Hondo's Bar

Movie News

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

American Dreamz - A concept so rediculous, this movie might just work. Plus I love Mandy Moore in comedy ever since Saved!

V For Vendetta Trailer 2 - More of what made the first trailer look hot. Not sure how Alan Moore fans feel about this, but not judging it as an adaptation, it looks to be killer.

Poseidon - Remake of The Poseidon Adventure, seems to have no personality to it.

The Da Vinci Code Full Trailer - as one of the seven people left who hasn't read the book, I can't say the trailer is thrilling me, but I'll assume there's something there I'm not seeing.

Hoot - Adapted from Carl Hiaasen's (The same Carl Hiaasen famous for dark twisted books like Striptease) Children's Novel, and made by the same people that adapted Holes, the best live action Children's movie in like the past ten years. I'll definitely watch this one.

Confetti - If there's a single Genre in Hollywood that doesn't put out enough movies, it's the Mockumentary, and for years, it's been just Christopher Guest making them, this is good news in my book.

The Shaggy Dog - I can't imagine a way this movie wouldn't be a disaster.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

The Mission Impossible movies thus far have both been relatively decent actioners, the trailer for the 3rd one's out and looks good. It's being written and directed by JJ Abrams (creator of Lost and Alias), Philip Seymour Hoffman plays the villain and Simon Pegg, Billy Crudup and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers round out the cast. Plus there's bound to be lots of explosions and people being kicked in the face!

Mission Impossible 3 trailer

Dirty - Looks good. Finally, Cuba Gooding Jr doing something with more substance than Snow Dogs.

Flight 93 - This looks to me like shameless expliotation, like some fuckign producer thought 'exactly how many years before I can turn 9/11 into an emotional moneymaker without seeming tasteless. Ugh.

Longer Trailer for Open Season - Looks funny, but looks like CGI films have gone form Pixar/Shrek caliber to mediocre.

She's The Man - Amanda Bynes movie that looks pretty funny. Gender Pretender movie that don't involve Rob Schnieder are hard to make not funny, but this one looks to have a love octogon or something. Can't go wrong.

I loved King Kong, I thought it was great fun and pretty damned tragic by the end of it. The problem is that there doesn't really exist a movie that is deserving of like 200 million dollars worth of advertising and hype. So no, it wasn't the second coming, but it was one fo the year's best IMO.

Oooo that's great. It's kinda unfortunate that a trailer for a Kevin Smith film contains basically no dialogue, but it's still a cool teaser nonetheless. Smith certainly renigged on that promise of delivering a film without cameos, didn't he? Fuck it, Rosario Dawson dances, I am there.

Is it just me or is Mewes finally looking too old for the Jay role?

Edited by Silent Bob

I agree with Jax about Flight 93, it feels like shameless exploitation and I do think it's still too soon to be making dramatizations about 9/11. Stories that discuss the event and its emotional effect like 25th Hour or The Guys I have no problem with, but movies that portray the actual events in the way Pearl Harbor portrayed World War II, I don't think we need that yet. But apparently producers disagree and this is, in fact, the first of two movies coming out this year (Oliver Stone's tentatively titled September with Nic Cage is set for an August release). That said, if movies are going to be made about this - and obviously they are - I kinda like the approach that Greengrass looks to be taking with it. The cast doesn't have a single recognizeable actor in it, the camer-work (from the single shot of it in the trailer, and Greengrass's record) looks to be naturalistic and matter-of-fact, and if one can get past the cynicism it automatically ellicites the trailer is surprisingly chilling. If films must and will be made about this event, I'm glad they're using this realistic approach instead of a high-glossy big budget production.

I agree with Jax about Flight 93, it feels like shameless exploitation and I do think it's still too soon to be making dramatizations about 9/11. Stories that discuss the event and its emotional effect like 25th Hour or The Guys I have no problem with, but movies that portray the actual events in the way Pearl Harbor portrayed World War II, I don't think we need that yet. But apparently producers disagree and this is, in fact, the first of two movies coming out this year (Oliver Stone's tentatively titled September with Nic Cage is set for an August release). That said, if movies are going to be made about this - and obviously they are - I kinda like the approach that Greengrass looks to be taking with it. The cast doesn't have a single recognizeable actor in it, the camer-work (from the single shot of it in the trailer, and Greengrass's record) looks to be naturalistic and matter-of-fact, and if one can get past the cynicism it automatically ellicites the trailer is surprisingly chilling. If films must and will be made about this event, I'm glad they're using this realistic approach instead of a high-glossy big budget production.

Well, since it's basically impossible to make a movie that portrays 40 characters with equal importance, how do you decide who the important characters are? And aren't the events that happened on flight 93 (and correct me if I'm wrong) still too unknown to base a movie on it without basicly just making most of it up.

Well, except for a very very brief audible recordings from the cockpits and 1 short cell phone call describing the subjects being armed with box cutters.... noone knows shit.... and never will. So, most of it is up for grabs on 'how they think it went down'. I mean, you can pretty much generalize it how the 'feel' was on board but as far as what actually took place, who stood up to them, who didnt, how where they being corraled up ect... all of that will be 'artist rendering' so to speak. Making an entire movie on a flight that lasted in the neighborhood of only 20-40 minutes, seems a little off. You can't really make much of it before the event, and really only do an tribute of anything after the flight... eh I dunno, but Deej has a good point that it should be no names playing this out as opposed to hollywood faces making a big buck on true tragidy.

Edited by Signal08

I can just imagine a scene where the terorists say something bad about America, na done guy stands up and says "Hey buddy! I'm an American!" Then, hesitate, another stands up next to him, "I'm an American!" Then all the rest, and the climatic scne will play out like a commercial by the Ad Council. I just can't imagine this movie being anything but exploitation, and I can't imagine all the families of all 40 passengers being OK with the idea of making a movie or who their loved ones will be portrayed.

The Clerks 2 teaser is gonna show up here around 10am this morning. Gotta leave for work at 9.45 so hopefully it gets up a little sooner.... :yup:

From the site (with the reason I posted i in bold):

Over the last week or so, I’ve been cutting together a teaser for the new flick, and this morning, we post it over at the Clerks II website. Cruise on over there and peep it when you get a chance.

For those who’re trying to avoid spoilers, don’t worry: it’s not a very revealing two minutes, as it gives away precious little about the movie’s plot. It’s merely a sneak peek at what “Clerks II” looks and feels like, set to one of my favorite tunes of all time : “Among the Living”, by Anthrax (for the curious, this isn’t the original recording of “Among”; this is a re-recording of the song from the excellent album “The Greater of Two Evils”).

Some folks have asked why I’m even bothering to put any footage of the flick out there, eight months before it’ll hit theaters. The only reason I can sight is that I’m proud of the flick; I fucking love it, and I can’t wait to share it with the world. Just as “Clerks” was a film about what I felt it was like to be in my twenties, “Clerks II” is a film about how I feel it’s like to be in my thirties, and for the audience which has made that trans-generational journey along with us over the last decade, I think it’s gonna really connect in a big way. But chuck that aside: after the great test run of the flick last month, as well as the enthusiastic response from Quentin and Robert, this just felt like the right time to put up some footage for the fan-base.

But to do a full trailer this far in advance of our theatrical release would be akin to us getting into a sixty nine with the viewer, blowing (or licking) them while hovering our sopping wet pussy/throbbing hard cock within an inch of their face, and then quickly dismounting before any spasms of release and euphoria could occur, getting dressed, and telling them we’ll see ‘em in August, while heading out the door. Rather than subject folks to that, we present, instead, the cinematic equivalent of a genital flash: just a quick enough glimpse of what we have in store for you to give you something to think about while you’re tugging/rubbing one out over the next few months, with the added promise of three-hole input down the road (sorry ladies: I couldn’t think of the male equivalent of three-hole input… except maybe the utter and complete lack of request for three-hole input).

So without further adieu, I give you a little whiff of “Clerks II”…

Comments (33) - Posted in Clerks 2 Video Posts by Behind the Counter