Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Oh Man, the Mist far exceeded my expectations! I fucking loved it.

Watched a shaky cam version of Paranormal Activity 2 last night(which already is a shakey cam movie) so for most of it I had NFI what was going on. Before that I watched Red though, which was pretty good. Like Haku I haven't read the book but the movie played out as some kinda fun with a pretty decent cast. Plus it was nice to see Mary Louise Parker not being an unlikeable whore.

I echo JZA's sentiments on this film. I loved it!

And it basically sounds like RED isn't an adaptation of the comic so much as it is based on Ellis' premise then, right Baytor?

It involves an Ex-CIA agent, named John? Moses that is targeted by the CIA for termination. This of course only pisses Moses off and re-activates his kill mode and he goes and kills them back. There are no analogues of Freeman, Mirren, or Malkovich's characters. In the book, Moses is targeted because the new head of the CIA watches a video of Moses' exploits and is so morally disturbed and outraged by what he's seen that he decides the world would be a better place without him in it. I'm sure the movie has a more mundane and family safe explanation (I'm guessing his name was picked by a magic loom that's read by an elite assassin's guild that curves their bullets.) Regardless, the book was less a story and more of a concept with art and dialogue (a good description of a lot of Ellis' one-shots) so I understand and even support all of the changes though it most likely means all the darkness goes with it.

So yeah, they The Shining'ed this.

One day I'll look to the parrallel reality where I saw the Wanted Movie before reading the book, and wonder if I'd read RED before seeing the movie if I'd have a similar reaction. SPOILER ALERT I don't think they go into any motivation for the hit, but Karl Urban(shame on me for forgetting him) is actually pretty standout as Moses' opposite nnumber. Plus I'm guessing the book didn't bother with a love interest.

The Horse's Mouth (1958) starring Alec Guinness

horsesmouth.jpg

Full of quotable quotes:

"Go away. Scram. Tie lead weights to your feet, fireworks in your hair, kiss your mother goodbye and jump in the river. I don't know you. I don't want to know you. Buzz off! Explode!"

Gulley Jimson: Of course you want to be an artist. Everybody does, once. But they get over it, like measles and chicken pox.

Nosey: But there have to be artists!

Gulley Jimson: And lunatics too! But why go and live in an asylum before you're sent for?

"Go and do something sensible, like shooting yourself! But don't be an artist!"

Edited by Genroh

heh. nice one, Gen.

baytor's spot-on, that's what Red was about...is the screener online? i too went looking for paranormal activity 2 (joel got me all hyped before i got internets back, didn't mention there's only cams out right now...) so i'll wait.

JZA makes me wanna see The Mist again, so good.

Megamind! Such a fun movie.

Co-signed! I dragged the gf to see it and she ended up loving it more than I did. Also worth seeing in 3D. Dreamworks is definitely 3-for-3 w/ me on the animated 3D films. Monsters vs Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, and Megamind were all fantastic, made for the 3D theater experience films.

yup, Dreamworks is kicking ass in that area. I love how dark Megamind was.

2/3 of the movie you are rooting for a murderer!

As for the last thing I watched it was the Night of the Demons remake and it was more enjoyable than the original one, which wasn't very good to begin with. Worth watching for Halloween at least.

DOUBLE FEATURE!!!

Troll 2 and Best Worst Movie!

Troll2.jpg

Bestworstmovie.jpg

It had been YEARS since I saw Troll 2, and wow, I forgot/didn't realize when I was a kid how BAAAAD that movie is. I mean like UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVEABLE bad. Like, you couldn't do worst if you tried. However, this film is the EPITOMY of "So-bad-its-Good"-ness and is definately a MUST WATCH!

Enter Best Worst Move. A new documentary by the child actor from the film, about the film and its relatively recent cult resurgence.

I was really disarmed by Best Worst Movie. It's surprisingly poignant and a delightfully bittersweet journey. Check it out!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY