Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Why did you ever stop?

I'll speak for myself, I like to watch episodes back to back in marathon stretches as opposed to having a few hours a month slowly leaked to me. The same reason I like to read some things in trades or one story arc at a time instead of 24 pages a month.

That said, it's been pretty tough to wait this season out. I've had it thoroughly spoiled for me, which one could argue is a fatal flaw in this viewing method, but I've managed to keep Kati innocent. It's my own fault, I get spoiler warnings and just shrug and read articles anyway. I'm used to it.

Oh, and I don't like "appointment TV". I watch TV like twice a month.

Linds, just wait til October, cram it all in, then u can watch the season you've been waiting for. What's going to annoy me is the months long anticipation especially when they advertise the crap out of it 3 months beforehand. The way AMC has been with this, they'll advertise Season 3 starting with the season premiere of Mad Men.

Hondos is pretty good about spoilers. That and I stay away from the thread if I haven't watched. You guys aren't the problem. People on Facebook have no concept for spoilers. I've had shit ruined for me on a number of occasions. I just watch it when it comes out or wait for the Blu-Ray. I'm a single issue comic fan so watching it week to week is like the same thing.

Dale was killed, not because of his comic book relationship with Andrea, but because he had to die. Also, because Kirkman told the suits: this would fuck with the comic readers.

Dale was the voice of reason. The "map", if-you-will, of keeping on the path of normalcy. Of the old world. By killing him, the folks trying to find their way in this new world, lose their "map". It's classic storytelling. It's good storytelling. Have they always done this? No. This is one of those times they didn't drop the ball.

Now on to Carl shooting Shane. In the comic it was different. And it was pretty awesome, but the Rick/Shane drama was less developed. On the show, Shane lived well passed his time in the comic and the drama between the two was infinitely more developed. It was Rick that HAD TO kill Shane. And I was glad that he did. It was his duty. Now, they still had Carl shoot Shane, but Zombie Shane. This was to keep his innocence. This is very important since he is the only child left. I was also happy to see them do this. It was good storytelling. Carl will have his time, but not this season.

Comic spoilers included:

I agree that some of the changes are better than the way things were in the original books. In a general sense, it's good to keep it unpredictable for the comic fans, and in a specific sense, many changes are debatably improvements. A lot of people seem to be happy that Sophia died, but in the books, having had Carol die and Sophia survive force Glen and Maggie to be her care-takers, immediately thrusting a fledgling relationship between young lovers into parenthood. Furthermore, I find any interactions between Carl and Sophia in the books to be fascinating, and I wish the books spent more time exploring the dynamic of how kids live and relate to each other in the new normal of a world overrun by walkers.

Rick killing Shane and Carl killing Walker Shane was an interesting revision of the pivotal moment in the comic. It definitely changes the dynamic, but I don't know how I feel about it. In the books, it was a radical shift for Carl away from innocence. In the show, Carl has already been taking that path away from his innocence, so this single event will be less traumatic, but I think he's on that same path. We'll have to see how Lori's death is handled, if it still happens at the end of the Governor arc (an actor has been cast to play the Governor, so that arc is confirmed for season 3, though perhaps it will not end during the same season). Those issues after her death did more to shape the Carl (and the Rick) we see in the books today.

I initially suspected that the decision to keep Dale and Andrea's (and Amy's) relationship non-sexual and non-romantic was a business decision to keep the appeal of the show more broad. But keep in mind, Andrea was introduced in issue 2, and Dale and Amy in issue 3. While fans may love the books and therefore think faithful adherence to canon is a high virtue, only to be slightly violated if absolutely necessary, a lot of creators of original works, especially serialized works where they begin a story without complete plans of where to take a story (in the Walking Dead, Kirkman has definitely been a gardener, not an architect), creators look back and see a lot of things that they wish they'd done differently. Kirkman has said himself that he wishes he'd kept Shane alive longer, but he didn't know how long the book would be published before being canceled. It's possible he wanted Dale to be a moral center for the group on the show, and thought a relationship with Andrea may have compromised his ability to play that role. Was it Kirkman's wish to change their relationship? If he hadn't wanted it, would AMC have put up a fight? We may learn that in the future, as behind the scenes drama for properties that people care about for many years tends to eventually come out.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Upvote 2

Comic Spoilers:

To be fair

Dale didn't have much to offer to the book other than an RV, he was a likeable character and also a pivotal point in the series when they discovered that someone could indeed survive a zombie bite. But there was nothing special he brought to the book and once he started acting like a prick, well let me paraphrase a reader letter in the back of an issue that said what everyone was thinking "Dale sucks now. Please kill him."

I also totally wouldn't mind if after season 3 all the comic characters died and we followed Darl Dixon (and maybe Michonne who should never die in any incarnation.)

Edited by Iambaytor

Interesting you should bring that up, Baytor. I was just thinking last night how I feel differently towards some characters in the TV show as opposed to their comic book counterparts...

Glen and Maggie

Comic: Couldn't care less. Especially Maggie. She's pretty much useless.

TV: My second favorite couple after Rick & Shane.

Dale

Comic: Sad to see him go.

TV: Not sad so much as surprised to see him go.

Andrea

Comic: Always liked her, but thought she was fairly one dimensional.

TV: Not sure if I like her so much, but she is much more interesting and complex than her comic counterpart.

Carl

Comic: Total badass.

TV: Stay in the fucking house.

Lori had ONE job. Besides you know, telling Andrea to stop doing the mens' folk work...that was to watch Carl.

Worst apocalypse parent of the year. Frillz

+1'd so hard. also, LL's words were a spoiler for me but only because LL is ridiculous and i knew exactly what she was on about when she said it.

kertins thinks Rick is going alpha-male faster than usual; i think he sold shane's killing and all that wrong/overly-antagonistic, but the fucking point is that there needs to be leadership so the dumb females of the cast dont convince their respective others that going solo is a brilliant idea (because why, Rick didn't tell you some nihilistic shit when everyone was leaving the spirit-crushing CDC? fuckouttahere)

oh yeah, and Lori needs to die in like 3 fires. lady macbeth your way into having rick and shane fight & die over you, then judge him when that shit happens? also, you doubled-over when you heard your kid, which my girl sin just pointed out how shitty a caretaker you are on that one, saved your husband's life by pushing past his emotions/humanity and killing the fastest-turned-zombie evar (seriously, how did they hang out in the bar with those dead assholes earlier on and not see them rez?). where was i? oh yeah, your husband's doing what you wanted him to do, your son is a champ, and you exist to heighten misogyny; i'm going to have a hard time hating the governor like i should knowing that he'll do what's right to you.

ps goddamn michonee, why you gotta be so cooooolllll

Slowripoke

Slowripoke.jpg

Slowripokes brains work at a much slower rate than other Horriblewomons. She can only really concentrate on one task at a time and when moving from one to the other she often forgets the previous one. While Slowripokes are horrible mothers, wives, mistresses, schemers, and drivers they think they are proficient in all of these things at the same time.

Moves:

Trick - Tells you to kill your best friend because it's right. Gets mad at you when you do it.

Whoops - Start sleeping with your husband's best friend a couple months after you leave him to die alone in a hospital. Oh he's alive? Better never mention this!

Carl! - Oh shit, I have a kid don't I? Better go find him.

Crash - Wrecks a car on a clear stretch of road because one zombie is standing in it.

While fans may love the books and therefore think faithful adherence to canon is a high virtue, only to be slightly violated if absolutely necessary, a lot of creators of original works, especially serialized works where they begin a story without complete plans of where to take a story (in the Walking Dead, Kirkman has definitely been a gardener, not an architect), creators look back and see a lot of things that they wish they'd done differently.

This is pretty much my biggest grip with Kirkman being involved with the show. The flaws, or perceived flaws, in a work are no more obvious to anyone than the creator of said work. The thing is, I really believe that a work is defined as much by it's flaws as by it's merits, and that very human temptation to 'tweak', should be avoided at all costs. This sort of revisionist history has given us such favorites as:

Deadislandblog.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-26300-1328893372-69.jpg

It's an indulgence on the part of the creator that does nothing but dilute the work in question.

Now, by no means do I think the show should be a panel for panel recreation of the book, I just worry that the motivation for the changes will be Kirkman's attempt to give the "Special Edition" treatment to his story. This is especially worrisome since the book is in no way finished. I don't think any creator is capable of completely compartmentalizing, and the temptation to work the elements that work in the show into the book (even if it makes NO sense) is too great, and we'll eventually end up with some homogenized, cross-media mess.

But maybe I'm just being paranoid...

The moment Daryl Dixon started to be awesome I had a feeling that Kirkman would one day shoe-horn him into the comic. Part of me still also believes that Jim is gonna turn up at some point late in the series (the comics that is) as someone who's bizarrely immune to zombie bites, something about his death just felt off to me.

Part of me still also believes that Jim is gonna turn up at some point late in the series (the comics that is) as someone who's bizarrely immune to zombie bites, something about his death just felt off to me.

Jim was in the comics. Died in issue 6.

Jim.jpg

In the comics, he also survived a long time after his bite.

This sort of revisionist history has given us such favorites as:

I think there is a big difference between going back and changing a work of art, and tweaking it when it's adapted for another medium. In the grand spectrum of levels of fidelity to source material in comic to film or tv adaptation, the Walking Dead has been pretty true to the books comparatively.

Edited by Reverend Jax