Hondo's Bar

The Amazing Spider-Man

I'll save you 3 pages, basically it isn't. Or if you are a rampant Spider-Man 3 hater then it definitely needs to be done.

man, you can count me among them and i still dont think it needs to be done.

My only real hope is that this somehow does so abysmal that Marvel can get the rights back.

honestly, i think that's almost everyone's hoping for that. i can scarcely imagine a surprise spidey movie on part/better than say first class that id prefer to an absolute bomb that possibly allows marvel to get him back one day.

honestly, i think that's almost everyone's hoping for that. i can scarcely imagine a surprise spidey movie on part/better than say first class that id prefer to an absolute bomb that possibly allows marvel to get him back one day.

I'm not sure if film rights for intellectual property works like child custody civil law. It's not like this Spider-Man film will be used in court where a judge will say "Sony, clearly you have neglected your legal responsibility to this intellectual property, I am giving full custody of Spider-Man back to Marvel Studios." Whether The Amazing Spider-Man makes two billion dollars worldwide or twenty million, I don't think that makes a difference as long as Sony continues to believe there is money to be made in more movies.

I think the idea was that if it's a flop, Sony might be more willing to let Marvel/Disney buy out the rights. Which I imagine they're more than willing to do.

This. Then again, from what I've heard, Joss Whedon has expressed interest in adding another female member to the Avengers.

Aye. Ant-Man and Wasp. Not Black Widow or Hawkeye though.

Cap wasn't int he original line-up either.

I think the idea was that if it's a flop, Sony might be more willing to let Marvel/Disney buy out the rights. Which I imagine they're more than willing to do.

Sony would have to be convinced that Spider-Man was not a viable property for making money. If TASM was a flop, would they be convinced that the property had run its course and another reboot would be another flop? I don't think so.

I guess that's true. They went, what, 3 issues without him?

Sony would have to be convinced that Spider-Man was not a viable property for making money. If TASM was a flop, would they be convinced that the property had run its course and another reboot would be another flop? I don't think so.

I'd be willing to bet that there is a number attached to what it would take for Marvel Studios to acquire Spider-Man. I assume it's more than Disney is willing to pay, especially since they make money off of Sony's effort anyway and they have the merchandising rights.

A catastrophic flop could make that number lower, possibly to the point where it becomes a feasible business venture.

It's also worth noting that Sony has been hemorrhaging money lately and are dealing with record losses.

• 4 weeks later...

Venom movie rumors

Mostly interested in these details

Earlier today, Matt Patches over at Hollywood.comhad a chance to talk with The Amazing Spider-Man producers Avi Arad and Matthew Tolmach, and during the inteview, he took the opportunity to ask them about Sony's planned Venom movie, which Chronicle director Josh Trank is rumored to be directing.

Matt Patches? I mean, how awesome is that name? It's like he came straight from the Apple Dumpling Gang.

Also Chronicle director rumored could be sweet.

Yeah It's all super early, but thought it could use a post somewhere.