Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Interesting interview there, Jax. Kirkman seems to be loyal to the show foremost, which is understandable. Still, I don't like how he so quickly distanced himself from Darabont. The interviewer seemed to focus on negative comments the show got, and Kirkman played (or was edited) right into them. Anyway, looking fwd to seeing what they have in store for the remaining six shows this season.

So, two guys from Philly walk into a bar...

. . . And Rick kills the fuck out of them. I'm hoping these guys were escaped cons from the prison thus their presence has a future payoff or else just this random killing will be lame. Ditto for Laurie's crash.

All in all not one of ther series' stronger episodes.

• Downvote 1

. . . And Rick kills the fuck out of them. I'm hoping these guys were escaped cons from the prison thus their presence has a future payoff or else just this random killing will be lame. Ditto for Laurie's crash.

It's nice to see Renee from True Blood getting "more" work.

regarding Panch's spoiler: Yes please!

lori'll get hers. i was laughing with kertins about how realistic it is for me to have a buddy who's wife/girl is outright unlikable like that.

i liked the bar scene, didnt think it was random at all.

if its like the book, a herd chases them off the farm, right? if its not, it's people, and we start the old zombie film meme about how people are way worse than fucking zombies, which sets the tone for the guv'nah, as well as Rick having to develop into a bit more of a hardass.

think about it: we're still at the rick who's trying to save everybody. go read the comic, with one-armed "SORRY ZOMBIE-BAIT, YOUR KID SHOULDA KEPT UP.", we've got a long way to go from here till then, and i like these moments personally.

good ep. I like how they're having Shane make some important points that divide the camp, but in such a way that you're still looking forward to his (hopefully?) inevitable doom.

• Upvote 1

I watched Talking Dead, the AMC talk show about The Walking Dead, and they had a clip for next week's episode that indicated the two guys from Philly wasn't just a random bookended encounter.

They had friends outside the bar and next episode Rick, Glen and Hershel will be trapped in the bar with the Philly guys' friends outside.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
chirst, you suck at spoilers, jax.

I thought this was a fantastic episode, the bar scene was so fucking tense. Lori's crash is just nothing, don't know they even bothered with it, you know she's gonna be okay.I also like how Shane isn't becoming a 2d baddy, he's shown in quite a positive light in most of this episode. All in all, can't wait for the next episode.

Edit: Shit forgot to spoiler, thanks Panch.

Edited by alive she cried

So Shane's dead. Building to the inevitable now, I wonder if Rick or Carl will do the deed?<br>Overall enjoyed the episode, interesting turn of events with the young "hostage" wonder if his friends will come back and start this "war", Kirkman did say the last few episodes are at a break neck pace. Hard to call when you've read the books, although if this season doesn't end with Carl shooting live/zombie Shane (I'll settle for Rick putting him down initially) and or panning over the prison I'll be dissapointed.

^^ I revisited issues 1-6 earlier today, and I gotta say the *prepares to have fiery TPBs hurled at him* TV series as a whole was more entertaining in the first six episodes than the first six issues of the comic. Not slagging the comic by any means, but I'm trying to say this TV series has won me over. I'm in. I'm not really into nit-picking over deviations from the source material anymore let alone hyperbolic threats of quitting the TV series if this or that from the comic doesn't show up in the TV show. I'll gladly bitch-n-moan over discuss deviations set up in the world of the TV series though.

As for where Rick's stealy gaze response to Lori's Lady MacBeth-esque speech at the end of s2e9 will take the group. . .

... the smart bet is it won't end well for Shane. Will Carl be the one to do the deed? Maybe so. It played out realistically/organnically enough in the comics. And that page of Rick comforting Carl in the woods after he shot Shane would make for some seriously powerful TV if done right: "It never should be, son. It never should be." chills just thinking about it.

However, I can see a variety of characters in the TV show shooting Shane unfolding in a plausible and impactful way: Herschel, Lori, Glen, Dale, and even Andrea. Hell, the only "cheat" in my eyes for Shane's killer would be Rick. Rick's already shown he has that darkness in him to pull the trigger--Sophia, the bar--so I don't think offing Shane would have as great an impact on his character as it would the others I mentioned.

I can't wait to find out how the show handles it though. And I heard on the Sirius radio show Geek Time that they got screeners of episodes 8-11 and theybsaid S2 e11 is the "best show of the series thus far"...

b/c apparently a major character dies. They didn't reveal the name, but safe money is on Shane.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I'll quit the show if it this season doesn't end like the comics, all I'm saying is that those story arcs would make amazing tv, but if they write something even better that's differnt to the comics, then I've no problem with that whatsoever.

Yeah and Lori is Lady MacBething that shit right up.

Yeah, fair enough. I re-read it and you wrote you'd be "disappointed" if it didn't go down like the comic book. That is a far cry from the fanboy hyperbole I was talking about. However, the only way I'll be truly disappointed is if they don't resolve the situation in a meaningful and impactful way to the TV series. And that can occur in a variety of ways, one of which being the way it went down in the comic.

My takes:

I said it before and I'll say it again. Shane ain't makin' out of this season. AND IT WILL BE CARL that pulls the trigger. Not saying Rick wouldn't, but Shane will be cheap and try to take him while his back is turned. Setting up Carl. As far as this "darkness" within Rick. There is none. Shooting Sophia was him being the man Shane has been claiming to be the entire series. The bar? He was reverting back to his police training. Only darkness was maybe double tapping afterwards.

The look on Rick's face at the end of this episode was awesome. Can't wait for the gif to make as my avatar. This episode was loads better than the last and I'm loving this show no matter what. I'm a fan of great storytelling. The comic is a great template, but if they can create something better I'm all for it.

I used to be a zombie killer like you

then I took a fencespike to the knee.

Looked like a school... or prison(!) they approach in the sneak peek they showed for next week. I hope you're right about Shane, Panch. There's only so many Otis's to go around *cough*tdog*cough*, before the entire group realizes what a dick he is.

Really, you don't think Rick has a certain darkness in him, Panch? A killer instinct that Dale and Glen don't have or have yet to develop/realize? Maybe darkness is the wrong word b/c that can infer he's more like Shane. And I am not saying that. Rick and Shane are definitely different sides to the same coin in the show. Magneto and Xavier.

Rick is a man of the law. A new school cowboy. He does what he must to protect the innocent. Above all, his family. Even if that means getting his hands dirty. In this new world he's walking the edge of justice, but understands that he can't cross... or become like Shane. He's allowed Shane to continue to live because he is a friend and ultimately an asset. But now Shane's become a threat and must be dealt with accordingly.

I agree with what they were saying in the Talking Dead in regards to the above. At this point, it's not so much protecting the group anymore as it is protecting your loved ones. I think Shane is losing his marbles if not has already lost them in claiming Laurie and Carl his. I think that is what is getting to Rick at this point with Shane. He was able to tolerate up until now. I just want to see who's going to do the deed.

man, i thought i was gonna coin that lady macbeth shit, but it is pretty obvious...heh, good call hakus.

1) kinda wondering where they're taking this andrea thing as far as the obvious rift in the camp, which shane's death will only potentially widen unless the inevitable herd onslaught is enough to unify, however shaky.

2) panch, you gotta know kirkman's having a blast fucking with our expectations. how much did you shit yourself when the season 1 finale had carl, rick & shane in the woods, and ended with carl getting shot?

he's playing fast & loose here; shane's still alive so i gotta figure those bets are off. youre right that it could be carl, but can we honestly rule out a) rick transitioning as a character by doing it himself, execution-style b) Andrea (wild card!) c) zombees/going out a hero or some shit? certainly there's degrees of likelihood with those but i feel a lot less safe hedging bets with carl than you do man!

3) speaking of rick's transition and what haku said: im with panch on this one, but i think you nailed it with the "darkness" link to magneto: you look at that bar scene (first one, with the guy from true blood), and i dont think anyone argues that those were justified kills. and that's important! because those scenarios, as we know, keep kinda happening and there's always a good reason, until things get blurry and we/the crew reach that sort've Vick Mackie period of "you know, that situation didn't necessarily call for what you did, rick..". that's the compelling part of his character/the writing, for me. rationalizing has to be easier than ever in that world, but it's the perfect situation for an actual slippery slope.

Can we really call it a rift if it's two against... everyone else. Seems like Andrea's just whipped on Shane's penis. Seriously though, Shane's death will come from Carl. I'm convinced. There's been too many foreshadowing moments between the two.

As far as Kirkman is concerned. He was giggling like a school girl when Sophia shambled out of the barn. He was the trollface to the fanboy's rageface ;)