Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

I'll find the page when/if I ever have the gumption, but there's an issue of She-Hulk from the late 80's - early 90's or something. Back when it was briefly both funny and good.

Anyway, she gets a message on her machine, and it's almost word for word from Black Kiss, except Comics Code Approved, natch. It makes no sense in the context.

It ends with her saying "Oh god, I hope none of my readers got that joke". I wanted to applaud.

Black Kiss should be read though, and it's when Howard Chaykin was near his peak. It has a TWIST! A TWISTY TWIST!

I haven't read this new one. Ol' Coward Faykin is on my list of folks who haven't done shit for me for a long time, so it's very low in the queue unless someone tells me how fantastic it is.

No one has.

Did you read the first one?

Yeah, I read the first one. It read like the Vivid XXX parody of The Hunger. The last 3 or 4 chapters were interesting at least but I just didn't care for the writing, it was fairly juvenile and pretty offensive. Every female character in the book was written like Howard has never met or spoken to a woman for more than ten minutes in his life.

Edited by Iambaytor

X-Factor # 242 - This is only good if you're a furry...really hope this arc ties up soon.

Invincible # 94 - we've got the hype of #100 looming, while Mark's on the bench and robot guy/monster girl's side story drags along. slow week all around.

AvX # 10 - hate it less cause of kung-fu, but it still needs to end.

Daredevil # 17 - quality as usual, thank god.

Green Lantern # 12 - we're dangerously close to Blackst Night shit, but this sequel could work, if it stays self-contained i guess.

Walking Dead # 101 - not an awful epilogue but everything seemed forgotten too quick, even if it was only 1 issue. prolly gonna let a few issues go by & catch up on an entire arc like i usually do.

time to catch up on TMNT, Spawn, Saga and then new stuff like RASL, Snyder-Bats, Science Dog and maybe cosmic marvel, maybe X-force.

• 1 month later...

Finally about halfway through my X-Statix omnibus. It's great rereading this stuff, although getting through these 400 lb books is pretty much the only time I'm reminded that I have a bit of a handicap. It's physically painful for me to bear the weight on my left arm for too long.

I'm still overwhelmed by the insane novelty that Peter Milligan and Mike Allred were allowed to do an X-book, and for more than a one shot. It's like a fever dream.

I've read the last one.

Seemed a bit of a cop out to kinda kill everyone off, but then again. It was their choice to do so, so it is in keeping with the overall tone of the book, I guess. There was a line Loop said that summed it up nicely, something about killing a bunch of people and feeling nothing about it.

Loved the series as a whole though. Lot of morality.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read the last one.

Seemed a bit of a cop out to kinda kill everyone off, but then again. It was their choice to do so, so it is in keeping with the overall tone of the book, I guess. There was a line Loop said that summed it up nicely, something about killing a bunch of people and feeling nothing about it.

Loved the series as a whole though. Lot of morality.

Suck it "NZA" (if that is your real name)

Ross what have you read so far? Is it just Y The Last Man, Transmet and 100 Bullets?

p.s. still weird seeing you post 'round these parts.

I wasn't slagging, I was just saying it in a "You've only read three books? You luck bastard, you've so much goodness ahead"

I haven't read Planetary, but The Walking Dead is some of the greatest writing ever in this medium. I could name loads more titles, but why bog you down? The Walking Dead is calling, my friend.

Edited by alive she cried

Planetary is quite good, but guys who are deep into comic books take for granted that much of the nudge-wink fan service relies on some our knowledge of silly pop culture tidbits. Many of which you'll no doubt get, but many of which you won't simply because you didn't waste a childhood thinking about shit like how The Invisible Woman can see if she bends the light around her.

Your mileage may vary.

You should read Preacher, since we're knocking out the classics.

Yeah, I got Scud because the price was right, and that's the same reason I've twirled the Bone one in my hands at the shop many a time.

But these days I'd rather spend a little and get a nice, big hardcover that's still gonna be in good shape when I die and pass my burden collection to my kid.