Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Saw the new Robin Hood film. I was kinda half jokingly wanting this film to be Gladiator In Tights, but it was more like Kingdom Of Heaven in England. I'm big fan of the Robin Hood legend, and an unapologetic fan of the Costner Prince of Thieves film, which I do believe that was an overall more entertaining film than this Russell & Ridley take on the story. However, it was a unique concept in doing a more "origin" POV---almost like a Robin Hood Begins.

Overall: B

haha it was like a cross between Special and Kick-Ass. worth the rental I'd say, if not for watching Woody Harrelson flip out when people call him DefendER and not DefendOR.

Damnit, this sounds up my alley. I'm a lil' pissed this one was completely off my radar. Is it an older film?

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...

^^Great choice, DOJ! I love that film--it's anachronistically fantastic. Anachrontastic?

51V0ZMBPPRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I watched this one w/ the gf on Logan’s suggestion. You have to wait around for an hour or so for any semblance of a plot to emerge, but some of the random, rambling monologues are cool--some are just random and rambling. Both the gf and I were a bit confounded as to why this one got so much praise until we watched the documentary on the DVD. The interviews w/ the director were revealing and helped me gain more appreciation for the film. One must also take into account that the film was made before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the influences it’s had since it was released. (Ah, NOW I know why Kevin Smith put his angels in trench coats in Dogma!) Maybe I’ll give it another try one day (Criterion claims to have a superior translation to the one on this DVD), but when I put this one in we were in the mood for a romantic drama and this film has that element, but begs so much more of the viewer. It’s a love story for pre-unification Berlin, and also, in a sense, for all humanity.

Overall: B

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...

2u44vlz.jpg

unless the original was some different hot shit, you must've been high, or likely, asleep, thinking about better films with Pacnio and Robin Williams. in the case of Pacino, id say that's nearly everything he's done ever.

again, glad someone liked it. i mean, i didn't watch New Moon, but it made a lotta people happy.

I don't remember much about Insomnia other than I saw it once in the theater and left feeling it was kinda "meh," especially compared to the awesomeness that is Memento.

Anyone else excited about Nolan's next film, Inception? I think it looks fucking awesome, but the gf says she's not that worked up about it as it appears to play off concepts (dreams, manipulation of the mind, etc.) seemingly well worn in film...

following.jpg

I need to put this one on my "to see" list as well.

Insomnia sucked so hard that it blew, I've tried to like it on no less than five occasions and only managed to sit through the gargantuan fucking runtime (mind you this is with commercials as AMC is the only channel desperate enough to play the damn thing.) It's another rock on the bumpy road that is Pacino's post-Devil's Advocate career, and while Hillary Swank and Robin Williams have had great performances this movie does not stand as an example of that for either one.