Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

tense-ass mid-season finale was tense.

dying for february to come around. Kirkman is so twisting the knife with this whole dragging out shane's fate thing, just to make sure the eventual abandonment of the farm is as gut-wrenching as possible. they're gonna be a wreck before even seeing the prison.

ps I could watch Dale's goofy facial expressions all day.

why so? i kinda feel a bit like Kirkman is just taking his time & fleshing out stuff he rushed through before - he said as much @ Shane being around (i wanna say?), and the core of it like Hershel's farm & the barn and all, it's been years but that was about the gist of it, no?

tense-ass mid-season finale was tense. . . .

ps I could watch Dale's goofy facial expressions all day.

Agreed. On both counts. Dale was putting his "shocked indignation" look in overdrive this episode. The scene in the swamp was great though. Tensification set to maximum!

Also, I agree w/ axel that the Sophia outcome seems obvious, yet it wasn't. That's one of the hallmarks of good storytelling. The final shot (pun!) of the episode was well done; it kinda reminded me of a Sergio Leone film.

However, I do not agree w/ Bindy and his uncertainty over this season. Seems like he's expecting a more literal translation of the comic. Maybe if Zack Snyder developed the series instead of Darabont that would happen. Thankfully it did not go down that way. I'm enjoying the characters in this TV interpretation and the variations in the plot that they're undergoing thus far.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Agreed. On both counts. Dale was putting his "shocked indignation" look in overdrive this episode. The scene in the swamp was great though. Tensification set to maximum!

oh god, i literally caught myself holding my breath during that scene. this episode was draining for me - i gotta say, in a quasi-related-in-my-mind kind've way, this show's been like playing Resident Evil: Director's Cut in the day: i knew the zombie placement & events by heart from part 1, so DC had itself a hoot by fucking over my preconceived notions & throwing what i was expecting right out the window. it's like an entirely different kind've security blanket than usual, being snatched away. i rather enjoy it.

also, good call @ the leone shot, i can totally see that - did you know that historically it was considered (during John Ford's time) far too violent to show a point-black shot fired? i watched a lot've old westerns, and sure enough, you'd see one shot of the gunman & weapon, another of the victim: Leone was supposedly one of the first to say fuck that and have both in the same shot, which was one've the things the Duke considered "vulgar" about spaghetti westerns. semi-ironic use on your part, hakus!

I was feeling pretty bad for ol' Hershel

right up to Sophia emerging from that barn. I was honestly expecting him to pull up a troll mask or something. 'You've been looking for a little girl this whole time, right? Problem?

I was admittedly a little behind due to gaming/study/this show not even being on my must-view list but still a household staple anyway and Alana just wouldn't STFU about the finale. I was expecting(for a real coup) Shane to basically divide the group and take off with his crew and guns(with little Carl in tow). I wouldn't rule that out though, because if there's anything this story needs it's more living enemies/villains.

true.

best i could figure on ol hershel was that he thought it better to keep hope alive than not, though that does conflict with him wanting them off the land - unless he just didnt want them to find out more than anything, thinking there's a cure or something coming.

Yeah, regarding Herschel sympathy, I feel it as well. And one of the big questions I have going into the second part of the season is...

when exactly did Sophia get taken to the barn? It had to have been after Shane got back from killing Otis, right? But I'm thinking that's Herschel's big motivation for wanting Rick's group gone ASAP--he was likely worried what they'd do to both him and the walkers if they found Sophia in the barn. Well, Shane took care of that problem for ol' Hersch.

Also, the look of sheer horror and confusion on Herschel's face during that whole turkey shoot that was the walker barn massacre left me wondering where this incident would take Herschel next. The actor did a greta job of playing it ambiguous enough to keep me guessing--will he flip out on Shane or has he come to the grim realization that he did in the comic book?

Sophia probably ended up there not long after her not fucking listening getting lost. From the way the search went, the farm was right where the in the middle of the search area cause every time they mapped it out Rick was like "ok, we'll just make a big ass circle around the farm. GO." From the looks of it, the zombies that Rick was helping drag to the barn were the first ones to get there since that crew arrived. The barn wouldn't have been a secret for nearly as long if they were out wrangling zombies.

I see Herschel getting murdered by Shane (just because I guess?) or offing himself. Seeing all that shit go down had to shake his faith.

Seemed like major foreshadowing when Shane tried giving Carl that gun almost like saying "hey, you're gonna need this later... to use..... on me"

Guess I'm just ready for Shane to go. If not that, at least have more of a split in the group like jza mentioned earlier.

^^Ha! Axel, I thought the same thing when Shane handed him the gun! I was half expecting

Carl shooting Shane to be the end of the episode--not necessarily him killing Shane, but putting a bullet in him. I think the writers are headed that way this season. Carl's wearing the hat, taking on his father's POV, and that's in direct conflict w/ what Shane has in mind. I smell trouble...

And you're probably right about the Sophia timeline. Otis likely found her right before he shot Carl. I was thinking Carl was shot the same day Sophia went missing, but I think the shooting was the day after she was lost. I wonder how she didn't end up zombie food? She had a bite on her neck--was she startled by a lone walker and nibbled on before she ran away and eventually turned? Hmmm...

*EDIT*

Also, I don't know why we're bothering w/ spoiler tags re. Sophia. The AMC homepage has a GIANT spoiler pic right at the top. :???:

And here's a SPOILER HEAVY clip of ep.208, too bad we've gotta wait until Feb. to see it.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

And there's no way that Shane will be allowed to live by the end of this season. Otis' death can't stay secret for long with Dale's nosy ass knowing about it.

AMC has a talk show that airs after new episodes of The Walking Dead called Talking Dead, which is about The Walking Dead. It's pretty good actually, and one of their regular segments is airing a clip of the next episode (the host watches the episode being discussed right before the show films, with his audience and guests, and he has not seen future episodes). This week, they showed a clip of

Dale telling Lori that, even though he couldn't prove it, he was certain Shane killed Otis.

So yeah, the finale was excellent. I had the same questions everyone else had about when Sophia was put in the barn, and if anyone who put her in there knew that was the girl they were looking for. If Otis put her in there by himself, was he told by anyone that they were looking for a little girl between when he shot Carl and when Shane shot him? If someone did mention it to him, did he just decide to keep quite, planning on telling them after they got back from getting the supplies? All good questions.

As for Hershel and the farm, the group will not leave Hershel's farm (especially now that the threat of barn walkers has been eliminated) unless they have to. Will they respect Hershel's wishes if he just tells them to leave? I think Shane is passed playing nice in this new world. Will the farm have to be overrun by zombies, forcing them to evacuate against their will?

In the first season, I was disappointed the end-of-Shane story line was pushed back, but now, not just am I glad they let the situation develop, now I don't want to see Shane go. He is far and away the most interesting character right now, with Darryl in 2nd. The end-of-Shane moment will likely be incredible when it comes, but I'm afraid of what the show will be missing when he's gone. Of course, we'll have Michonne by then, so that'll be awesome.

So, let's take a quick vote, what do you think will be the final shot of the season 2 finale? 1) Shane's death, 2) Panning shot over the horizon of a hill to reveal an aerial wide shot of the prison, 3) Something else from the book, or 4) Something not at all from the book.

Shane needs to die in the most horrible, gruesome way.

I know it is folly for us fans of the comic to assume anything in this show will happened the same way it does in the comic, but if Shane does die, it seems to me that the on,y way they could do it is in the way they did in the books. There's no way they could do it better some other way.

Y'know, if they do decide to do it differently, and if they wanted to try to one up the way he goes in the comics, as hard as it would be to make it any better.... Seeing Michonne do the deed to save someone's life as her first appearance would be pretty fucking badass.

I think it is sad that you guys are talking more about 1.7 seasons of a tv show versus 15 or 16 books worth of material... :sof: Kinda thought Hondo's would be the opposite, you hypocritical americanized bastards! lol

http://www.hondosbar.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3311-the-walking-dead/page__st__210 Mixin' our pop cultures ain't right, Boy. Them funnybook threads need to stay with their own kind.

Y'know, if they do decide to do it differently, and if they wanted to try to one up the way he goes in the comics, as hard as it would be to make it any better.... Seeing Michonne do the deed to save someone's life as her first appearance would be pretty fucking badass.

No. Not just would that not be as fucked up as how it went down in the books, it would rob Michonne of her truly badass introduction: walking somberly, but leisurely, calmly and carelessly, without the slightest inkling of fear or worry, with two walkers chained up in tow, literally disarmed and disjawed, whom happened to have been her boyfriend and best friend.

michonne.jpg

Oh please let the FX teams get those two zombies right. I'd even forgive the horrible skirt if they just make those walker repellent zombies of Michonnes right.

And since we're on this pic--the worst thing about the McFarlane Walking Dead toy line (other than the ridiculously high price per figure) is that Michonne didn't come w/ two zombie accessories and instead came w/ a drill and a hammer--fffffffuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

As for Hershel and the farm, the group will not leave Hershel's farm (especially now that the threat of barn walkers has been eliminated) unless they have to. Will they respect Hershel's wishes if he just tells them to leave? I think Shane is passed playing nice in this new world. Will the farm have to be overrun by zombies, forcing them to evacuate against their will?

That's a very interesting question. I think it's plausible all that gunfire from the end of S2E7 will attract some walkers--but will it be a herd large enough to overrun the farm? I don'tt know. Maybe Herschel will be more understanding, maybe Shane will ice the old man, or maybe they'll head to Ft. Benning. I can't wait to find out though..

So, let's take a quick vote, what do you think will be the final shot of the season 2 finale? 1) Shane's death, 2) Panning shot over the horizon of a hill to reveal an aerial wide shot of the prison, 3) Something else from the book, or 4) Something not at all from the book.

Last season ended in a way completely unlike the book, so I'm betting that S2 finale will have a similar digression from the source material. I think the writers like the Rick/Shane/Laurie dynamic too much to stop it after only 2 seasons.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...