Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

man keep yo book stuff inna thread

looking back, Rob Stark was hella dumb

1) he gave his word in season 1 to use grey's bridge, then married "for love" when he coulda kept her onna side or something like Tyrion. i know it sounds harsh but dude had a war to win to avenge his father/house; even if shit didn't go so brutally awful, walden could've easily not given him the troops he needed to survive for that decision.

difference between him & eddard is that his old man would've kept his word and died trusting someone later

(this does not at all justify the atrocity of you know breaking a sacred sanctuary oath to stab your woman in the belly, but you know)

2) that clan member who killed the lannister kid, yeah he had it comin but that could've waited till the war's end, i get playing your part & all but was anyone really questioning his leadership/checking for his spot? beheading that guy lost all his bannermen while you needed them the most.

I'm less salty with Theon now that he lost his junk for his stupidity, and also because the other kids are too young to do anything for a while, though i stand by the potential of losing Arya as a dealbreaker for me.

also: assuming any of Rob's lot are around (kertins argues they're not but at least where the show left, they should be? though the preview for the next makes it look like they might not be long for this world) why couldn't Stannis the Mannis turn some of them around to his cause? i wanna say his claim for the throne is the next legit one, yeah? also, congrats to this show for making me want the guy with the evil cult witch bitch and her wicked vagina shadow magic to take out the lannister's, with white walkers/dragons playing safety.

though i stand by the potential of losing Arya as a dealbreaker for me.

I was saying during the slaughter, I can handle all of this as long as Arya makes it.

also, congrats to this show for making me want the guy with the evil cult witch bitch and her wicked vagina shadow magic to take out the lannister's, with white walkers/dragons playing safety.

This is crazy talk

How are you rooting for Stannis over Daenarys?

axels yakety sax did not make that more tolerable man

This is crazy talk

How are you rooting for Stannis over Daenarys?

of course it's hard not to root for danny, but she's playing simearth and building her team...i'm honestly wondering if she'll make it before the white walkers at this point. i'd rather see some lannisters die in battle with humans first, but i guess ill take what i can get

ps tyrion is of course bottom of that deathlist, though i have to admit Jamie's dropping down too now that he's slightly more likable, despite punting children through windows

Dany does not have Davos on her side.

also this, #TeamOnionKnight

WHAT. THE. FUCK?

G.R.R. is a fucking cunt. I just...I...what the fuuck?

I don't think a fictional story has ever made me so angry, I just want kill Lannisters (I have to keep reminding myself they're just characters).

Talisa and baby Ned dies, and I'm "fuck you", then Robb and Catelyn go down, and I can't speak, then Robb get's up and Catelyn grabs the cunt's wife and I'm thinking "ohh okay, they get away with your one as a hostage, then, Catelyn's dead, but Robb gets away and kills the fuck out of them next season or something, then...I don't want to play anymore."

Right now, I hope Jon and Arya get the fuck away from everyone (Tyrion as well) and the White Walkers just kill everything. Fuck Daenerys as some half arsed consolation prize, fuck the Baratheons, just...what the fuck?

Edited by alive she cried

I think Daenerys is probably best suited to rule at this point, but as it's been stated, who the fuck knows if she makes it over. Really hope Sansa gets the fuck out of Kings Landing also. She should have taken those sword classes with Arya. Hardcore rooting for Samuel too. That poor dude got a lot of badass points for actually killing a Whitewalker. More of that please.

Re: Red Wedding, Only one I'm gonna miss is Catelyn. I actually did like that character and she was the smartest of the whole family, only wish she had a less of dick son who listened. the brutality of all that is what made it so damn gut wrenching. If it got toned down at all, I wouldn't care so much. Now we have consolidated storylines at least....

did sam pick up that dagger before running off, though? that's some rare loot to leave behind if not

also, again, Sanza's one moment at relevance/making a difference was when joffrey was standing on the ledge & showing her her father's head...sure, the beast-guard might've stopped her, but if she'dve moved quick enough, she coulda ended her useless existence and at least taken a piece off the board

I gotta say, it wasn't quite as brutal in the show as it was described in the book. TV spoilers...

Robb's wife getting jabbed in the belly until lil' Eddard Jr. was goo was a fucking bit of surprise brutality though. On the other message boards people were sure she was a Lannister spy, so her death did come as a surprise to me. Also, Great John was sorely missed. Although, maybe Osha & Rikkon will see him next season. The showrunners chose to focus just on the 3 Starks, but seeing Robb's men fight in the RW would've been a bit better to perhaps make the audience believe the Starks had a chance, even if only briefly.

Cat's reaction to Robb's death was quite subdued compared to the book. However, that moment before Robb died when he said, "Mother," was hearbreakingly perfect. Ditto for making the change from Moonboy to Black Walder's bride as Cat's vengeance victim.

Re: DOJ's book spoilers...

I think they'll skip showing the desecration of RObb & Cat's bodies in the TV show. They'll likely have Arya and the Hound overhear some townspeople discussing it or more likely Cersei or someone discussing it in King's Landing. This is how the exposition went in the books if I recall, no POV character saw it, we only heard people discussing it.

Also, I think the RW will be the event that emboldens Sansa to seek escape from Kings Landing. Two weddings down and two to go. Although, Petyr & Lysa's won't likely be shown since it wasn't in the book.

Re: Red Wedding, Only one I'm gonna miss is Catelyn. I actually did like that character and she was the smartest of the whole family, only wish she had a less of dick son who listened. the brutality of all that is what made it so damn gut wrenching. If it got toned down at all, I wouldn't care so much. Now we have consolidated storylines at least....

Big spoiler from the book regarding this...

Seriously, it's a huge spoiler...

For real, though. For really reals...you don't even want to know this.

There really is a spoiler of great magnitude for next season, possibly next episode.

Okay, one more down and Imma give it up like chainmail under Roose's sleeves...

You ain't gonna miss Cat for long. Her corpse runs in to Thoros on her way down the river. And you know how he do w/ corpses.

did sam pick up that dagger before running off, though? that's some rare loot to leave behind if not

also, again, Sanza's one moment at relevance/making a difference was when joffrey was standing on the ledge & showing her her father's head...sure, the beast-guard might've stopped her, but if she'dve moved quick enough, she coulda ended her useless existence and at least taken a piece off the board

1. No, he left it. Typical Sam. smh

2.That's S1 shit. We really need that spoilerd? Eh...

I hated her for a long time for that reason. You can see it cross her mind in the TV show, but the Hound stops it. You can excuse her in that moment b/c of the shock, fear, and ignorance of her. However, there's a much more legit reason to hate Sansa in S1; when I read book one, it's made clear that Sansa tells Cersei about her dad trying to sneak her and Arya out of King's Landing. So his imprisonment is a direct result of her adolescent rebellion and idiotic desire to stay in King's Landing so she can take Joff's demonseed and spit out his hellspawn. She's such a cunt. So, yeah, that's an actually legitimate reason to hate her. Adolescent or not.

Then S2 & book2 both make you sympathize w/ Sansa more. You realize the actress playing her on TV is an Amazon supermodel, but the character is only 13 years old and is Joff's plaything. And then next season shit's going to get even more complicated. She's got a big pit to climb out of from S1 as does Jaime. But by book 4 I'm rooting for both characters.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

seriously, can ya'll keep the book spoilers in the book thread? there's too much room for overlap here.

ASC - yeah, that was me yesterday, man. i usually stay quiet on twitter/FB about stuff but i just couldn't, and having had Walking Dead/etc spoiled there before i said fuck it, danced around it as best i could though.

Haku - it's odd to say "wasn't as brutal as" but then describe what i thought was the most brutal part of it...that said, yeah i haven't read the book/dont really want to invite that, but given how that entire scene's absent, , struck me as odd.

plus, the entire ep does so well to lull you into this completely false sense of security: some people ive seen said that the bride turning out beautiful should've been a big flag, but really, it wasn't until the doors sealed & the awful lanniester theme played that i noticed much of anything...by the time cat saw the chain mail/gauntlet shit was 5 minutes past too late.

watched the scene again (shit was admittedly hard to do at the time) just to see the setup/execution, so to speak...i have to admit, it felt masterfully done. only problem i had was why cat was so close to walder & didn't go after him instead, but i'm not gonna monday morning quarterback someone in that position, really

*edit wait shit you sure he left it there?! GODDAMMIT SAM

Haku - it's odd to say "wasn't as brutal as" but then describe what i thought was the most brutal part of it...that said, yeah i haven't read the book/dont really want to invite that, but given how that entire scene's absent, , struck me as odd.

Yeah, I see how that can be a bit confusing. What I meant was...

In the books the slaughter of the Stark men was put in to much more detail--both in the hall and outside in the camp around the Frey's tower/castle. Limbs severed. Eyes gouged. Blood spatteringeverywhere. Men drinking with each other one second and the next a Frey putting a dagger through a Stark skull. Great John being shot and hacked at yet still fighting despite being quite drunk. (They alluded to this wine's effect in the show when Walder said the wine would flow freely. Roose also hinted at it when he didn't take any wine. ) So in the book the carnage was described on more of a mass scale whereas the TV show replaced all that slaughter w/ a single grizzly act of goo belly.

*edit wait shit you sure he left it there?! GODDAMMIT SAM

Yeah, he did. I watched the scene again to be sure.

S3E8 spoilers...

When the walker disintigrates you can see the dagger lying there on the snow where his body once was. It's a useful weapon against walkers. Sam calls it dragonglass and says the maesters call it obsidian earlier in the season. If you remember Sam found a whole cache of obsidian weapons in the first episode (or was it last season?). Apparently he only took the one dagger though.

Fucking

Tywin.

Motherfucker's got a cool song too.

This is supposed to be spoiler tagged, right? o_o

Not sure if you recall, but it's called "Rains of Castamere," which is also the title of S3E9. Cersei explained the origin of the song in probably the most awesome way possible to Margaery Tyrell in the previous episode, S3E8. A lot of foreshadowing there.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin