Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Just watched Law abiding citizen, didn't really expect much from it, but it kept me and Logan entertained from beginning to end. I give it 2 thumbs up.

a agree about the crappy ending, but it was overall an awesome movie. T-Bone to Neck=WIN!

just saw Alice too. It was alright. I kept thinking that if written just a bit differently then we woulda got the Brutal Legend movie, which I wouldve enjoyed much more lol

Brutal Legend movie

^THIS!

I haven't seen the new Alice movie as I am still fond of the old made-for-TV Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass 1985 films. :/

Does the Jabberwocky make an appearance in Burton's version?

Edited by Genroh

Saw Alice last night. Liked it. Didn't love it, but enjoyed it very much. It was a little wrapped up in it's own aesthetic... I mean, how could it not have been, but still.

Also, it's official. I don't like Crispin Glover and never will. He's off-putting. And his animation was strange... which added to my discomfort with him.

Alan Rickman is great, as always. Was my favorite performance by far.

Hmm what else... no dark under eyes and cascading black hair for the cast. It seems Burton has given up the quest to always make Johnny Depp look like him in movies, in hopes that that makes him look like Johnny Depp.

It was very pretty. Costuming was gorgeous, very easy to spot new trends (for those who are interested).

The crowd was obnoxious. I mean, it's the midnight showing of a Tim Burton remake of Alice in Wonderland, of course it's gonna bring every emo kid in the area dressed up in their finest converse, frilly skirts, hoodies and cascading hair. I shouldn't have been surprised.

LOL! You just saved me from writing my own review! I went to a 10pm IMAX 3D showing and was surprised to see people dressed up. Never crossed my mind this would be "one of those" kinds of films, but apparently I was wrong. The girl next to me wa sin a Mad Hatter top hat like the one Depp wore in the film. I guess it's been a while since I've been in a Hot Topic b/c I didn't know they were available for purchase.

Again, I agree w/ your assessment of the film, and if I felt like I was not the target demo for this film. I also think it'd be a very odd film to expose a child under 11 or 12 to.

A moat full of floating heads that Alice has to cross isn't something you'd want your six-year-old to see, right?

I disagree though, I thought the creepiness of Crispin Glover shined on beautifully as The Knave.

I probably will never watch that film, but I am goign to my third rollerderby bout tonight! Big Easy Roller Girls bring the pain!

Werd. Saw it last night with Ben. There weren't too many Alicephiles, but I saw a top hat or two in the crowd...IMAX 3D is definitely the way to see this one.

I thought it was visually pleasing and Johnny Depp was...well himself, lol...

On the Crispin Glover character, he was great as his usual creepy self, but I do agree that his animation was strange and it bothered me.

Loved the March Hare.

Avatar made me want to claw my eyes out and piss at the fucking wounds it was that woeful as something other than a technical excercise as to what can be done with graphics.

I just finished watching The Departed. 10/10.

Movie milestones are rarely ever that good as actual movies. It stands to reason that the first movie to begin the next generation of computer animation in movies should be a relatively unremarkable one as well. Just ignore the hype and it'll eventually just go away as all flash-in-the-pan movies do. Every few years somebody'll bring it up but it's not going to be the next Blade Runner or even the next Star Wars. That's the beauty about quality and crap, they both seem to stand out more as something ages.

Infernal Affairs > The Departed, by x10.

^obligatory quote of IMDb message board cockends everywhere along with "God what is with all the remakes, why doesn't hollywood stop copying everone else and come up with something original!" and "This wasn't funny at all, I watched it with my friends and none of us laughed AT ALL!" :2T:

I kid, I kid. That may well be true and I need to get around to watching those movies to see if I agree, but every time I hear it I feel like not watching them out of spite. (Don't blame yourself, I'm just jaded from hearing it so much.)

no no, the "original is ALWAYS BETTER" crowd is only right...well, more than half the time, but for the wrong reasons, granted.

i just genuinely felt IA was far more subtle, and Leung & Lau both gave standout performances, whereas Jack just took his character and uh, played Jack instead. worse yet, the "extra ending" the US version got was so tacked on as to speak ill of american crowds, which really didnt sit well considering how much respect i have for the director. i implore those who enjoyed Departed to go back and see IA, there's one scene where its way too overt, but most other areas, i enjoyed it almost scene for scene...not sure how well itd work seeing them in this order, though.

Peter%20and%20Vandy.jpg

oh my god!! why?!?! please avoid.

200px-Julie_and_julia.jpg

more of a drama than a romantic movie, this one is best served cold. like amy adams, but it's hard to realte to these characters and actually care what the hell they are going through. check out enchanted.. yes, it's disney but it's damn good.

200px-Chaos_theory.jpg

some really funny moments in this movie. i was pretty happy with the way things were going till about halfway and the end. something about it could have been better. i just don't know what. comon, i review em, not make em.

200px-Knockedupmp.jpg

an above average film about a little unexpected suprise... yes, it's not new, but i am behind the times. i can't help but be annoyed at the guy... but then he grows on you like a cancer that won't go away. gotta respect him somehow by the time it's over. so yeah... not bad.

200px-Forgetting_sarah_marshall_ver2.jpg

OMG! enough with the penis shots... (on the unrated version). this movie is a diamond in the rough. it's quite funny and it has Mila Kunis (my first time seeing her) and she definately made this one easier for me. ok, ok, so the review here is slightly skewed... but dammit - this is definately a good rom-com. it doesn't take itself seriously (coming from the makers of 40 year old virgin and knocked up) so if you liked those, try this one.

200px-Twenty_seven_dresses.jpg

Not as charming as enchanted and 500 days of summer, but this one really is close!!! definate recommend. It's got mr one eye from x-men and Katherine Heigl who i havent seen in any other movie. Basically typical cookie cutter rom-com but it actually works really well for these two. the ending is really sweet. (if anyone brings up this statement, i will deny everything!!!)

200px-New_in_town.jpg

Go Renee!!! ok, now that i got that out of the way... here's another cookie cutter rom-com. it's just ok. watch if you really like renee or harry connick jr playing a southern boy.

Edited by spiffytee