary online, so I'll take it you're all good there.

And lastly, as for me being unable to "appreciate that all the decisions [Andrea] has made this season are relatively, if not completely reasonable, given her circumstances and the information she has had access to," I find that funny.You seem to be unable to appreciate the events of the season as they've unfolded. Shall I condescendingly list the definition of chronological order for you here, Eduardo? I'll just skip right to examples for you and chronologically list Andrea's decent in to Simple Jack.

S4E1-Michonne's instincts saved Andrea's ass all winter, keeping them both alive. Andrea is all, "Yeah, Michonne!"

S4E3-Michonne's instincts tell her there's something "off" about Woodbury, but it's totally understandable Andrea wanting to believe her eyes and not Michonne's instincts. Andrea is all, "Chill, Michonne!"

S4E4-Michonne suspects foul play with the Natl. Guard soldiers and tells Andrea she has alarm bells going off like crazy about this place. Let's keep going for the coast. Andrea is hearing, but she ain't seeing or believing. After eight months living day to day she is desperate for normalcy. A poor choice yet understandable given the circumstances. Andrea is all, "Fuck off, Michonne!"

S4E5-Michonne reluctantly leaves Andrea behind where Andrea witnesses the toothless biter fights between Merle and Martinez. Andrea is immediately disgusted and chide's the Gov/ who offers up an excuse as using it as a morale booster. Andrea is all, "Michonne who?"

S4E6-A good night's sleep cures Andrea of her doubts about the Gov. and his zombie fights. Oh, and Milton is now her BFF in experimenting on zombies. WTF? She fools herself in to believing there was no way Michonne was right, and watching that racist scumbag Merle use the undead as entertainment is fun--foreshadowing the onslaught of stupid that is coming for her, but it's all stil arguably understandable decisions. Andrea is all, "Me so horny! derp"

S4E7-Experimenting on zombies w/ her new BFF Milton her feel useful even though she knows it's pointless. An arguably relatively understandable level of stupidity. Andrea is all, "Hold me daddy, Governor, Phillip."

S4E8-Andrea walks in on the whole Penny walker head aquarium room of crazy as the Governor weeps over his zombie daughter's remains. She sees Michonne was right all along but rather than thank her friend for coming back for her, she tells Michonne to fuck back off to wherever she came from and consoles the crazy one-eyed guy cradling a zombie. The Governor tries to Thunderdome the Dixon brothers. Andrea is all, "I know Robert Downey Jr. said you never go full retard, but I'm gonna do it anyway!"

And from here on out Andrea is eyes wide open on the Governor. She has zero excuses for her bad choices being "reasonable." They're just stupid.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
stupid

301579_320712084717827_1233990966_n.jpg

Still, I'm with Jax. I feel for Andrea and the horrors of the chair that await her. When she finally figured out/made up her mind that the Governor was wrong, I think she did the right thing. There were clues to people living in a normal world that he was messed up, but a big point to the whole story of Walking Dead is that EVERYONE is disturbed. The way the world is (double negative warning) you can't not be.

• Upvote 1

I'm so over the Andrea hating. She isn't nearly as cool as she is in the books, but she's is becoming a better character in my opinion.

Prediction time though?

Either the Governor captures Milton and makes him watch as he tortures Andrea, or Milton rescues Andres before getting himself killed in the process.