Hondo's Bar

X-men Origins: Wolverine

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hellboy 2 was good! It's funny how when I see comic movie of a book I didn't read - I like them! Constantine, Hellboy 1 and 2 and I think everyone feels that way about Blade movies (subsequent books they tried to put out EVEN a MAX book SUCKED) Why is that? Are peeps too in LOVE with the book? I mean where does 'take it for what it is' come in? Check your fanboy-ness at the box office except when its to awe at the things that MATTER - Logan chomps cigars, says "bub" and pops his mother fuckin' Adamantium claws MUCHO can life get any better? I submit that it cannot.

WAS classic, but as far as memes go that one the lowest shelf-life I've ever seen. I mean All Your Base lasted longer than that shit.

Yeah, but AYBABTU wasn't half as entertaining. And not to be teh Internets* grammar police, but saying something "was classic" is a contradiction of terms. "Classic" implies that it is enduring and if something ceases to be enduring (as you imply of the clip) then it in turn could not be a "classic."

*Talk about outdated memes...

• 2 weeks later...
Preaching to the brain-washed choir, brougham.I used to argue alla time with Nick that Jackman'd need to be cut at the knees and kept in a cage for 3 months on a diet of yoghurt & stale bread to play a proper Wolverine.

Who the fuck ever read Alpha FLight to even know who that is. Just cause they're not mainstream doesn't make 'em cool, oh chair of the Slap Stick fanclub. SHort and angry is pretty much 80% of what Wolverine is. What're you left with?

... :)

You... you liked X3 but are aprehensive about this trailer? I figure digesting Xmen 3 in any positive fashion makes you kinda like one of those guys at the sideshow that eats glass.

..LMAO!!!!

ps.. Nick... comon man.. hes got way too many lines even! and he doesnt even know MARTIAL ARTS!!!!! are u serious? my boy spent half his life in Japan bonin female yakuza bosses! he couldnt even keep up with lady death stryke in part 2.. gimme a break.. hes givin wolvie a pretty-boy wuss streak if u ask me

yeah, until either of youse can name somebody you'd imagine would make a better :) , you should really take a step back and look at Jackman knocking it outta the park. dude looks like a young eastwood, and that's what miller/cleremont had in mind for his design.

you kids want a 5'3" overweight midget in spandex. seriously, go watch more comic flims: jackman's a gift to the role. hell, watch his first scene in X1, the barfight where he draws on the dude with the shotty. jackman even studied the character's movements, and has named numerous solid arcs (in issues of wizard) as good material for a movie. i couldnt see a better guy for it.

After Ledger's joker, I think Jackman's wolvie is the most accurate portrayal of a comic book character I've ever seen.

Well, there's Paul Giamatti as Harvey Pekar, and I still think Tobey McGuire as Peter Parker was a great choice (Raimi supposedly really had to push to studio execs on that one, because they wanted someone with a bigger name who was more of a action movie star). And Robert Downey Jr made me forget that there was ever a Tony Stark before him. And we all knew Patrick Stewart was born to play Professor Xavier. And shit, Mickey Rourke and Marv....

I like Jackman as Wolvie, but 'most accurate portrayal of a comic book character' it was not.

Well, there's Paul Giamatti as Harvey Pekar, and I still think Tobey McGuire as Peter Parker was a great choice (Raimi supposedly really had to push to studio execs on that one, because they wanted someone with a bigger name who was more of a action movie star). And Robert Downey Jr made me forget that there was ever a Tony Stark before him. And we all knew Patrick Stewart was born to play Professor Xavier. And shit, Mickey Rourke and Marv....

I like Jackman as Wolvie, but 'most accurate portrayal of a comic book character' it was not.

I said he was second most not most, but mickey rourke was better as marv. So Jackman's third.

The other's you listed were all fantastic but i'd have jackman above them (in accuracy, not performance)

Like I said, I am not the kind of guy that gets hung up on accuracy, 1) because source material for adaptation is never sacred, and 2) somethings work in a certain medium that don't work in another (the classic example is yellow spandex). That said, Jackman as Wolvie is not strong contender of accuracy when held up against so many very accurate portrayals. Like I said, I don't even think Wolvie's even the most accurate portrayal in an X-Men movie (I'd go with Xavier). I could probably expand my initial list...Ron Perlman as Hellboy suddenly comes to mind (another actor the director had to fight for, the studio wanted Vin Diesel).

I said he was second most not most, but mickey rourke was better as marv. So Jackman's third.

The other's you listed were all fantastic but i'd have jackman above them (in accuracy, not performance)

Mah. As far as I'm concerned the greatest matching of actor/character is Iron Man. Downey's troubled past basically is Tony Starks, replace science for acting & albeit sans suit. Rourke works playing a half-crazy brawler, but there's no way Mickey Rourke the actor has half as many conversations with himself in his own head in reality. The contents of MR's brain, as far as I can tell, are the ape sequence from 2001: a Space Oddessybeing acted out in a giant beer jug. If he had a gun, it's name'd be 'Ungh'.

Jackman's done wonders for the role of Wolverine the way Jamie Fox made Ray Charles beloved to a new generation, same for Joaquim Phoenix & Johnny Cash. Accuracy & popularity are ships passing in the night.

• 2 weeks later...

study his movements huh... wheres dat short man arch in his back huh?! o_O boycott jackman baby! (im just kiddin i gotta see it.. but still movements he doesnt gotz mang.. ill give u they maybe need to glue sumore hair on him and ill b happy.. and learn sum FIGHTING SKILLZ... FIGHTING SKILLZ MAN! I had enuff watching this guy fly thru da air in random moments as if he had strings draggin him across da room -_-.. u think im lookin forward to that fight with sabretooth in that weapon x knock-off movie? no man.. im not.. but im praying i was wrong about this like i was about dark knight...

AND YES ironman was perfect if u ask me.. spiderman iz also friken awsome.. iz da best comic movie so far besides dark knight and anythin by frank miller

study his movements huh... wheres dat short man arch in his back huh?!

So he's not Wolverine without scoliosis? :blink:

I mean Ryan Reynold's isn't a hulking mass of nothing but muscle, nor are his fingers as big aroudn and as hotdogs but I think I can live with him as Deadpool even if his face doesn't look like human popcorn.

I can live with Ryan Reynolds being any damned thing or one he pleases. :wink:

Baytor- sounds like you haven't looked to any Deadpool past the early Kelly/McGuinness stuff(admittedly there's not much point).

I considered reading Cable/Deadpool but I picked one up and then I saw it was a Liefeld cover and said "Oh fuck that." I'll pick up The Essential Michael Morbius before I start reading Liefeld again. ('Sides if I want a fix of Rob's greatest work I've got a drawer filled with old issues of X-Force I picked up at flea markets throughout my many escapades, even got a couple issues of Image's Tribes which are nothing short of horrific, I swear Savage Dragon was the only good thing to ever be spilled forth from Image)

the chick= lady deathstrike? maybe? (as far as hellboy 2 all i say is editing kay? seriously) but other than that wolvie's mum is the only thing i can think of. However with a new storyline it could always be something outta left field. A mentor? lover? I'm going the lover route myself (and the mum to be honest with the other chick, without clicking on Nick's link i see this + the saving of Storm, as a young child in the works) . I have to imagine these people set up the enigma that is wolverine, however, the enigma also makes the charecter...if you know what i mean. Hopefully wolvie doesn't get caught in the stigma trap.

Only time will tell. I WILL be seeing this in the theater however.

Archived