Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

yeah, the board's weird about double posting lately. im still gonna check it out, but i thought M Night didnt write this one?

and yeah, i dunno if family guy is wearing out its welcome or something, but i recall at least kinda enjoying the first star wars rip, the 2nd one i dont think i laughed once.

yeah, the board's weird about double posting lately. im still gonna check it out, but i thought M Night didnt write this one?

According to Wikipedia:

Devil (also known as The Night Chronicles: Devil) is a 2010 U.S. supernatural thriller film based on a story by M. Night Shyamalan, written by Brian Nelson, and directed by John Erick Dowdle. The film was released on September 17, 2010, and is the first of The Night Chronicles trilogy,[2] which involves the supernatural within modern urban society.

Man, all this Devil hate is making me ponder my movie likes. I know I'm weird when it comes to some movies, but I really thought that it was good. And well done. And well paced and all that other crap. Dammit.

Don't get hung up on something as subjective as film tastes. If you liked it, cool. Don't worry what others think. I like my fair share of awful nonsense and don't give two fucks about what someone else thinks.

Yeah, it was apparently so shitty even he wouldn't direct it!

OhSnap.gif

600full-enter-the-void-poster3.gif

trippy, disturbingly sweet and sad.

also, i apologize for my mix-up that shamalamana didn't write or direct the devil. however, if the uber-catholic guy was in the story he wrote as well and served as a similar plot device, then i withdraw my apology.

Edited by La Lindsay

LaLin - this Enter the Void keeps popping up in my recommended films queue. So it's worth a watch then?

Watched this one. Beautifully crafted, like something between Samurai Jack and Braid. That said, the story was lacking.

I just watched Secret of Kells on Netflix and these were my thoughts exactly. The ending seemed especially rushed and weak. However, the animated Chi Rho page was worth the price of admission alone. Seriously thinking of getting it on Blu Ray (once the price comes down) to be able to fully appreciate the animation.

Children of Men. Damn near flawless film. Great OST too.

Agreed. This film is SO underrated. The DVD is fairly bare-bones, but it has a great lil' documentary w/ some modern academics about the philosphy behind the film.

LaLin - this Enter the Void keeps popping up in my recommended films queue. So it's worth a watch then?

It's very stream of consciousness filming and there's a lot of meandering so it gets a little long and boring in places but overall I would give it a 6 (I don't like paz de huerta so that bumps it down for me). It's more visually awesome than anything. The plot is not really that original but i would say the execution is what makes this film stand out. and it's more sweet in a disturbing way than disturbingly sweet as I had originally posted.

...so, uh...how was devil? i was curious.

I saw that movie by accident at my boys house, we didn't even know what it was called at first...it is soooooooooooo creepy and twisted with the plot...the resolution at the end just makes you feel dirty...I mean to the point where I didn't even want to use HIS elevator when I was leaving his house...and it still creeps me out when I go over there, I stick to the stairs.

I mean, the premise is based around Karma and ultimately having to pay the piper for the wrongs you commit in your life.

Overall...wouldn't see it again, but if you like creepy movies where people get arbitrarily killed...go for it.

Recently I saw, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Shawshank Redemption (again) which I love, and Taxi Driver (classic)

I saw The King's Speech last weekend (it lives up to the hype) and Dinner For Schmucks (skip it) and a great documentary recommended by LaLindsay, Art of the Steal (see it), this weekend.

Saw I Am #4 yesterday and it was surprisingly cool. I'll come back to a sequel on that one.

I was debating that one as it seemed geared mostly to the tween crowd (written by Smallville creators and directed by the guy that did Disturbia). I'll likely hold out for video as RT seems to confirm my suspicions...