Hondo's Bar

Movie News

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox Says Sony Ripped Off 'X-Men' Plot

Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Enterprises have sued Sony Pictures and Revolution Studios, claiming that their film, Zoom's Academy, is a rip-off of their own X-Men series. Both films concern a group of children with special powers who are shunned by their normal peers and are sent to a school to learn how to cope with their super abilities. Fox and Marvel also claim that the rival studios deliberately moved up the release of Zoom Academy so that it would debut on May 12, 2006 two weeks before the release of X-Men 3, which is set for May 26, 2006. The lawsuit seeks injunctive relief and unspecified monetary damages.

Strangely enough, 20th Century Fox didn't bother going after Disney for Sky High, yet another movie about a superhero school. The suit also fails to mention that the movie (now titled simply "Zoom") stars Tim Allen and Chevy Chase and seems about as different from the XMen movies as you can possibly get in the superhero drama (I'm picturing a superhero version of Galaxy Quest). That and you can't copyright an idea.

Though I hafta say it seems a little like King Kong lives in Mordor, but other than that - wow. Props to Jackson for being smart enough to use all that cgi to heighten reality instead of trying to duplicate it.

Edited by Silent Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dunst Spills the Beans on the "Spider-Man 3" Villains

Posted by Scott Weinberg on Tuesday, Sep. 27, 2005, 02:44 AM

Scott Weinberg writes: "Hanh Nguyen over at Zap2it.com shares a great little scoop that he got from Kirsten Dunst during her "Elizabethtown" press junket. We all know that Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace will be portraying the "Spider-Man 3" villains known as Venom and Sandman ... but which actor will be which evildoer?

"Although the Internet has been abuzz with the supposed identities of the two "Spider-Man 3" villains to be played by Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace, Sony and Marvel have kept the names under wraps.

Now Mary Jane herself has confirmed Spidey's latest nemeses.

"We have really great people though as the villains in this film, Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace -- Venom and Sandman," says Kirsten Dunst while promoting her film "Elizabethtown."

"Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that," she says, checking with her rep, who assures her the information has already been released.

The "Interview with the Vampire" actress is a little shaky on the information at first, saying that Church would play Venom and Grace would take on Sandman, before reversing her claim when a journalist expresses disbelief. "It's the other way around. You're right," she concedes.

Dunst can be forgiven since she has yet to receive a script for the film that will begin shooting in January.

"But I know the general story," she adds. "There's a lot that they're trying to fit into this one."

For more of the Spidey lowdown, check out the scoop over at Zap2it.com."

Curse Strikes Aardman

Almost as if it had been struck by a curse, Aardman Animation was engulfed in flames early today that destroyed what the company called its "entire history." The fire struck as Aardman employees were preparing to celebrate the successful opening of Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, which opened at the top of the U.S. and overseas box offices, with $16.1 million and $9.2 million respectively. Company spokesman Arthur Sheriff told the BBC: "It couldn't have come on a worse day -- we were supposed to be celebrating, but instead our history has disappeared in a couple of hours. Everything has gone. ... Everyone is devastated." Aardman founder Nick Park put a different perspective on the loss. "Even though it's precious stuff and nostalgic -- and it's dreadful news for the company, in the light of other tragedies it's not a big deal," he said. No one was apparently in the building when the fire broke out at about 6:00 a.m. local time. However, the fire was so intense -- at times flames shot 100 feet into the air -- that firefighters were unable to enter the building and were forced to fight the blaze from the outside. A Bristol fire department official said, "All three floors inside have collapsed and the exterior walls are unstable."

I think radical Browncoats did it... :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Rocky 6 is really on the move now, and yes, Sly Stallone will reprise his role as Rocky too! Check out the article here or just read it below:

Rocky 6’? Stallone signs on for another round

New film will feature a retired Balboa coming out of retirement

Hollywood Reporter

Updated: 10:52 a.m. ET Oct. 17, 2005

LOS ANGELES - Sylvester Stallone is signing on to reprise his role as boxer Rocky Balboa in the sixth installment of the long-running film series, which he wrote and will direct.

The film, titled “Rocky Balboa,” will be co-produced and co-financed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios and will be distributed by Columbia Pictures.

Stallone has been trying to make a sixth movie for years and has been reworking a script. The latest version, which sources said is similar to the tone and grit of the first two movies, persuaded the studios to negotiate a deal.

In many ways, the screenplay really took me back to the original ‘Rocky,”’ Revolution Studios founder Joe Roth said in a statement. “As a past champion, Rocky Balboa is once again a regular guy who has to find himself and deal with real life. This film brings Rocky’s story full circle.”

In the new installment, Rocky, lonely and retired in Philadelphia, comes out of retirement, intending to fight a few low-profile local fights. He’s approached to fight a match with reigning heavyweight champ Mason “The Line” Dixon, and soon his comeback ignites a media firestorm.

“’Rocky Balboa’ is about everybody who feels they want to participate in the race of life, rather than be a bystander,” Stallone said in a statement. “You’re never too old to climb a mountain, if that’s your desire.”

Shooting is scheduled to begin in December in Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

Stallone received Academy Award nominations for starring in and writing “Rocky,” and the 1976 MGM film won an Oscar for best picture, best director (John G. Avildsen) and best editing (Richard Halsey, Scott Conrad). The movie grossed $117.3 million at the domestic boxoffice, making Stallone a film star and creating one of cinema’s most famous characters.

It also launched one of the most successful film series of all time. 1979’s “Rocky II” grossed $85 million, and 1982’s “Rocky III,” which featured Mr. T, grossed $120.2 million. “Rocky IV,” with Dolph Lundgren, made $125.4 million after its 1985 release. By the decade’s close, however, audiences seemed to have tired of the character. “Rocky V,” released in 1990, made only $40 million.

“Rocky Balboa” is the first film to be green-lit by MGM since it was acquired by Sony Corp.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

• 1 month later...
So weird you should ask this, because ever since 9/11, I have been thinking about a sequel of sorts. I mean, the worst terrorist attack on American soil was religiously bent. In the wake of said attack, the leader of the "Free World" outed himself as pretty damned Christian. In the last election, rather than a quagmire war abroad, the big issue was whether or not gay marriage was moral.

Back when I made "Dogma", I always maintained that another movie about religion wouldn't be forthcoming, as "Dogma" was the product of 28 years of religious and spiritual meditation, and I'd kinda shot my wad on the subject. Now? I think I might have more to say.

And, yes - the Last Scion would be at the epicenter of it. And she'd have to be played by Alanis.

And we'd need a bigger budget - because the entire third act would be the Apocalypse.

Scary thing is this: the film would have to touch on Islam. And unlike the Cathloic League, when those cats don't like what you do, they issue a death warrant on yer ass (see Rushdie). And now that I've got a family, I'm not as free to stir the shit-pot as I was when I was single, back when I made "Dogma". I mean, now I've gotta think about more than my own safety and well-being.

But regardless - yeah, a "Dogma" followup's been swimming around in my head for some time now.

P.S. - Interesting "Dogma"-related sidebar: I recently received a glowing "Dogma"-praising email from a recent fan, who began his missive with "My name's Tom Clancy. I do books." It was surreal and really wonderful.

That would be so fucking good, to say the least. Can't see it happening though.... ^_^

Edited by 2track