Hondo's Bar

Movies I hate that begin with T & end with itanic

How do you feel about Titanic  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Back when it was in theaters, it was all anyone is in the movie industry was talking about. But it's been liek 6 years now, far from enough years to 'stand the test of time', but the movie isn't part of any hype now. So now that we'd had time to let that movie sit with us, what do we feel about it. Is it a classic, like Gone With The Wind, and will they still be talking about it in 60 years like we talk about GWTW? Any other thoughts?

Stew's quick capsule review: Piece of shit...now walk away.

In all seriousness I thought it was fine as an effects movie but didn't do anything for me on a romance level. Are we seriously expected to blieve that the biggest tradgedy of the boat sinking was Jack's death and not couples who had been together for years. Shame on you Cameron.

I thought it was fucking great, and while I'm sure many people genuinely dislike it, it has simply become fashionable to hate it. At the very least it wasn't bad in any way shape or form. To say it sucked is just rediculous. Hopefully now that decaprio is getting a decent reputation people will start remembering how good the movie was. I blame Celine Dion for the whole fucking thing, exploiting one of the best movie scores ever to make a shit song. Most people hate the song, and project that hate onto the movie.

Edited by JunkerSeed

The movie was good, no matter what Leo-and-Celine-haters say. But it did make one of the biggest Hollywood mistakes. A story as moving and epic and important as the sinking of the Titanic does not need a cliche hollywood love story in the middle to get some emotional impact. Ever since Titanic, they've been doing it a lot (see Enemy at the Gates). They take a story that's perfectly interesting enough by itself and add in things until it just seems too contrived to be history. But, even so, the movie was good. It deserved the oscar it got. The effects, the writing, the music, the acting, the cinematography, the directing (which goes without saying, since it's Cameron) were all as good as you could get. It will always be one of the biggest and best movies of the ninetys. But I think it could have been one of the best movies of all time if they had just stuck to the story of the ship, not the story of Jack and Rose.

IMHO

I agree with you Junker that it is an easy film to slate but I do genuinely dislike it. I saw in the cinema like mos of the other movie-going audience and quite enjoyed it. However, I then saw it on the small screen and realised that once you get past the sinking-ship-stuff there is very little substance to the rest of the movie, Silent Bob putting his finger on it nicely.

I do not believe that some computer-wizradry is enough to keep a film afloat (boom boom) and discarded it like an old sock.

A story as moving and epic and important as the sinking of the Titanic does not need a cliche hollywood love story in the middle to get some emotional impact.

can we say pearl harbour? titanic was 10 times better and a well done movie. dis it all you want; james cameron is da man!

• 8 years later...

Basically it's Romeo and Juliet but there's a boat and it sinks. Also Billy Zane is a dick (and he also plays a person with dis-likable qualities in the movie.) Kathy Bates is the only one who seems to remember how acting works in a small insignificant role as the Unsinkable Molly Brown.

That was amusing, Spongey

REALLY?!?!?!?! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I wonder if this was the only time someone told Spongey he was funny. By that I mean, ever, in his whole life.

I gotta see this movie someday...

Hey, the instrumental version of 'Heart will go on' is great. I guess Celine's police-siren voice is the real problem.

It funny to see Jumbie's subtle straight-posturing from back in his in-the-closet days.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...