Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Just saw 9... visually wonderful, and I loved the themes. The story could have been expanded a bit, I think, but I think that about a lot of the things Tim Burton is involved in. Though he only produced this, so I'm not sure how much of the fault I can put on him.

And I saw Inglorious Basterds for the second time the other day, and was thrilled to find out it was even better the second time. Jesus, just the opening scene could have been a short film in and of itself, it was so goddamned brilliant. That french actress that played Shosanna (Melanie Laurent, IMDB says) really did the most credit to minimalist acting I've seen in awhile, quite apart from being really cute, and the german guy who was Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) was the complete opposite in acting style and is just super amazing... funny and polite and shrewd. Truly wonderful.

As far as the movie goes, you're meant to know that it's not trying to be a historical film from pretty much the very beginning, because the Inglorious Basterds didn't exist. And a bunch of other stuff that's completely historically inaccurate. And as far as the Kill Bill similarity, I didn't think it was too striking. Yes, they're both sort of revenge fantasy, alternate realities, but that's pretty much it. It wasn't as much the tale of Shosanna going for revenge as much as Kill Bill was for Beatrix. And as much as I absolutely adore Kill Bill (and anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely adore those ((that? he always said it was more one continuing story than a story and it's sequel))) movies, and have watched them over and over again, I think this one was better.

Yay for going to the movies! I wish it wasn't fucking 20 dollars a pop to go see them.

Anybody who gets bent out of shape about the historical inaccuracy doesn't really get the movie and hasn't been watching World War 2 movies that didn't deal with concentration camps. I think the point when you realize that it's 1944 and the allies haven't invaded Normandy yet that something's not right. And I would argue that all World War 2 movies dealing with the allies that aren't Saving Private Ryan are terribly historically inaccurate. Look at The Great Escape, Kelly's Heroes, The Dirty Dozen, and The Inglorious Bastards (the Italian movie with the correct spelling) they all had characters that were clearly Vietnam-Era soldiers who just happened to be in World War 2. Hell, Oddball from Kelly's Heroes was the most obligatory hippie I've ever seen.

Yeah, I have friends that refuse to watch anything that isn't historically accurate, (walked out of Gladiator, no joke) but there isn't much out there that is.

As far as Basterds goes, I would even argue that it can't be properly called historically inaccurate, because it's not trying to portray actual historical events. An actual historical context is as far as they go.

Yeah, I have friends that refuse to watch anything that isn't historically accurate, (walked out of Gladiator, no joke) but there isn't much out there that is.

As far as Basterds goes, I would even argue that it can't be properly called historically inaccurate, because it's not trying to portray actual historical events. An actual historical context is as far as they go.

All due respect, your friends sound like dickheads. :FHD: Seriously though, expecting a fictional film to be completely historically accurate is just dumb. Walking out of Gladiator due to historical inaccuracies is like refusing to watch Deadwood b/c the actors had zippers on their trousers. Anachronisms in dramas go all the way back to Shakespeare.

All due respect, your friends sound like dickheads.

I agree. They're pretentious. It's less anachronisms though, and more the events. And if they mess around with motivation, pretending they did something for a different reason than they really did it. Of course, without the adding and subtracting of storylines and motivation, you generally don't have a very exciting movie.

I tell them that they don't even know what historical inaccuracies there are in their history books, as we weren't there and have no idea what the scholars have gotten wrong.

I mean, after all, Jesus and Cleopatra were black.

Say, you're not friends w/ Baytorh8r5000 are you?

Well we both hate Stanley Kubrick and the decisions of the writers in pretty much everything post season 1 of Heroes...

I do love Donnie Darko though.

A little off topic, but speaking of.... WE HAVE YET TO HAVE MEET UP! We should remedy this.

I know... I think a drinking and video game night have been needed since about a year and a half ago. And now you have Beatles Rock Band, so... yeah, sounds good. Whereabouts do you live?

Well we both hate Stanley Kubrick and the decisions of the writers in pretty much everything post season 1 of Heroes...

I do love Donnie Darko though.

I know... I think a drinking and video game night have been needed since about a year and a half ago. And now you have Beatles Rock Band, so... yeah, sounds good. Whereabouts do you live?

I'm in Bedford, in between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Not this coming weekend, but the following we have three days off, so maybe Friday or Saturday night we should FINALLY DO THIS!!!

The Hurt Locker. Words cant really describe the tension built up in this film, well, words other than WOW and holy shit.

Saw it last week (thanks for the link again). I wasn't blown away by it (puns!) like all the Net hype led me to believe, but it was a decent enough film. The characters are never really fleshed out, but the protagonist is a crazy-ass bomb squad hotshot--one of those guys you almost love-to-hate. A solid B on the Mr. Hakujin movie grading scale.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Seconded. Wanted so much to like the Hurt Locker... the trailer made it look so great, i posted it in the trailers. I could see where it was trying to go, but it didn't come together well. DVD boy was funny - that "pocket" was interesting. Oh well, i guess i just have to go back to bigelow's strange days with peter gabriel song at the end.

forgot to mention on the hurt locker... gotta be less than B for me. and now:

burn_after_reading.jpg

burn_after_reading_poster.jpg

Quite a funny movie. Not sure if the correct term is "black comedy"? Anyway, this ensemble cast keeps you glued cause they are all quirky in their own way. It doesn't take itself seriously and likes to make fun of beaucracy. It has an element of drama to it, but now i gotta see a few more cohen brother films.

tumblr_kom6hma2KJ1qzk68fo1_400.jpg

Yeah, it's not a recent movie. Mabye that's a good thing! Again, this is a quirky fellow with english humor. Deep down, it's a children's movie of adventure and exploration and color. Be forewarned it has a little dash of romance or something like that. don't think too hard. i didn't. Again, it doesn't take itself seriously and it really goes overboard with poking fun with the government. in a good way :dammit:

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing but the Truth

nothing_but_the_truth.jpg

Great flick. The only reason it did not make the noms is because the distribution firm went bankrupt before release, so it went straight to DVD. I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5. I really enjoyed it. Alan Alda is great in this flick, and of course I lurves me some Kate Beckinsale.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the special edition of The Hustler w/ Paul Newman, George C. Scott & Jackie Gleason. Awesome film! A story about damaged people learning to love set in the world of poolhalls. Scott was awesomely menacing. This edition has an option where a professional pool player gives commentary during all the big pool scenes as well as some great mini docs. Recommended purchase!

51No6GPEoOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Rented a couple of Blurays there last night.

Watched this

51POKHt4MoL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dennis Quaid played a jaded Detroit detective, who's not got a relationship with his kids, he's thrown himself in to the job since the wife died of cancer. The film starts with a gruesome discovery on a frozen pond. And goes from there. To be honest Jan and I picked out who the bad guys were pretty early in the film, but it was a moderately entertaining thriller none the less.

3/5

Edited by soldier of fortune