Hondo's Bar

X-men Origins: Wolverine

:drama:

Do you mean the Deadpool figure pic from the last page? The pic that blows the films credibility apparently out of the water?

Dr G- I disagree. The front page logo is awesome. The only thing missing is sunshine(overcast weather is no aquatic-Nuclear-basketball weather).

Regarding the movie, My stance is still that, the first 40 minutes are great & I hate to figure(Deadpool reimaginings aside) how this movie goes from that to some terrible, Schumacher affair.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish I'd actually typed on here, what I've been saying for the last few weeks which was that: The first 40 mins set up an action-packed but character driven story, true to the comic sensebilities and looks to be pretty fucking awesome. It's odd that it should generate so much hate, but surely the last half hour isn't so terrible it could invalidate the whole movie? Surely?

Heh. Yeah...

Latest trailers make it look like my worst fears realized as wasting of characters goes

On another note, going back a couple of pages, HUSH was alright, and as a villain he SUCKED HARD in that series, other writers... ok Dini anyway, has used him to much better effect, especially by fleshing out his backstory and making him more credible than the emo whiny man-child he was in the first series.

Back to X-Men Origins, I again say... PLEASE DON'T SUCK!!!! God X-men 3 killed me a little bit inside.

It's no X3, but well, it's mostly a good movie until the last half hour spent almost entirely cocking up everything. It's a blockbuster, sure, but a slightly clumsy handling of a great story at heart, and some great characters. The fact that Shane, at the very beggining during the Alberta/Origin stage of the story, made a very vocal 'Ohh' of suprise at the first unsheathing makes me wish I'd forced Origin under his nose prior to seeing the movie, so the moment spent two masterful issues building toward could have had so much more effect.

Some random thoughts:

-Why oh why isn't the Weapon X sequence longer? I want to see wild naked wolvy tear up that lab and be the animal they keep talking about but never get around to showing.

-the credits say weapon XI was played by some other actor, not Reynolds. WOnder why...

-What was the reason for Stryker giving Wolvy the adamantium in the movie? yes, yes, creating a superweapon, but then Stryker's master plan is stealing powers to create Deadpool and he's already got all of Wolverine's powers in Creed if he wants to give them to Weapon XI.

-Wolverine blocking cyclops' force beam with his claws? What bullshit. The beam doesn't work that way.

-Why the fuck didn't we get wolvy hair, like in Xmen 1?

-According to the movie, there was no actual wound on silverfox when she faked her death. her heart was beating at a very slow rate. Aren't these things that a man with super sense would pick up on? He can hear Stryker say he's gonna mindwipe him from under a tank of water 50 feet away!

-WTF was up with the horrible Prof X at the end? They couldn't afford to pay Patrick Stewart to come in for a day of shooting? They had to use the lamest CGI insertion I've ever seen?

-WHy were so many of the CGI scenes so laughable? I mean, Wolverine and Silverfox talking in the car alone was pathetic for the way the background was moving. And the walking away from the exploding helicopter... I've seen better CGI on Xena, warrior princess.

x-3 was a cinematic abortion. this was a made-for-tv movie.

this should have been on SciFi...which still makes it better than X-3.

I don't want to turn this into an X3 debate thread b/c I know the hate is strong w/ you, but for any real X-fan Angel busting through the window after his dad tries to "cure" him, Kitty vs Juggernaut, Madrox's cameo, & Logan putting down Jean is all the validation X3 needs.

My review of the real film in question, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, is here.

Man, I don't know what everyone's problems are. This movie was fun. Some of the CG was laughable, particularly looking at his claws in the bathroom, but the movie was solid. It was never going to be as good as X1 or X2 because those were movies that centered on the themes of X-Men comics: prejudice, discrimination, isolation, the Brotherhood/X-Men philosophy divide, etc. This movie was not theme-driven, it was character-driven. But it was still fun. I don't know what people wanted out of this movie that they didn't get.

Man, I don't know what everyone's problems are. This movie was fun. Some of the CG was laughable, particularly looking at his claws in the bathroom, but the movie was solid. It was never going to be as good as X1 or X2 because those were movies that centered on the themes of X-Men comics: prejudice, discrimination, isolation, the Brotherhood/X-Men philosophy divide, etc. This movie was not theme-driven, it was character-driven. But it was still fun. I don't know what people wanted out of this movie that they didn't get.

A decent fuckin' plot and bloody, spectacular Wolverine fight scenes that put the previous X-films to shame. Fail on both accounts.

Okay. I've seen it in the theatere here are my gripes:

MORE DEADPOOL LESS LIGHTBULB GUY.

Deadpool was handled in the most horrid way ever. I'm sure for average movie goer he was fine, but let's face it, Deadpool is like "spiderman with the total fucking cool factor". I'll leave it at that. Lightbulb guy...not as cool.

Since when did Emma Frost become half indian? her sister is a watered down version of Silverfox?? WHY? The WTF factor there is mind boggling, to say the least.

Okay, we can't give you the really cool skeleton, there mister Sabertooth, becuase the 'tests' proved you won't survive, but we can give them to Wolverine, despite the fact that we haven't done any tests on him, becuase there's no way in hell we could have done any tests on him, seeing hows just within the last 6 years of him being gone we finally got the "rock from the sky" in order to do any tests with. MORE WTF??? (do the writer(s) think we are so stupid? ARE WE SO STUPID???

Wolverines don't howl. mmmkay? So fuck you and stupid 'orgin' on the whole 'native american' story. Major fail.

WillIAm needs MOAR SCREEN TIME (token teleporter?...*I DIE HAHA*)? But we're going to fuck Gambit on the big screen till his 'cajun' asshole bleeds. kthnxbi.

Ug. I give up. I gave up at X3. Same reason I gave up on the X men as a whole. Just really fucking ignorant writing.

Oh and I'm DRINKING TO FORGET THE MOVIE. haha. ohhh japan, ninjas (MARIKO, silver samurai blah blah blah)!!! I could write the next one whilst taking my next shit. I bet my turd would be way better than what the fuck ever they come up with next.

There's more but whatever. Who cares, it fucking SUCKED.

i thought it was pretty cool. i thought deapool was handled better than what i had been hearing. (staying after the credits was well worth it). and i thought liev shreiber [sp?] was an awesome sabretooth. not tremendous but a very entertaing flick to me. you cant have all the mutants be in it the whole movie. it was wolverines story after all.

Oh yeah, Dr G just reminded me of that stupid wolverine howling at the moon bit.

It caught in my mind right away. "WTF? That's not right" but then I was looking forward to Sabretooth getting all medieval on her ass, so I shut it out.

This movie was not theme-driven, it was character-driven. But it was still fun.

I disagree heartily.

This movie took on one of the most eternal themes in humanity, which is defining human from animal.

The early Wolverine comics made their reputation on this. This MOVIE itself tried to focus on it. And there's been tons of great movies that used just this one theme to create awesome plots and charactization: Lethal Weapon 1 & 2 stand out for me just this moment...

But, in Wolverine, every time someone said "Release' the animal" or "You''re not an animal" (and it was a lot) it seemed meaningless, like they were saying it in a vacuum, because there was nothing in this movie that made me feel like Wolverine was having a genuine struggle to control his bestial nature. That scene with the two rednecks on the bridge was just laughable: badly shot, paced and acted. Compare that bridge scene with the Wolverine cuts the shotgun barrel off in Xman1. That scene in Xmen one had LESS dialogue, a quick ad nasty 'show' of how close to losing control Wolverine was.

That's why I felt the movie could benefit from having a longer Weapon X sequence.

And wolverine's anger isn't that believable on a lot of levels. He's making jokes with Wraith! WTF. Your woman just got brutally killed like 5 minutes ago and you're cracking jokes? I mean, dark humor I appreciate, but these were lighthearted, completely out of place, jokes.

I agree with Dr. G again: THis was a complete cock-up in execution by the writers. I blame the director too, but the writing, if what we see is an accurate reflection of what they intended, is more convoluted than it needed to be, lacks drama and lacks focus.

I don't know what people wanted out of this movie that they didn't get.

Um, I posted a list a page ago...

Archived