Hondo's Bar

Wolverine

The NZA

• 4 weeks later...

On the bright side the first issue of the X-23 ongoing is out and it did not suck. Far from it in fact it was a damn good read, it had some great character moments from a bunch of X-men new and old and seems like a solid start to a new series. And with any luck the Wolvie in Hell shit will be ignored in this title.

• 10 months later...

Okay Hondos, riddle me this:

What would happen if Wolverine was quickly split in half vertically, brain to groin, and the pieces were separated and put in a sterile environment?

Would he prove to be asexual? Would each half of his brain grow a new half and a new body around it? Would we end up with two Wolverines? Would he just die?

Could we potentially have an army of Wolverines from exploiting this? Should I be allowed to write Astonishing (don't answer that)?

If you base it on precedent, that healing factor is pretty insane, and downright stupid in the wrong hands(i.e. Nuke), but I'm leaning towards the "both brains grow new bodies" hypothesis.

Input?

hmm - he's grown entire limbs (i'm not indulging the few dumb stories where he comes back from being nothing like lobo/deadpool or some shit), but i dont know past that. plus, adamantium.

i wanna say if you got his brain out of there entirely, he'd not regrow a whole fucking body though. then again, drowning is like one of the only ways i know he can die.

Let's take adamantium out of the equation, as it's not really a part of his mutation and it hampers it significantly.

A whole brain gone, sure, he's toast, but HALF a brain? It would be the same as if he took a shotgun blast to half his head, surely a lot of people will assume he'd survive that.

I admit, my knowledge of neural science is a little lacking (I'm working on it, dammit), but there's a certain amount of symmetry there, no? I know it's not perfect symmetry, but still.

Maybe just his dominant hemisphere would regrow and the other half would live? There's very little information that I know of concerning what part of his brain controls the mutation (probably).

Wolverine gets Old Boy'd

prv9539_cov.jpg

For context, a brief recap of events thus far:

Masquerading as his girlfriend Melita, Mystique is hired to lead Logan into a trap where a satanic ritual separates his soul from his body. His soul is then sent to hell, where it's tortured by demons and tormented by visions of friends and loved ones damned to burn for eternity. Meanwhile, Logan's physical body is possessed by a host of demons, and the new "Hellverine" begins targeting Logan's friends and extended family as part of an organized plot to destroy his life on Earth. Back in hell, Logan manages to stage a revolt with a little help from his friends, and he escapes the underworld in the confusion. Logan's soul returns to his body, but now must fight off the demons that still control it as they burn his mind down around him. Emma Frost leads a team of X-Women (plus Melita) into Logan's mind to try to aid his fight against the demons, but it's ultimately Logan's memories (or... were they?) of Nightcrawler and Jean Grey that save the day.

Back in control of both mind and body, but bearing the mental and spiritual scars of his ordeals, Logan's mind is fixed on one simple goal: REVENGE. He hunts down Mystique, even as she's being targeted for assassination by her employers, and forces her to give up their location before killing her. Following the coordinates given, Logan arrives at the headquarters of the ones responsible for everything that's befallen him of late: a group calling itself "The Red Right Hand." As he enters their base of operations, Logan faces off against their enforcers, "The Mongrels," engaging them in bloody single combat as their bosses watch from a secluded room...

WARNING: if you are at all interested in experiencing this story first-hand then I urge you to STOP READING NOW AND BUY WOLVERINE GOES TO HELL.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

(Paraphrasing here:)

"Congratulations, Wolverine. If you're watching

this recorded message, as you stand over our poisoned corpses, then

you've killed your way through our guards and to us, your prey. We are

The Red Right Hand. We are the ones who hired Mystique to lure you into a

trap by posing as your girlfriend; thank you for killing her, by the

way, she was a loose end. We are the ones who sent your soul to hell, to

be tortured and tormented by demons of the underworld. We are the ones

who had your vacant body possessed by other demons, and sent this

'Hellverine' and our own agents to attack, maim and kill your friends

and loved ones. We are the ones who torched your 'memory room' in

Madripoor, the place where you store and preserve every memento and

scrap of past lives forgotten. We are the ones you came here to kill

with single-minded purpose; so sorry to leave you revenge blue-balled

with our mass suicide, but we thought it would add considerably to your

suffering (plus getting stabbed by you looks like it really, REALLY

hurts).

"So who are we? Put simply, we are the ones left

behind by the people you've murdered. Husbands, wives, fathers, mothers,

sons, daughters, best friends and lovers of those whose death you've

had a very direct -- and sometimes, indirect -- hand in over an

unnaturally long life of killing. In front of you is an astonishingly

thick folder detailing their names, faces, and personal histories;

everything and everyone you've taken from us is in that tome. We became

the Red Right Hand to seek revenge against you for loved ones taken and,

if you're watching this, then the revenge we've planned for years is

now complete.

"To reach this room, you had to fight your way

past our elite guard, 'The Mongels.' Each of them was brought here by

your son Daken -- who says 'hi', by the way -- and trained at our

expense, for the single purpose of fighting you on our behalf. NOT

killing you, however; though we never told them, that was never really

part of the plan. Far from it, in fact; we wanted them to lose, to die

at the end of your bloody claws.

"Why?

"Because they were YOUR CHILDREN.

"Now, at last, you know what is like to be us."

MLcL5.jpg

NnO6L.jpg

Heh. I thought of the Old Boy similarities when I finished this one as well. That's some messed up shit, right there.

If you havin' baby mamma problems I feel bad for ya, son. Logan's got 99 problems, but as for illegitimate kids there ain't none.

Um, except for Daken.

Tennerrman p-shop is a classy touch.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 11 months later...

ugh. this will be forgotten, just as quick as his "WOLVERINE COMES FROM MYSTIC WOLF-PEOPLES" shit.

we're collectively waiting for you to get the fuck off and infect another book to read this one again, Loeb. this is what you've become.

Surely along the path of this idea progressing from Loeb's brain fart to print, somebody in Marvel, could just step in and say "no, sorry Jeff, this is retarded". Watching Loeb progress in his career is like watching a boxer fight on past his prime and just becoming a human punching bag. Throw in the towel Jeph, throw in the god damn towel.

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 1

Marvel should have another line (like Epic) in which they just put aging writers and artists out to pasture. "Arts & Crafts Time at the Nursing Home Comics" is what it should be called. Of course, not give them access to their characters, but do whatever else they want... and not be a danger to the rest of society.

• 3 weeks later...

elsewhere i was reading about Cleremont planting seeds all about for his overarching Wolverine story, few id forgotten:

Chris+55.gif

he catches Apocalypse's scent on Warren in Inferno (recalling that in BWS' Weapon X, he wanted apoc on the other end of that phone the doc was giving updates to)

Scan0031.gif

did anyone else read Wolverine: Jungle Adventure? cause: don't, most of his one-shots were shitty like this one, but it was awkward cause it first introudced the idea of him having kids all over the place too...but yeah i totally forgot this.

some digging was done, this was found from a Cleremont interview i never saw:

“Originally, my intent was to have Wolverine killed by Lady Deathstrike. His healing factor would have gone into overdrive to save him. In the meanwhile, his body would be acquired by The Hand and he would be “reborn” by them as their new Master Assassin, at which point the would lead them against the X-Men. This in turn would lead the greatest unimaginable challenge to the relationship between [Cyclops] and Jean, with who knows what kind of repercussions (short & long term), leading up to a final cathartic conclusion in Uncanny X-Men #294, and then in Uncanny X-Men #300.

Wolverine died. Jean Grey goes in and becomes his evil babe, though not really, she would be faking it. She is trying to tap into the Wolverine that is buried beneath all of The Hand’s spells. Scott and company are figuring, “Wolverine’s gone bad, we gotta put him down”. Xavier is immovably adamant about the need to save him. The need to salvage him, to bring him back to the light.

Wolvie’s healing factor went into ultra high gear, when he was “killed”, it was essentially rebuilding his heart. This is really disgusting, but his arms and legs would have rotted, as his heart healed. His conscious mind would have been kept in total suspended animation, everything would have geared towards keeping his sentiency intact and repairing his heart, everything would have been left to rot. So you would find this partially decomposed body, with a full-healed torso, at which point, the decomposed bits would begin to heal. It would take a long time and be disgusting beyond words, but ultimately he would have survived. The idea was that Wolverine really is impossible to kill. Anyway, one of the side effects of this, the healing factor is purging all non-organic matter, which means the adamantium. So what was going to happen was that it was like the Silver Surfer with hair. He’d be this blinding, shining creature with killer claws. Ultimately, the adamantium would just be part of his hair, he’d look like a silver porcupine.

At some point, he and Colossus would have a major fight, and it would have this great cover, it would be a black background with a spotlight of light and in the center of the spotlight are two sets of claws with the housings, just as if they had been ripped out of his arms and one of the claws would be broken. What was going to happen in that issue was that Colossus was just going to pull the claws off from their roots.

So The Hand would then give him artificial claws, they would work or not work as the case may be, but again, as part of the healing process, gradually he would realize that he was growing something new. That there is a natural element is his body that gives him claws. And over a span of six issues, you would see them grow.

So, when all is said and done, it would come down to a major league fight between the X-Men and Wolverine. A major component of the fight would be Wolverine’s battle with himself over the goodness of his soul, the warrior of his soul fighting this demon he had become, and he would win. The adamantium would flake off and he would stand reborn as a totally natural being. His bones and claws would be virtually unbreakable, they could be broken, but they could also heal. But because of the incredible stress he has been under for the past two years, his healing factor is like, “I’m tired. Don’t do this again, not fore awhile, OK?” After all this, Wolverine is not only more vulnerable. He’s going to butt his head into the wall because “It hurts too much and why do I wanna hurt myself? I’ll use the key”. It is like Wolverine’s come face to face with his own morality, and his own limitations and is like, “I’m too old for this shit. We’ll find a better way.”

But at the same time, it would create a bond between him and Jean like nothing that’s ever been done before. So that even if she was in love with [Cyclops], there would be a level of communication between her and Logan that Scott could only dream about, or have nightmares about. And at the end of it all, would lead to a final confrontation with the Shadow King. But that was my storyline, my core story for the first two years of X-Men.”

along with the rumor that Harras pushing the Scott/Jean wedding after Cleremont's departure was meant as a fuck you to his plans for a triangle with Logan.

i find this shit interesting, but seriously, after that last x-book where Cleremont was allowed to keep the story going from what he had in mind for the 90's...goddamn, history did not miss out. I recall 2 storms (you remember the dangling plotline of "the traitor" that launched Onslaught? it was Storm here!), and Kitty getting one of a dead :wolvy: 's claws...shit was pretty insane.

more stuff like this

Holy shit. Wolverine part of the hand... Him n colossus goin at it... Silver fuking wolverine? Fuckin epic shit man. However they coulda fit this arc in after that nimrod bullshit after the original series broke 100.

It woulda been redundant after him n gambit wrecked the hand already in that yakuza arc but a lot better use of Jim lees skills. I mean comon... Generation X?

Man I miss shit like the xecutioners song and the xtinction agenda.. Had me comin back to buy comics constantly without putting things in some sorta smelly political perspective a la civil war. Just straight up us vs them brawlin n back stabbin.

They can still do,it! That's why there's a what if series! Fookin Disney... Fuckem to hell.

Edited by IceManML