Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Saw Paul last night, and fucking loved it also. Just an awesome movie.

I also saw Battle: Los Angeles last weekend and it sucked ass. very boring and cookie cutter, with probably the worst aliens I've ever seen in a movie.

I can't wait to see PAUL!

We saw LIMITLESS this weekend and it was pretty good. Not quite as great as I'd hoped, but a solid "B" and definitely worth seeing, but you could easily wait for it to hit video.

I also saw Battle: Los Angeles last weekend and it sucked ass. very boring and cookie cutter, with probably the worst aliens I've ever seen in a movie.

Obviously you skipped Skyline then.

Saw a few movies Friday and yesterday. Based on recommendations on the board, I watch Youth In Revolt and Observe and Report.

Youth_in_Revolt_Movie_Poster.jpgObserve_and_Report_3.jpg

I had heard these two films described as comedic spiritual cousins of Fight Club and Taxi Driver, respectively. After seeing the films, I understand how the comparison is drawn, but I'm not sure the comparison is apt. Both are on the subversive side (O&R moreso than YiR), and both were good, but neither were home runs. I'd recommend both to anyone that likes darker comedies, but in the pantheon of dark comedies, this doesn't come anywhere near movies like Election or Heathers.

Also, this Youth In Revolt poster really pisses me off. The character Sheeni never wears sunglasses and never sucks on a lollipop and her hair is dirty blonde, and that poster evokes this Lolita persona that is just nothing like the character.

I also watched Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

480--86851DVDFLT.jpg

So, you can read the whole story on the Wikipedia page, but the story basically goes that Richard Donner set out to film Superman and Superman II back to back, and had completed shooting 80% of Superman II when the studio forced him to stop photography on the sequel and focus on completing the first film for release. After it was Superman II was released, Marlon Brando demanded 11.25% of gross ticket sales for the studio to use the scenes in Superman II where he portrayed Superman's father Jor-El; scenes they'd already filmed. The studio demanded Richard Donner cut Jor-El out of the sequel. Richard Donner refused and the studio brought in Richard Lester to finish the sequel up. Richard Lester went on to direct a fun Richard Pryor film with a few brief cameo appearance by Superman himself. That film was called Superman III. Anyway, this is the version Richard Donner intended, with as little Richard Lester footage as possible to maintain story cohesion.

Anyway, it has been a long time since I've seen Superman II (like, maybe 15 years), because I don't remember this movie being very different than the other version. according to Wikipedia, "as much as half of the film contains never-before seen material filmed by Donner." Oh well. While there's definite charm in parts of this film, alot of it is painful to compare to the best of modern Superhero films.

And finally, I just yesterday got around to watching Kung Fu Panda

kung_fu_panda.jpg

I had initially skipped it because it looked obnoxious, but after consistantly hearing it placed among Dreamworks' list of good animated films from people who consider Dreamworks' good films to be a shortlist, I finally decided to watch it. The art direction was beautiful, enough to really regret missing it in a theater. The story was a simple and straight forward homage to Wuxia kung fu films. Very predictable story arc and even more predictable character arcs, but it's all very charming and the action sequences are pure fun. I giggled that the teacher was named Master Shifu, because 'Shifu' is Chinese for 'master.' I wish the furious five had been fleshed out more (or...at all), but there's a sequel coming out this summer, so maybe they'll get fleshed out more there. Overall, not as good as How To Train Your Dragon, but on par with the first two Shreks, and that's saying something.

Edited by Reverend Jax

There's this (companion with the Panda DVD):

KungFuPnda_SF5_DVD_Front.jpg

And this:

Kung_Fu_Panda_XBox360.jpg

Which Nick knocks, but its actually pretty fun. It follows the story a little bit. Kinda fun, more behind the scenes training and missions. You get the Five and a bunch of new friends and enemies that I hope make it into the next film.

Edited by APANCHALYPSE RETURNS

Saw LIMITLESS last night. It was a decent film. Not much in the way of characterization, and it missed an opportunity to more deeply explore some moral/philosophical questions. But otherwise a great little sci-fi film w/ an excellent premise, a few good action scenes, and DeNiro gives some great deliveries in his few scenes. Solid "B" grade, definitely worth seeing--but not one I think you'd have to see right away in theaters.

watch-limitless-online.jpg

Jax:

I thought the same thing about the YIR poster in regards to Sheeni. It didn't necessarily "piss me off," but I thought it odd "they" chose to pay homage to Kubrick's LOLITA poster w/ that. Really not at all in keeping w/ her character in the film. I'm not sure how she's portrayed in the CD Paynenovel(s) though.

I bought the Superman II: Donner Cut on DVD a while back, but have yet to watch it. I'm wanting to do a marathon w/ Superman: The Movie, SII: Donner's Cut, the Superman Returns. Maybe seeing those two originals back-to-back will give me more appreciation for Singer's trainwreck film.

I can't believe you waited so long to see Kung-Fu Panda! It's such a fun film. Agreed, not as much heart as HTTYD, but still a great Dreamworks film.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Having not seen the poster in question(for YiR), you can safely draw from this that i had no preconception of the character, but how the hell was she not like Lolita? Ackward teen using her newly found sexuality to manipulate men?! Was that not what the whole fucking movie was about? The one I watched was...

I want to see WIN WIN & Mystery Team; glad to hear good reviews on 'em.

This weekend I saw Paul w/ the gf. We both thought it missed some opportunities for bigger laughs, but I enjoyed all the sci-fi nods and homages. Definitely recommend to any and all Hondonians.

paul-movie-poster.jpg

Took Panchy to see Sucker Punch for his b-day. Of course he liked it more than I did, but I thought it was more boring than need be. It's basically a hot mess as far as plot, but if you go just to see some short clips of hot chicks dressed like anime babes kicking ass through various amalgamations of geek genres (dragons & ogres, alien robots, samurai demons, & steammpunk Nazis) you should be pleased.

sucker-punch3.jpg

Took Panchy to see Sucker Punch for his b-day. Of course he liked it more than I did, but I thought it was more boring than need be. It's basically a hot mess as far as plot, but if you go just to see some short clips of hot chicks dressed like anime babes kicking ass through various amalgamations of geek genres (dragons & ogres, alien robots, samurai demons, & steammpunk Nazis) you should be pleased.

sucker-punch3.jpg

Saw it Saturday night and I was surprised at how much I hated Suckerpunch. Now I had EXTREMELY low expectations going in, and there were tons of resoundingly negative reviews bubbling up in the weeks before its release, so I shouldn't be surprised right?

I was surprised in that I didn't expect to want to like Suckerpunch. I didn't expect the trappings of an interesting story, or at the very least an interesting idea for one.

I expected schlock, and schlock would not be worthy of my ire.

Suckerpunch's most damning fault is that, much to my surprise, there was so much potential in it and yet, in my opinion, it falls completely on it's face.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Good question. Is an intentionally reanimated corpse still considered a zombie?

:hmm:

This question needs a thread. Lemme say early on though that I believe it to be a 'yes'. I wouldn't call Frankenstein's monster a zombie, but that's a reanimated body cobbled together from spare parts and therefore a different creature again.

In a word? Yes. If it is a re-animated corpse that is not a vampire or a wraith (more or less a ghost that is solid, think The Crow), it is a zombie and it doesn't matter if the source of re-animation is scientific or magical intentional or not, especially considering that the word originates from something that voodoo doctors supposedly did to people. Yes Frankenstein is a zombie, just a cobbled together version. Yes, Jason Voorhees is a zombie, though I suppose it could be (and has been) argued that he's a wraith.

But isn't the need to consume brains and/or human flesh also a key element to being considered a "zombie"? :bored:

Encylopedia Article on Zombies

zombies in folklore from around the world

Not even slightly. The eating human flesh things was something exclusively invented by George A. Romero and if he'd had the good sense to copyright his movie, it would ONLY be used by him. (Though admittedly there are some ancient texts that mention the dead rising and eating people but I don't know the context on those, so I'll leave it out) The brains thing was invented in Return of the Living Dead. There were dozens of zombie movies made before Night of the Living Dead: none of them ate flesh, all of them were the product of magic, and they were both intentionally created and not rotting. In fact Romero's zombies weren't even referred to as such by the cast and crew of the film, it was a label foisted on them by fans. But it's pretty much become a catch-all term that refers to any instance of a re-animated corpse that doesn't fit into another category. Sometimes there are those that don't really fit the definition or are hard to categorize (The infected in 28 Days Later aren't, some of the deadites from Evil Dead are, the nazis from Dead Snow are, the ones from Outpost aren't) but just about everything undead fits the definition.

source-code-movie-poster.jpg

Caught a free sneak preview last night. Really liked this one. It's a film that deals with some dodgy science (anyone who's paid attention to the trailers probably knows this), yet presents it in such a way that I am still able to suspend my disbelief (no easy task for me to do!*). Somehow, Duncan Jones is able to make me knowingly swallow some bitter pills while quelling my reflex to call "Bullshit!".

Soon as I get the chance I'm going to throw a thread up on this, as I have more to say on the subject.

*Ask Nick and Panch about my rant on mechanical webshooters in the new Spider-Man.

• Upvote 2