Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Saw Youth in Revolt a few months ago with Amber, it was every bit as good as Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and Adventureland (that is to say, I finished it and said "That was decent, I don't believe I shall ever watch this again." It was also a monumental waste of Zach Galifianakis, Steve Buscemi, and Fred Willard. It's also like the sixth movie that's prompted a "Ray Liotta, why the fuck are you here?" from me. . .

. . .TL:DR = Plot just kinda milled around till the end, WTF Ray Liotta, and that's about it...

Huh, I liked it WAY more than either Adventureland (blah) and ...Infinite Playlist (unfunny). And the plot is pretty straightforward: crazy shit is done by a teenage boy in the name of getting laid love.

battle-los-angeles-poster-1a.jpg

Sw this one in the theater last night. It was OK; kinda disappointed in it. The action scenes were meant to reflect "realistic" urban ground combat, but when you've got the SUPER MARINES! it doesn't really ring so true. And you could make the argument the whole film is one long recruitment video for the Marines.

Bottom line: much better than Skyline, on par w/ Tom Cruise's WOTW remake, but not as entertaining as ID4.

Huh, I liked it WAY more than either Adventureland (blah) and ...Infinite Playlist (unfunny). And the plot is pretty straightforward: crazy shit is done by a teenage boy in the name of getting laid love.

Sw this one in the theater last night. It was OK; kinda disappointed in it. The action scenes were meant to reflect "realistic" urban ground combat, but when you've got the SUPER MARINES! it doesn't really ring so true. And you could make the argument the whole film is one long recruitment video for the Marines.

Bottom line: much better than Skyline, on par w/ Tom Cruise's WOTW remake, but not as entertaining as ID4.

I caught this the other day. If you go in expecting an inventive take on the alien invasion flick like District 9 or Monsters you will be disappointed. It's shooty-death-kill and it does that very well. Personally once I got over the fact that it wasn't quite as distinctive as other movies in the genre and just accepted it for the FX-laden explosion fest that it was I enjoyed it immensely.

Like Haku said its aint as much fun as ID, not as innovative as District 9 but is a hell of a ride. Now how do I enlist in the marines?

I caught this the other day. If you go in expecting an inventive take on the alien invasion flick like District 9 or Monsters you will be disappointed. It's shooty-death-kill and it does that very well. Personally once I got over the fact that it wasn't quite as distinctive as other movies in the genre and just accepted it for the FX-laden explosion fest that it was I enjoyed it immensely.

Like Haku said its aint as much fun as ID, not as innovative as District 9 but is a hell of a ride. Now how do I enlist in the marines?

Ah, I totally forgot to list District 9 in my comparisons. Good call, Crim. But in my defense, that wasn't really an alien "invasion" story in the vain of Battle LA, Skyline, ID4, etc. And I kinda had the opposite take w/ the action for Battle LA. I found it got to be a little monotonous. Way too "busy" for way too long--kinda like most of the fights in the Transformers films. Like you said, I couldn't recommend this film to someone unless they went in explicitly to see aliens get shot and blown up--and even then I'd recommend waiting for it to hit video.

Sw this one in the theater last night. It was OK; kinda disappointed in it. The action scenes were

meant to reflect "realistic" urban ground combat, but when you've got the SUPER MARINES! it doesn't really ring so true. And you could make the argument the whole film is one long recruitment video for the Marines.

Managed to catch this over the weekend. Crap. Hated it. One of the MOST forgetable flicks ive seen in a long time. So much so that the day after, saw the trailer and for a brief moment I was excited to go see it, completely forgetting I had already. Ten times the action of District 9, and a thousand times less compeling.

jackass_3d_ver5.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1284576754345

There's a thing about these guys that's so likable. I halfway wish I was their buddy cause they look like they're having such a blast. Granted I'd probably be too chickenshit to do even a quarter of that stuff, but I'd be nice to have friends like that. NOT! Seriously though, the gags are getting old, but can still get a real laugh outta me. Ok, I've watched it and got it out of my system.

2 has a better narrative and that Japanese guy was a good choice as an addition to the cast, but it does have a counterfeit Willie Mayes-Hayes and that is a sin. 1 is more memorable but not as funny and makes very little use of every character that isn't played by Tom Berenger (including Sheen). 3 makes liquid anger shoot from my nipples.

2 has a better narrative and that Japanese guy was a good choice as an addition to the cast, but it does have a counterfeit Willie Mayes-Hayes and that is a sin. 1 is more memorable but not as funny and makes very little use of every character that isn't played by Tom Berenger (including Sheen). 3 makes liquid anger shoot from my nipples.

And you don't have to have seen Major League 1 to enjoy it.

My thoughts exactly...

Mt first response was "There's a Major League THREE?!?".

Same here...makes you just want to watch it, just because.

But I won't for fear of anything shooting out of my nipples...

Scott Bakula rounded out the cast nicely with Berenger and Bernsen as 3 actors whose careers were washed up before they even started. But you know how the whole point of the first 2 was about not getting kicked back to the minors? Well, I won't spoil it to you, but the movie is called Major League: Back to the Minors. I think many franchises that have run aground should adopt this strategy, I hope to see Home Alone 5: The Kid Fucking Dies and Smokey and the Bandit 4: Burt Reynolds Refused To Even Look At the Script.

More like it clawed it's way from the bowels of the earth and parked itself on a K-mart special double-disc with Major League 2. I didn't buy Major League 2 for like 2 years because I couldn't find it without having to get Back to the Minors packaged with it, and I feared it would give me "the Gay."

Edited by Iambaytor

paul_movie_poster.jpg

Fucking hilarious! Haha! Sci-Fi movie references out the wahzoo! There were parts that I was the only person laughing out loud in the theater during some of the more obscure references! Star Wars ones were great! Will buy this on DVD. This flick does for aliens what Shaun did for zombies! A+

That can't have been out since Valentines.