Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Season 5, Episode 8 - Coda

That title really makes more sense now. Those sneaky bastich writers. Hope y'all stuck around for that post credit scene.

I feel like Beth really didn't "get it" though. If she had she would've stabbed Dawn in the throat. Sad Daryl is the saddest. Maggie's reaction was also hard to watch. Conversely, Lamson getting hit by Rick's car wasn't though. I need a .gif of that.

yeah, Rick is like in the negative zone of fucks given at this point

beth was starting to be developed so i shoulda seen that coming - next half of the season is clearly leading to the "whole new world" town i figure, yeah?

also Talking Dead with Key & Kirkman was fun

Fucking facebooks spoiled the ending of this, but it still was hard to swallow when it happened. I love these bite sized villain arcs instead of a whole season of Governors, which sucks because he was written to be very bite sized and they stretched that out way too much.

also

z7G4keQ.jpg

Edited by Axels

• 2 months later...

S5E9

Well, damn.

bye2.gif

It's funny because during the opening I was like, "What's with this Terrence Malick bullshit?" Then during Talking Dead the director admitted to copping Malick's style. The flashes did all tie together fairly coherently in the end though. And I have to say I dug the stylistic choice more so by the end of the episode. We've had so many "main characters" die in this series it was nice to have the edit of the show reflect Tyrese's state of mind in those last minutes. Not sure why they didn't put in the woman Carol killed back during the "prison virus" season that Tyrese had a crush on (Karen?) during his fever dreams. Maybe she wasn't as important to him as he though or maybe the actress wasn't available. Either way, I found it a bit odd for Tyrese as a character that some of those people would show up in his mind in his fevered state and not his only love interest for the entire series. :/

Noah straight up stabbing his little brother with a model airplane though. That's a zombie kill of the week for sure.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
zkotw

Mixed feelings on this Ep

Normally I'm right on board with changes to the series from the books, and given that Tyreese kept his head during the Governor Saga I knew his death would have to be drastically different, but man it felt cheap. His character wasn't nearly as strong as it was in the books, but I just feel like he deserved better. Definitely unexpected for sure.

Plus I'd say this episode had one of the better scares of the series with that close encounter with the zombie in the bedroom. Very intense stuff.

Also, did anyone else cringe/see a flash forward when Glenn picked up Lucille that bat?

Edited by Axels

Also, did anyone else cringe/see a flash forward when Glenn picked up Lucille that bat?

Yuuuup.

That felt like a definite "Easter egg" for the comic fans. And it's pretty clear we're leading up to Negan's bunch at this point. Even if Negan's group isn't the one's that fucked up Terminus and Noah's neighborhood, we're being left little reminders as to just how fucked up and dangerous people are in the zombpocalypse, so when Negan and Lucille do inevitably show up it's more believable.

Comic spoilers

S5E9 Well, damn.

Not sure why they didn't put in the woman Carol killed back during the "prison virus" season that Tyrese had a crush on (Karen?) during his fever dreams. Maybe she wasn't as important to him as he though or maybe the actress wasn't available. Either way, I found it a bit odd for Tyrese as a character that some of those people would show up in his mind in his fevered state and not his only love interest for the entire series. :/ Noah straight up stabbing his little brother with a model airplane though. That's a zombie kill of the week for sure.

The Governor did chastise him for forgiving the person that killed the woman he loved. So there was reference to her, but yeah, she really should have appeared.

Normally I'm right on board with changes to the series from the books, and given that Tyreese kept his head during the Governor Saga I knew his death would have to be drastically different, but man it felt cheap. His character wasn't nearly as strong as it was in the books, but I just feel like he deserved better. Definitely unexpected for sure. Plus I'd say this episode had one of the better scares of the series with that close encounter with the zombie in the bedroom. Very intense stuff. Also, did anyone else cringe/see a flash forward when Glenn picked up Lucille that bat?

I thought it was an excellent episode, really strong restart. I was thinking the same thing with the walker attack, the sound of his snapping teeth really added to the intensity of that scene. I get what you're saying about Tyrese being weaker in the show compared to the comics, but Daryll is Tyrese, so tv Tyrese was kind of a whole new character.

• 4 weeks later...

S4E13

This was an intense episode.

Theories on who is carving the "M" or "W" in to the walkers' foreheads? What was Negan's gang called in the comics? Maybe it's Morgan?

Buttons' cameo was sad. Carol and Rick are on the train to CuckooTown. That was some damn fine acting and directing where Carol confronted the cookie loving kid because I felt that little kid's terror. I mean, fuckin' hell, Carol. Damn.

And was it just me or is Abraham kinda making a play for Michonne a lil' bit, lil' bit?

Also, WTF was up with that ending? That song then Rick petting the wall with the walker outside it was so off-putting. Can we expect Rick to get a call from Laurie on the phone next episode?

Daryls whole interaction with Aaron was great though. I like that he's finally getting a little taste of happiness.

I can't believe it took three episodes of Alexandria to get us back in here talking. We really need to bump Hondo's out of it's current slump.

Back on topic, I'm liking the new characters so far. They're doing interesting things with the characters that aren't in comics Alexandria (Carol, Daryll, Sasha). Carol is an intense psycho bitch and Sasha seems to be a combination of Michonne and Andrea. Rick pining for the outside was pretty creepy as well.

Well that was fucking intense

I thought we established a Ricktatorship wasn't the way to go! Also I think I said it before, but TV Michonne > Comic Michonne

In general I think I agree with you that "TV Michonne > Comic Michonne." However, if that's just in reference to the final few seconds of the episode then that's what I thought until someone on another board reminded me that shit went down damn near exactly like the comic...

FKqgSUb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Get his gun.

Comic spoilers

I enjoyed the episode, but it kind of felt a bit more mid season finale for me. Also, what do we think of ninja zen Morgan? Kind of feel as if his badassery is slightly forced. I'm not totally against it, just not sure. Especially if we get ninja Jesus next season as well. Between Morgan, Jesus (if he's introduced), Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Abraham and Carol they're kind of weighed down by badasses.

Comic spoilers

I enjoyed the episode, but it kind of felt a bit more mid season finale for me. Also, what do we think of ninja zen Morgan? Kind of feel as if his badassery is slightly forced. I'm not totally against it, just not sure. Especially if we get ninja Jesus next season as well. Between Morgan, Jesus (if he's introduced), Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Abraham and Carol they're kind of weighed down by badasses.

Agreed, it felt like more of a mid-season finale at best. For 90 minutes, it all felt very meh. Especially compared to the previous two episodes.

I re-watched the previous two Morgan episodes (S1E1 & S3E12) and based off what the actor said on Talking Dead I think we'll get a Morgan flashback episode next season--or at least we should--to explain his "transformation." But it's also interesting to note that the S3 episode "Clear" was when Michonne became an "official member" of the group after getting Carl's approval. I kinda hope this is a sign the Morgan/Michonne romance from the comics will happen in the series. You know she's got to be thirsty by this point. Him too--zen or not.

• 2 weeks later...